There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Myth About West Coast Offense QBs

They say you need a mobile, accurate, intelligent Quarterback to run the West Coast offense. Not the most physically gifted guy, and not necessarily one with a great arm. They say -- they being most posters on the webzone and most of the beat writers including maiocco and Lynch -- that you have to have intangibles and that they refer back to Montana, and for some reason never Young, and occasionally thrown in a Shaun Hill, a Tom Brady or, in the current class, a Dalton, a McElroy or a Stanzi as similar type players -- even though none actually played in the west coast offense.

Its a niner-centric point of view, that ignores the accomplishments of Walsh's disciples in other organizations: McNabb, Favre, Elway and Vick are all guys that have had accuracy issues, all guys who rely heavily on arm strength, all guys who would never "fit" the west coast offense. And yet they all succeeded in WCOs that are more recent and therefore more likely resemble Harbaugh's offense than Harbaugh's offense will resemble Walsh's. i made this point in an email to Maiocco recently, he re-iterated that he thought a WCO should have a "short motion." i guess that rules out Kaepernick...but i think his limitations, like Newton's, would be in any offense regardless....its not like the WCO is the only offense that requires mobility or accuracy or the ability to make reads....so i don't see Newton, Kaepernick, or mallet as any less of a fit for us than Vick, McNabb, and Favre in their versions of the WCO.
Jeff Garcia was a prototypical WC qb. Not the best at anything but had the necessary skills to be a good WC qb.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying we should get a inaccurate immobile lumber jack who is retarded to play QB?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying we should get a inaccurate immobile lumber jack who is retarded to play QB?

Resign Alex Smith?
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Resign Alex Smith?

Don't even start. Seriously.

Resign Alex Smith?

4 posts in and already an Alex Smith comment...
Originally posted by Janitor:

Resign Alex Smith?

its not even funny and its lost its meaning

alex smith is the most underrated and overrtted on this board he doesnt suck hes not great hes average period
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Janitor:

Resign Alex Smith?

its not even funny and its lost its meaning

alex smith is the most underrated and overrtted on this board he doesnt suck hes not great hes average period

No, he does suck. Really, he does.
IN BEFORE THE

Why isn't steve young talked about as a great west coast qb... Is that because he had an arm, he could out run anyone of our running backs at the time???

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 30, 2011 at 21:05:25 ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
IN BEFORE THE

Why isn't steve young talked about as a great west coast qb... Is that because he had an arm, he could out run anyone of our running backs at the time???

Cause he's another dick, just like Bubba Paris.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
IN BEFORE THE

Cause he's another dick, just like Bubba Paris.

I heard he was really cool from pretty much everyone who's met him.

Originally posted by Surly-Z:
They say you need a mobile, accurate, intelligent Quarterback to run the West Coast offense. Not the most physically gifted guy, and not necessarily one with a great arm. They say -- they being most posters on the webzone and most of the beat writers including maiocco and Lynch -- that you have to have intangibles and that they refer back to Montana, and for some reason never Young, and occasionally thrown in a Shaun Hill, a Tom Brady or, in the current class, a Dalton, a McElroy or a Stanzi as similar type players -- even though none actually played in the west coast offense.

Its a niner-centric point of view, that ignores the accomplishments of Walsh's disciples in other organizations: McNabb, Favre, Elway and Vick are all guys that have had accuracy issues, all guys who rely heavily on arm strength, all guys who would never "fit" the west coast offense. And yet they all succeeded in WCOs that are more recent and therefore more likely resemble Harbaugh's offense than Harbaugh's offense will resemble Walsh's. i made this point in an email to Maiocco recently, he re-iterated that he thought a WCO should have a "short motion." i guess that rules out Kaepernick...but i think his limitations, like Newton's, would be in any offense regardless....its not like the WCO is the only offense that requires mobility or accuracy or the ability to make reads....so i don't see Newton, Kaepernick, or mallet as any less of a fit for us than Vick, McNabb, and Favre in their versions of the WCO.

Back on topic, The West Coast Offense is a timing offense and a complex system, so a QB needs at least some intellegence and accuracy. Mobility is a little less important in my mind, but it's still preferable that a QB possess it than not. What? are you one of those guys who wanted Nate Davis to be our starter?

Okay, Okay, That last part might have been in poor taste. Oh well.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Damn rathman, you beat me to it. You must have posted while I was looking for a good pic. lol. Oh well, you know what they say, great minds ect.
Well it's because Walsh was never so over-simplistic in his evaluation of quaterbacks. No one is saying that those who you listed CAN'T make it, it's just that Walsh's offense emphasized things other than size and arm-strength. You CAN have a QB who has intangibles AND touch AND can read defenses quickly AND size AND mobility... it's the reason why those QBs today (opposed to the early 1980s) are usually at the top of the draft.

So I'm not going to quote the entire article, but here's what Walsh said:

A quick delivery , one that is not telegraphed to help the defense, gives the quarterback an advantage when he finds his intended target. That's when it is essential to get the ball "up and gone'' with no wasted motion. Some of this can be acquired by learning proper technique. But to a certain degree, a quick release is related to a quarterback's reaction time between spotting his receiver and getting the ball "up and gone.''

Touch is important, especially in a medium range passing game. One of Joe Montana's most remarkable skills was putting the right touch on a pass so that it was easily catchable by a receiver, who often did not have to break stride.

The ability to read defenses is not something that players have learned to a high degree coming out of college. Even if they have, the pro defenses are very different. But most systems require quarterbacks to look at primary and secondary receivers, usually based on the defense that confronts him. You can see if he locates that secondary receiver -- or maybe even an emergency outlet receiver -- with ease or with a sense of urgency.

This should work like a natural progression, not a situation where it's -- "Oh, my gosh, now I must look over here ... no, over there.'' You can see which quarterbacks handle these situations with grace. These are the types who have a chance to perform with consistency in the NFL.

Mobility and an ability to avoid a pass rush are crucial. Some quarterbacks use this mobility within the pocket just enough so they are able to move and pass when they "feel" a rush. But overall quickness and agility can make a remarkable difference. As an example, there were some very quick boxers in Sugar Ray Leonard's era, but he was quicker than they were and because of that he became a great champ.

Quarterbacks must be able to function while injured. The pro season is about twice as long and more punishing than a college season. They are vulnerable to getting hit hard every time they pass. They must be able to avoid being rattled, get up and show they are in control and can continue to lead the offense.

The single trait that separates great quarterbacks from good quarterbacks is the ability to make the great, spontaneous decision, especially at a crucial time. The clock is running down and your team is five points behind. The play that was called has broken down and 22 players are moving in almost unpredictable directions all over the field.

This is where the great quarterback uses his experience, vision, mobility and what we will call spontaneous genius. He makes something good happen. This, of course, is what we saw in Joe Montana when he pulled out those dramatic victories for Notre Dame.

Also I think what's not here is that QBs can be developed - which is what Walsh thought of Young and ultimately he was right about Garcia who he brought to the 49ers also.