There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Player lead workout sessions

I've read in several articles that alot of teams players are taking charge and leading workouts and conditioning regiments, which I think is great. I also read that our players mostly consisting of O and D lineman are doing the same...but they only list several players... I guess my question for whoever is privvy to the inside info is : Are the two first rounders Davis and Iupati working out with them??? I know most players live in different areas but you would think being rookies (however professionals) that they would want to learn and get as cohesive as possible. It was just a thought and wondered if anybody knew.
Justin Smith & Staley are leading them. A little bird told me that the whole o-line will be there along with the defense!
Seriously no lie. My friend also mentioned that Alex Smith has been there.
Originally posted by wailers15:

So I guess i wouldn't rule out an Alex smith scenerio. i bet when this is all said and done he sings a 1 or 2 yr deal.
wailers15 you in here talking to yourself

Alex Smith has been working out almost everyday at the Niners facility, well up into the workout. This isnt new news, the Matts have reported it multiple times
The group is likely the same one that had been showing up regularly at the team's facility beginning in February. According to a team spokesman, that group included Staley, Smith, guard Adam Snyder, guard Chilo Rachal, defensive end Ray McDonald, defensive end Isaac Sopoaga (after he returned from a trip to Samoa), outside linebackers Parys Haralson and Thaddeus Gibson and quarterback Alex Smith.

Kicker Joe Nedney also was a regular at the team's facility. Nedney said Monday he has been taking a bag of balls to a local field and kicking there. Who's his holder? "PVC pipe," he said. Judging from various Twitter accounts, other 49ers are keeping in shape in their home towns.

Linebacker Takeo Spikes, for instance, wrote earlier this month that he had been working out alongside Patrick Willis in the Atlanta area. A source close to Michael Crabtree said the receiver has remained in the Dallas area and has a workout routine that includes running hills.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/03/staley-justin-s.html#ixzz1HLRjLNsb
we need team building and chemistry. The lines are only 2 parts of many. With everyone else working out seperately I don't think it will make much of an impact if any.

This cancer needs to stop infecting the rest of our team.
Originally posted by valrod33:
The group is likely the same one that had been showing up regularly at the team's facility beginning in February. According to a team spokesman, that group included Staley, Smith, guard Adam Snyder, guard Chilo Rachal, defensive end Ray McDonald, defensive end Isaac Sopoaga (after he returned from a trip to Samoa), outside linebackers Parys Haralson and Thaddeus Gibson and quarterback Alex Smith.

Kicker Joe Nedney also was a regular at the team's facility. Nedney said Monday he has been taking a bag of balls to a local field and kicking there. Who's his holder? "PVC pipe," he said. Judging from various Twitter accounts, other 49ers are keeping in shape in their home towns.

Linebacker Takeo Spikes, for instance, wrote earlier this month that he had been working out alongside Patrick Willis in the Atlanta area. A source close to Michael Crabtree said the receiver has remained in the Dallas area and has a workout routine that includes running hills.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/03/staley-justin-s.html#ixzz1HLRjLNsb

Whose this guy think he is...Jerry Rice?
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
we need team building and chemistry. The lines are only 2 parts of many. With everyone else working out seperately I don't think it will make much of an impact if any.

lol Yeah, thats kindof what guys do in a normal offseason anyways.

But with the niners I think organized workouts like those have by far the least amount of benefit for any team in the NFL. Sure they can do typical conditioning drills and perhaps some basic plays... but they have no offense. And they have no defense. And most of all they have no QB. They couldn't be any WORSE off heading into the lockout.

Its not like they're out there learning the nuances and complexities of Harbaugh's offense. If nothing gets done on the labor front by lets say, August, this is the type of offseason that could easily set the 49ers back another 2-3 years... and perhaps crush any chance Harbaugh had of coming out of the gates with early success.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:

But with the niners I think organized workouts like those have by far the least amount of benefit for any team in the NFL. Sure they can do typical conditioning drills and perhaps some basic plays... but they have no offense. And they have no defense. And most of all they have no QB. They couldn't be any WORSE off heading into the lockout.

Its not like they're out there learning the nuances and complexities of Harbaugh's offense. If nothing gets done on the labor front by lets say, August, this is the type of offseason that could easily set the 49ers back another 2-3 years... and perhaps crush any chance Harbaugh had of coming out of the gates with early success.

True. It probably would benefit them much better to not practice at all together. Not worry about building some chemistry that you can't build when the season is underway. Hell why work out at all? "They couldn't be any WORSE off heading into the lockout.?" That is why you practice with what you have. They could be worse by just going into the lockout blinded and totally off guard.

I don't know. To me it just seems like, why would they do it if it's not beneficial to the team? I just don't get how this will not make an impact. Players practicing together doesn't benefit the team? I think this is the time the players can get to know each other, make adjustments between them, learn new skills and such. This time is just as vital as any other part of offseason.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

True. It probably would benefit them much better to not practice at all together. Not worry about building some chemistry that you can't build when the season is underway. Hell why work out at all? "They couldn't be any WORSE off heading into the lockout.?" That is why you practice with what you have. They could be worse by just going into the lockout blinded and totally off guard.

I don't know. To me it just seems like, why would they do it if it's not beneficial to the team? I just don't get how this will not make an impact. Players practicing together doesn't benefit the team? I think this is the time the players can get to know each other, make adjustments between them, learn new skills and such. This time is just as vital as any other part of offseason.

WTF???? Where did I say any of that? Where the hell did I say it wouldn't be beneficial?? Please try to read my post again. I said out of all the teams in the NFL, organized workouts benefit them the least. Can you not see the difference? Where did I say they shouldn't workout together? You completely missed what I said and took it your own direction. My points were valid and next time if you are going to quote me, perhaps you should actually respond to them instead.

Of course working out together is beneficial. But when you have very little to practice and learn, it makes it hard. My point was it benefits them far less than lets say a team like the Patriots or Jets. And you mentioned working out together would help players "get to know each other"??? These are all the same guys who played last year... If they don't know each other by now, then they're in serious trouble.

Once again though, I never said they shouldn't work out together. My point was they are seriously behind the 8 ball with the lockout and the longer this goes the worse off this team will be. They are behind just about every team in the league as far as this goes.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

WTF???? Where did I say any of that? Where the hell did I say it wouldn't be beneficial?? Please try to read my post again. I said out of all the teams in the NFL, organized workouts benefit them the least. Can you not see the difference? Where did I say they shouldn't workout together? You completely missed what I said and took it your own direction. My points were valid and next time if you are going to quote me, perhaps you should actually respond to them instead.

Of course working out together is beneficial. But when you have very little to practice and learn, it makes it hard. My point was it benefits them far less than lets say a team like the Patriots or Jets. And you mentioned working out together would help players "get to know each other"??? These are all the same guys who played last year... If they don't know each other by now, then they're in serious trouble.

Once again though, I never said they shouldn't work out together. My point was they are seriously behind the 8 ball with the lockout and the longer this goes the worse off this team will be. They are behind just about every team in the league as far as this goes.

Harbaugh probably slipped Alex a lot of notes about the WCO when they were meeting with eachother, he is probably sharing that with the other offensive players. Not quite as good as a playbook obviously, but better than nothing.