There are 212 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You bet...I really enjoy reading his articles. A breath of fresh Cohn air...
way better than his cock breath dad
Grant Cohn has written for the Press Democrat and is a regular contributor to CSNBayArea.com. He will be contributing to “Inside the 49ers” on a regular basis.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/about/
All fans think all reporters are great when they are merely reporting things they see.

All fans think all reporters suck when they start giving their own opinions on why things are.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If our team was located in Philly or New York, you would see the writers deliver striking commentary on the problems with this team. Unfortunately, we have a group of really nice guys who make Pollyanna look like a skeptic. I wish the writers would ditch the puff pieces and give us the truth: We are struggling to snap the ball correctly to the QB, we have a QB controversy a few weeks before the season begins, and a front office that amateurish, at best.

The media would have crucified the Jets, Giants, Eagles, Bears if they sent a mass e-mail to other teams attempting to trade a player, or if their owner went on the airwaves to state that the lack of significant signings in free agency was because the other teams were "scared of us".

At least Lowell Cohn is around. He is not afraid to tell the truth.
What QB controversy? There isn't one.
Yeah, he's been pretty dedicated to his reports. It's cool that he does his best to relate what he sees, without pretending to be a coach or an expert. I also like that he asks his readers if there is anything particular about practice that they would like to read about. He's really putting in a solid effort. Barrows and Branch are more creative and funny, and Maiocco gets a lot of information from sources (at an obvious pro-Niners slant), but Cohn (Grant, of course) has jumped up among the ranks of the writers that I look forward to reading everyday.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
He's becoming what Maiocco used to be, before Maiocco became a non-bias/non-opinionated boner for Mindi Bach; selling out to the devil (CSN).

Anyone other than Ray Ratto is swell with me. That guy is a grade A doucher
Originally posted by AmpLee:
If our team was located in Philly or New York, you would see the writers deliver striking commentary on the problems with this team. Unfortunately, we have a group of really nice guys who make Pollyanna look like a skeptic. I wish the writers would ditch the puff pieces and give us the truth: We are struggling to snap the ball correctly to the QB, we have a QB controversy a few weeks before the season begins, and a front office that amateurish, at best. The media would have crucified the Jets, Giants, Eagles, Bears if they sent a mass e-mail to other teams attempting to trade a player, or if their owner went on the airwaves to state that the lack of significant signings in free agency was because the other teams were "scared of us". At least Lowell Cohn is around. He is not afraid to tell the truth.

So positive news = puff pieces

Negative news = truth

I'm glad I don't live in your world.

no s**t. any living in those areas listed and beings fans of those teams would make Niner Talk seem tame; those are the most miserable fans ever, all they do is hate and complain.
Working his way into my 3rd.

MM was really off his game last season. This season he seems to be okay again, but he's lost his top billing for me.

MB has been kicking but for 3 years now and is the first beat writter I read. It seemed like before he was trying too hard.

Originally posted by toeknee:
Agreed

this
His discussion on tight ends almost seems written posthumously. Man, Bill was money.

Now there is one more type of tight end -- the great, all around type who is a Hall of Fame type. He is so gifted that he can do all of the things you would usually require two types of tight ends to do.

That type of player makes this a unique position in the NFL. One man who can do all these things, the great, all around tight end becomes the essence of the National Football League. And there have been very few -- John Mackey, Mike Ditka, Jackie Smith, are the only two who have made the Hall of Fame.

Interestingly, I believe Tony Gonzalez of Cal this year has the potential to become that type of all around great tight end.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SJniner7:
If you guys didn't live in the past so much, the present wouldn't be so painful.

One should NEVER disregard the past. That is a recipe for failure in the future.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pick6:
So... I got to thinking 30 starters drafted in 10 years... that should be a pretty good team, so here is the DRAFTED team -
QB - Joe Montana
RB - Roger Craig - Earl Cooper
FB - Tom Rathman
WR - Jerry Rice, John Taylor
WR - Dwight Clark
TE - John Frank, Wesley Walls
OT - Bubba Paris
OG Guy McIntyre
C Jesse Sapolu
OG Bruce Collie (1985 - 5th round)
OT Steve Wallace

DL Jim Stuckey, Pierce Holt, Dewaine Board,
DL Michael Carter, Daniel Stubbs
DL Kevin f*gan, Larry Roberts
LB Keena Turner, Keith DeLong
LB Riki Ellison
LB Bill Romanowski
LB Charles Haley
CB Ronnie Lott, Tim McKyer
CB Eric Wright, Don Griffin
S Jeff Fuller, Chet Brooks
S Carlton Williamson

Ok. I know that I might be missing some.. Dwaine Board and Bruce Collie were left our originally (perhaps I should have read what was wrote before me...). Regardless wow... thats pretty impressive. Especially when you consider guys like a handful of starters that were already a part of the team in 79 and continued to play throughout the 80's.

And to add some more intrigue to the draft thing. The starting lineup for the 1989 team only had 4 (YES FOUR) players NOT drafted by the 9ers. Brent Jones (steelers), Matt Millen (raiders), Jim Fahnhorst (vikings) and Mike Walter (cowboys). Most of the guys mentioned above were starting.

Sorry, I just can't stop laughing that Kevin f*gan's name in your post is automatically edited with an asterik to avoid a gay slur.

Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
His discussion on tight ends almost seems written posthumously. Man, Bill was money.

Now there is one more type of tight end -- the great, all around type who is a Hall of Fame type. He is so gifted that he can do all of the things you would usually require two types of tight ends to do.

That type of player makes this a unique position in the NFL. One man who can do all these things, the great, all around tight end becomes the essence of the National Football League. And there have been very few -- John Mackey, Mike Ditka, Jackie Smith, are the only two who have made the Hall of Fame.

Interestingly, I believe Tony Gonzalez of Cal this year has the potential to become that type of all around great tight end.

I believe that is from Finding the Winning Edge which was published in 1998. BTW, that is a great book. Worth the investment.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If our team was located in Philly or New York, you would see the writers deliver striking commentary on the problems with this team. Unfortunately, we have a group of really nice guys who make Pollyanna look like a skeptic. I wish the writers would ditch the puff pieces and give us the truth: We are struggling to snap the ball correctly to the QB, we have a QB controversy a few weeks before the season begins, and a front office that amateurish, at best.

The media would have crucified the Jets, Giants, Eagles, Bears if they sent a mass e-mail to other teams attempting to trade a player, or if their owner went on the airwaves to state that the lack of significant signings in free agency was because the other teams were "scared of us".

At least Lowell Cohn is around. He is not afraid to tell the truth.

I agree the bay area media with the exception of Lowell, Kawakami, Ratto and few others are all a bunch softies that will not say anything to offend anyone.
Share 49ersWebzone