There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Nate deserved better than Manusky's 10 yard off-coverage, and definitely deserves better than the 49ers fanbase. At least he was well compensated for us wrecking what was (at the time of the signing) a good career.

I actually read somewhere that the DBs are often given a choice of whether to line up in press or off coverage.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Nate does piss me off sometimes; his sloppiness in technique/coverage is mind-boggling for a veteran CB. But there's no doubt that he could be a mean safety for us, if he was willing to renegotiate his deal, put his pride aside and realize that he doesn't possess CB skills anymore.

Clements at FS, Goldson at SS with Reggie Smith backing up both positions and playing nickel. Then you have Taylor Mays continuing to learn the pro game and blowing fools up on special teams...that would be a damn good safety unit.

damn good is a bit much, its the same unit we had last year plus 1 more guy whos never played the postion before

I was thinking more in terms of athletes, abilities and overall secondary experience.

I guess if you choose to believe Clements can't play FS (even though he seems to have the covers skills, tackling ability and years of general experience in a pro secondary for THAT role) and that the other guys will regress or stay the same, you could be right.

Looking at it positively though, Clements might be a better fit as a safety than a CB at this stage of his career (many former elite/good CBs flawlessly make that transistion), and Goldson has a year under his belt of making the calls, which frees him up to make more plays. Smith is a year removed from finally getting extended playing time (that should serve him well), and Mays is no longer a rookie.

"Damn good" may have been a bit much...but if things fall right (and they do from time-to-time in the NFL), it may be accurate.

Clements doesn't have the mindset to be a FS. He said him that he is "a corner".

Nonetheless, Clements doesn't nearly have the range at FS nor does he have the coverage skills. Having an overaggressive and relatively slow DB who consistently bites on double moves is not really an ideal FS. I think we can do better.

I actually think that having Goldson at SS would be disastrous. He can't blitz very well and he is by far the worst tackler on defense. He may be suited to a more "out-of-the-box" role but his tackling ability still worries me.

-9fA

Clements has plenty of range and cover skills to play FS. You don't need to be overly fast or even have great man-cover skills to play that role (which is why bad/slow CBs can make good safeties). You're not as exposed in those areas because you're generally playing areas/space as opposed to a man (which Clements can't do very well anymore). You play angles, read routes and react to the ball in the passing game, and provide run support (another thing he's good at).

Btw, the FS/SS roles are pretty interchangeable these days, so whether Nate plays SS or Goldson does in this scenario, is kind if irrelevant.

And so is my post if they cut him today.
Nate deserved better than Manusky's 10 yard off-coverage, and definitely deserves better than the 49ers fanbase. At least he was well compensated for us wrecking what was (at the time of the signing) a good career.

I actually read somewhere that the DBs are often given a choice of whether to line up in press or off coverage.

-9fA

General rule is you dont play press unless you have safety help over the top.
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:

-9fA

General rule is you dont play press unless you have safety help over the top.

Good point. I'll have to find the article.

-9fA
He had some great hits, but more costly misses, later holmes.
It is a smart move. Throw the money at a younger player[s]
  • rob28
  • Veteran
thank god i've been waiting for this day. see you later nate! now we can sign Nnamdi and draft peterson.
[ Edited by rob28 on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM ]
F**k Nate Clements. Not worth the money.
So if he isnt cut today do we have to pay his whole salary for 2011? Or can we still cut him after the draft? Anyone know how that works?

Whats the difference in cutting him today or in June? Whats the advantage/disadvantage if you will.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM ]
So if he isnt cut today do we have to pay his whole salary for 2011? Or can we still cut him after the draft? Anyone know how that works?

Whats the difference in cutting him today or in June? Whats the advantage/disadvantage if you will.

No difference.

No difference.

TY then I expect we wont do anything till after the draft. I love schefter but he is off on this one. Absolutely no reason to cut him unless he wants out. If so, so be it.

No difference.

TY then I expect we wont do anything till after the draft. I love schefter but he is off on this one. Absolutely no reason to cut him unless he wants out. If so, so be it.

Yup. The 49ers hold all the cards here and can release/waive Clements at any time with no negative impact to their 2011 books. In fact, it frees up a ton of payroll.

No difference.

Yup. The 49ers hold all the cards here and can release/waive Clements at any time with no negative impact to their 2011 books. In fact, it frees up a ton of payroll.

This is great. Now we can sign Alex Smith to a multi-year deal.
Originally posted by ritchie:

No difference.

This is great. Now we can sign Alex Smith to a multi-year deal.

No difference.

This whole cba ordeal has me all confused right now. I thought we couldnt sign or extend players, hand out play books, etc. Then I see Hawk signs a deal today after beign cut yesterday. I think I got it now though, thanks. I cant wait till all this junk is over with.

So we are only on the hook for the 2011 salary but we were already on the hook for that no matter what.