LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Vernon Davis- A look back (2006)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LINK

Ahhh memories!
I love Vernon Davis! I'm really glad we drafted him even though TE wasn't nearly our top need in 06. He has turned into a star, a team leader and IMO he still hasn't reached his potential. He works hard and I see him really breaking out under Harbaugh and having a huge all-around season.
If he ever gets a QB and with Harbaugh knowing how to use him he will be rediculous. He's still good with idiot Head Coaching and a very questionable QB situation.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If he ever gets a QB and with Harbaugh knowing how to use him he will be rediculous. He's still good with idiot Head Coaching and a very questionable QB situation.

This this this

Dude will break records at the TE spot that won't be broken for a long long time if we get a good QB and Harbaugh uses the tight end like he said he is.

I feel like every year with a different OC, I hear the same thing "WE WILL UTILIZE THE TE IN OUR OFFENSE" and yet I never really saw it besides 1 year. We have a special player in VD and i'm tired of seeing all these years go by as wasted time.

Not only with VD, but Willis, Gore, Crabtree. I don't want to waste any more years losing with these players. We have some special talent on this team and I can't wait to see the time where the rest of the world realizes it.
I was so glad when gb picked aj hawk instead of vd. I kept saying since they spent a first round pick on a te bubba franks they will not do it again. People kept arguing that vd was bpa and thats what teams do......gb had a bad d and no lbs so i knew they would take hawk. I was still nervous though. Once they picked hawk i knew he was ours
I was so pumped when we selected Vernon. IMO he is easily worth the pick and has grown into the best all a round TE in the NFL. It took him a while, and he was on the verge of being a bust, but a core member now and one of my favorite Niners.
Vernon Davis certainly wasn't a popular pick on these boards a few years back. A number of the very experienced posters around here were saying that you NEVER draft a TE that high, period. But, I think the fact that Vernon Davis is an absolute freak changed that. When I was in grade school, the fastest guy in the NFL was Bob Hayes. Vernon Davis weighs 50 lbs more than Hayes, is four inches taller than Hayes, and incredibly, he's faster than Bob Hayes. I just find that amazing.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for Young2Rice.
That was a good, talented draft. Especially the first round.

I'm glad we scored big with VD and didn't pick Matt Leinart like the Tardinals He was by far the worst player picked in that first round.

VD is a game breaker and is not a typical TE. He has WR skills (needs more work on the hands) but can block like a TE. In fact, he can block like a tackle....

Some guys we passed up for VD

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I'm glad we scored big with VD and didn't pick Matt Leinart like the Tardinals He was by far the worst player picked in that first round.

VD is a game breaker and is not a typical TE. He has WR skills (needs more work on the hands) but can block like a TE. In fact, he can block like a tackle....

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali
Id take VD over anyone on that list except Haloti Ngata
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He turned out to be the best all around TE in the NFL today.

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali

I agree.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali

I agree.

_______

I disagree.

Both are elite players. But it is far easier to find players like Ngata and plug them in immediately (not easy...easier). Guys with Vernon's measurables, all around skills and production can't be found...ever.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali

I agree.

_______

I disagree.

Both are elite players. But it is far easier to find players like Ngata and plug them in immediately (not easy...easier). Guys with Vernon's measurables, all around skills and production can't be found...ever.

Yeah thats true. But Ngata is a monster on D. IF we picked him i'd be happy. If we picked those other guys i would be mad we didn't pick VD or Ngata.

Either way, they are both good players and i'm happy we got VD.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Michael Huff
Haloti Ngata
Jay Cutler
Brodrick Bunkley
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali

I agree.

_______

I disagree.

Yeah thats true. But Ngata is a monster on D. IF we picked him i'd be happy. If we picked those other guys i would be mad we didn't pick VD or Ngata.
I'm so glad that we have Vernon Davis. He's a "one of a kind" talent and he has become one of my favorite 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone