LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Harbaugh graded David Carr as a 6th Round Draft Pick in 2002

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TlSSER:
David Carr - QB - 49ers

As an assistant with the Raiders back in 2002, Jim Harbaugh reportedly graded No. 1 overall pick David Carr as a sixth-rounder.
While Harbaugh has stated his admiration for Alex Smith at least a half-dozen times since taking over as head coach, he's been coy on Carr's status. Based on his initial evaluation, Harbaugh will be looking to move in a different direction at backup QB.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/02/harbaugh-talks.html

That's so funny
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Easy to say this stuff after hes already been in the league 9years.

Where were these opinions of Carr back in 2002 or even 2003??

He graded David Carr when he was in Oakland. Why would he grade David Carr when Harbaugh is in college football and Carr is in NFL?!?

The reason you didn't hear about it in 2002, because he wasn't at a very high position with the Raiders, and not everyone release their grades.

Its just funny how these articles surface, when the QB's mentioned have been in the league for awhile. I mean, you would think back then before the hype of Harbaugh that these types of articles would've surfaced somewhere along the line BEFORE this year.

You could use your second sentence as an excuse why these articles or evaluations haven't surfaced till now. But you would think to add to his credentials during his time with the Raiders that articles would've surfaced.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

He graded David Carr when he was in Oakland. Why would he grade David Carr when Harbaugh is in college football and Carr is in NFL?!?

The reason you didn't hear about it in 2002, because he wasn't at a very high position with the Raiders, and not everyone release their grades.

Its just funny how these articles surface, when the QB's mentioned have been in the league for awhile. I mean, you would think back then before the hype of Harbaugh that these types of articles would've surfaced somewhere along the line BEFORE this year.

You could use your second sentence as an excuse why these articles or evaluations haven't surfaced till now. But you would think to add to his credentials during his time with the Raiders that articles would've surfaced.

Umm... You do realize he was working for the Raiders at the time, right? He wasn't sharing this information with the media. That probably wouldn't have gone over very well with his boss. Not that anyone would have thought it was worth reporting anyway.

I don't really read too much into what people are reporting about how he graded QBs in the past. I look at the results he's produced evaluating and developing QBs with the teams he's coached. He's done a good job and everyone who's been around him says that he knows his s**t. Good enough for me.

What's your deal?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Not really. The only reason why a source even mentioned this is because David Carr is on the roster and Harbaugh is the HC of that roster. If that wasn't the case, we would have never found this.

Have you ever heard how every other team in the NFL graded Montana? Or Tony Romo or Joe Flacco? No, because these things are not released to the public during the draft - and after the draft no one really cares. The only reason this is coming out is because Carr is on the roster.

Like I said before, I don't even think Harbaugh got it right. David Carr was a promising young QB after 2-3 years in Houston and if he didn't get hammered behind that line - he would have been a fine QB.

Not really. The only reason why a source even mentioned this is because David Carr is on the roster and Harbaugh is the HC of that roster. If that wasn't the case, we would have never found this.

Have you ever heard how every other team in the NFL graded Montana? Or Tony Romo or Joe Flacco?
No, because these things are not released to the public during the draft - and after the draft no one really cares. The only reason this is coming out is because Carr is on the roster.

Like I said before, I don't even think Harbaugh got it right. David Carr was a promising young QB after 2-3 years in Houston and if he didn't get hammered behind that line - he would have been a fine QB.

Not unless you're Jerry Jones.

-9fA
AS is DC 2.0, so for either to "blossom" suddenly under Harbaugh is pretty unlikely, but I guess we'll see what happens.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by GEEK:
I wonder what he graded Alex coming out of college.

I'm wondering the same thing.

If Harbaugh really sticks to what Walsh as always then regardless of rating at that time...he wouldn't drafted any QB #1 OVERALL! (If he could help it anyway)
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by GEEK:
I wonder what he graded Alex coming out of college.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Based on his comments Id say pretty high

But no one will ever know

I think he's doing the right thing with alex especially if there's going to be a lockout.
Carr wasn't the only one. Didn't Harbaugh grade another one low when everyone had him high?
Will Carr even be on the team next year? I mean if it's him or a rookie... I choose a rookie. lmao

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Have you ever heard how every other team in the NFL graded Montana? Or Tony Romo or Joe Flacco?
No, because these things are not released to the public during the draft - and after the draft no one really cares. The only reason this is coming out is because Carr is on the roster.

Not unless you're Jerry Jones.

-9fA

9FA -

Thanks for posting the blown up version of JJs draft board. I always heard that they had Anthony Davis as a 3rd round talent on this board, but if you look closley you can see that it says "Davis.A -SF 1 -11" I'm not totally sure what that means, but it seems like they thought we would grab him and we did. I'm not sure how you get him as a 3rd rounder from this pick?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Would be interested to know how he rated Aaron Rodgers also. Rodgers was more 'pro' ready but Smith was more athletic and mobile. They seems to rate equally even with slightly different set of plus and minus. My guess would be they would be first rounder with Harbaugh but in any other year they would be late first to second rounder.

What makes you say Rodgers was more pro ready?, because he wasn't in the shotgun 100%? He completely changed his throwing motion from his college days. He used to hold the ball up with two hands. His motion is now much quicker and his accuracy greatly improved. There is a reason Rodgers was not a top ten pick.

Would Rodgers have been able to make that change if he were drafted by the Nolan regime?

From what I remember, he played under center in Tedford's offense. People were knocking his throwing motion so he changed it to holding high. Totally stupid. He or the Packers must have thrown all that out and let him throw naturally.

Tedford coaches all of his QB's to hold the ball like that. Rodgers was not nearly the first, or the last, Tedford QB to do that.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

9FA -

Thanks for posting the blown up version of JJs draft board. I always heard that they had Anthony Davis as a 3rd round talent on this board, but if you look closley you can see that it says "Davis.A -SF 1 -11" I'm not totally sure what that means, but it seems like they thought we would grab him and we did. I'm not sure how you get him as a 3rd rounder from this pick?

I saw it on the middle row with the little name cards, second from the bottom. Sloppiliy written, "Davis A. TB 3-67". Where do you see the 1-11 SF?
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:

9FA -

I saw it on the middle row with the little name cards, second from the bottom. Sloppiliy written, "Davis A. TB 3-67". Where do you see the 1-11 SF?

What you're looking at doesnt look like davis...Look 3rd column, 2nd from the top looks like Davis, A SF 1-11
  • bfree
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:

9FA -

That says M. Lewis as in Myron Lewis who the Bucs took with their 3rd round pick #67 overall.
Share 49ersWebzone