There are 227 users in the forums

Fangio not impressed by Lawson (per Glenn Dickey article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
Draft Cam Newton please he won all his games in the SEC toughest division in college football he threw for 30 tds and ran for 20 tds he is just what 49ers need a true leader he won the heisman in a landslide the scout is right cam newton is only qb worth drafting in 1st round Gabbert threw 16td/ 9ints he is not good qb. I am tired of losing every year with all our weapons on offense this is a no brainer. DRAFT CAM NEWTON

u di no cam wont be effective for maybe like 2 years and will sit maybe for one of them

"WE WANT CAM!" does have a nice ring to it. The key is to bring in a guy who's name is easy to chant when Alex or the vet starter starts to fvck up. "We want Blaine" sounds weird. "We want Jake" may work. "We want Ryan" doesn't work at all. Neither does Andy or Christian.

I'm telling you...Cam is perfect.

Draft him!

lol

anyways harbrough has been at stanford for a while now and im sure hes played and and scouted all these qb prospects he should have a good idea on who he likes and wants to draft and teh fact hes complementing alex and wants him back proves that he doesnt feel like theyre any qbs in draft that will help us win now
he article sucks. Lawson is nOT one of the best Olb in the nfl. He is a little better than average. He is weak as a pass rusher - period.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Come on now oldman. Name me a player in the league who isn't gonna be a better player if he himself improves his play and the scheme around him is improved? The team can find any average OLB to set the edge in the run game, this team needs a dog to get after the qb.

Did you miss the point? Point being, how average a player can be made to look (in this case as a pass rusher) if the scheme isn't effective? If a rush LB sees the opposing QB have a pocket to step in and away from him with ease... how effective should that rush LB be expected to be? If a QB is getting rid of the ball underneath to a wide open receiver in 3 seconds or less, how effective should that rush LB be expected to be?

The big and legit gripe of Manny has been his ability to muscle through blockers... dip his hips and lean around blockers to snatch the QB. I get that, and yeah, Manny has not excelled at that. It's arguable whether he can improve that. However, I don't see how that quoted chart from PFF can be dismissed so casually.

If Manny wants a 5 year 40+ million dollar contract, sure... I'll quickly wave g'bye to him. Fact is, we don't really know how much he will be happy with. What we should know by now is that we need a legit pass rushing machine on the OTHER side of Manny at WOLB.

What you say in your 1st paragraph is just common knowledge. It applies to all. Of course you aren't gonna get a sack on every attempt. Granted Manusky scheme is way too passive. But did we ever consider it was passive b/c Parys and Manny can't rush the passer. Pass rushing is about one on one beating your man the vast majority of the time. Especially at OLB in a 3-4. You can scheme for them to stunt, or loop, or have different combo's of all 4 backers blitzing. But 9 times out of 10 on the outside it's one on one. Manny can't with any consistency at all beat tight ends, tackles, and backs. You can have that chart. I mean calculating hits makes it pretty lame. Can I see how many times the qb still completed the pass and was then hit? What difference does it make if you hit him after he completed a 20 yard pass? We need sacks, and pressures that lead to turnovers. Not Pressures that lead to completions. The guy isn't terrible just really average, and nothing special. OLB in a 3-4 pressure defense needs above average play.

Personally it's not even about how much he wants to get paid. I want a better player at the position. Same for Parys.
Keep manny and replace Haralson.!
  • cools
  • Veteran
I doubt Fangio would say that and I doubt Dickey has any "sources" within the Niner HQ
[ Edited by cools on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM ]
Doesn't surprise me...I think Fangio might be willing to bring LaBoy back, because he can get after the QB. He sees potential in Brooks..and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ahmad reach more of it now. It also tells me he'll lobby hard to get one of the premier pass rushers in the 1st rd. IMHO there will be no QB and probably not even a CB in the 1st rd. If one of the DL studs like Dareus should somehow slip to #7, he might be a viable option. Unless they re-sign Franklin, they may need to draft a NT and a DE to beef up the DL.
Draft Cam Newton please he won all his games in the SEC toughest division in college football he threw for 30 tds and ran for 20 tds he is just what 49ers need a true leader he won the heisman in a landslide the scout is right cam newton is only qb worth drafting in 1st round Gabbert threw 16td/ 9ints he is not good qb. I am tired of losing every year with all our weapons on offense this is a no brainer. DRAFT CAM NEWTON

u di no cam wont be effective for maybe like 2 years and will sit maybe for one of them

Thats what they said about Tebow he looked damn good last year. Cam Newton is an upgrade over Alex who may be resigned as a stop gag qb but he is not the long term answer at qb

he played like 3 plays here and there and played most plays in red zone only in goal packages designed specifically for him

and aex can be good he has had 33 td and 22 int last 2 years and sing was coordinator who has no clue how to gameplan magine how much better he will do with our new coaching staff

Get your facts straight man. Tebow started the last 3 or so games and threw for 300 yards in his second start. In his first start, he looked pretty good and had a 40 yard TD run or something like that. I think that even though everyone doubted Tebow, he will end up being on the best QBs in the league down the road, maybe 3-4 years from now. We'll see.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Thats what they said about Tebow he looked damn good last year. Cam Newton is an upgrade over Alex who may be resigned as a stop gag qb but he is not the long term answer at qb

he played like 3 plays here and there and played most plays in red zone only in goal packages designed specifically for him

and aex can be good he has had 33 td and 22 int last 2 years and sing was coordinator who has no clue how to gameplan magine how much better he will do with our new coaching staff

Get your facts straight man. Tebow started the last 3 or so games and threw for 300 yards in his second start. In his first start, he looked pretty good and had a 40 yard TD run or something like that. I think that even though everyone doubted Tebow, he will end up being on the best QBs in the league down the road, maybe 3-4 years from now. We'll see.

im with you on that i think he can be a great qb but he has to be in the right system
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Doesn't surprise me...I think Fangio might be willing to bring LaBoy back, because he can get after the QB. He sees potential in Brooks..and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ahmad reach more of it now. It also tells me he'll lobby hard to get one of the premier pass rushers in the 1st rd. IMHO there will be no QB and probably not even a CB in the 1st rd. If one of the DL studs like Dareus should somehow slip to #7, he might be a viable option. Unless they re-sign Franklin, they may need to draft a NT and a DE to beef up the DL.

LaBoy is a 1 trick pony, he can rush the passer fairly well. He is weak against the run and down right lousy in coverage.

As for Brooks, I am still not sold on him.

Harralson just needs to be released. He has been a big disappointment since he signed his current deal

I would much prefer keeping Manny.

• dj43
Lawson is a good player RIGHT NOW for the 49ers but would be even better in a 4-3.

It isn't his fault that the 49ers scouted him poorly. They wanted a pass rusher in the mold of Ware and Harrison and thought they could turn Manny into one. That was a bad miscalculation on their part.

If Lawson leaves, it will create one more hole on the roster that will need to be filled with a draft pick.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Jim Harbaugh says Razzano is not cool as a cucumber

-9fA
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Lawson is likely to make some team with a 4-3 defense very happy.

I think I'd agree with this. He's a solid player, but can't do the most publicized part of his position--rush the passer. It's too bad we'll have to let him walk. He's not the elite player our defense needs, but he's a good guy to have.

How often was he even given the opportunity to rush the passer? Seriously, he was rarely in the game on passing downs. Now that might say something about what the coaches thought about him vs other players, but then again most of the previous coaching staff's decisions were questionable so that means nothing.

I think Manny is an adequate passrusher and is better than most of the NFL at everything else. He does have his issues that need to be fixed in his passrush game (over-striding mainly) but if he was actually in the game on obvious passing downs, and the D brought some different looks/blitzes every once in a while, his sack number would be more than acceptable.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

QB Disruption Points = Sacks + Hits (0.75) + Pressures (0.75)

Then, to arrive at a score that measures productivity per rush, it’s simple: Pass-Rushing Productivity = QB Disruptions Points / Number of Pass Rushes x 100.

The Overall Top 10

POS Team Name Rushes PRP
LB San Francisco 49ers Manny Lawson 111 16.7
LB Kansas City Chiefs Tamba Hali 306 15.8
LB San Francisco 49ers Travis LaBoy 120 15
LB Green Bay Packers Clay Matthews 242 14.5
DE Atlanta Falcons John Abraham 218 14.3
DE Seattle Seahawks Chris Clemons 297 14.1
DE Minnesota Vikings Ray Edwards 277 13.9
LB Cleveland Browns Marcus Benard 129 13.8
LB Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley 236 13.6
DE St Louis Rams Chris Long 333 13.3

Never saw that stat, but it doesn't surprise me seeing as Manny seems to do pretty well when actually given that roll.
Originally posted by dj43:
Lawson is a good player RIGHT NOW for the 49ers but would be even better in a 4-3.

It isn't his fault that the 49ers scouted him poorly. They wanted a pass rusher in the mold of Ware and Harrison and thought they could turn Manny into one. That was a bad miscalculation on their part.

If Lawson leaves, it will create one more hole on the roster that will need to be filled with a draft pick.

This
What is Lawson worth, far as trading for draft picks?
Share 49ersWebzone