There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nedney or Reed?

Nedney or Reed?

Doesn't matter. Reed will walk, and Nedney will stay.

The front office won't send Nedney packing for Jeff Reed. Just not gonna happen.

Nedney stays.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I think we should just go for two every time we score a TD and then go for it on every 4th down and we could use that extra roster spot on a true contributor on defense.

then who does kickoffs

You want to get rid of Andy Lee and Brian Jennings as well? Never!

-9fA
Lets keep Nedney for the FG's under 40 yards and Reed for the longer kicks.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
How many old fans like me remember when we didn't give a crap who our kickers were (place kicker and punter)? All we needed was someone to make extra points and have a 35 yard punting average and it didn't matter cause we always had a top 5 offense and defense.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
How many old fans like me remember when we didn't give a crap who our kickers were (place kicker and punter)? All we needed was someone to make extra points and have a 35 yard punting average and it didn't matter cause we always had a top 5 offense and defense.

A kick is basically half a td, they add up even with an amazing offense and good defense when you're facing any half decent team. It is even more critical with our shaky situation at qb.

Punter...Well it sucks when your best player is the punter but at least you're starting in good position most of the time.

Anyway, I don't see the point in spending a 4th on a kicker, seems high with all of the needs we've got to address this offseason. There's no way we stack up depth at cb, pass rush(olb/de), QB, rb(tailback since we lost coffee and are probably losing westy), i'd even spend the 4th on another WR to compete against morgan before I spend that on a kicker...

It's easy to say half of those needs could be met in FA, but with the uncertainty of the CBA I don't see us leaving many needs unfulfilled and as of now we've got a couple decent kickers available already.

I prefer nedney when he's healthy, but how long is he going to be healthy? We won't always be able to find a guy who can just step in like reed did whenever nedney goes down and we don't want to have two kickers since that's a spot we could have someone else fill.

Reed does a good enough job to me, especially if we aren't making him try for 50 yarders all the time.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM ]
why am i not comfortable with the bad guy from The Incredibles handling the kicking duties
How bout that guy from Boise?
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Take a look at this kick. 26 yards. As easy as they come in the center of the hashmarks. No excuse to miss this. Yet the pressure is on. And he chokes, imo.

The fact that he missed another short FG (29-yarder) in OT confirms the choke.

Two field goals. Both 29 yards and under. The Rose Bowl (at the time possibly the National Championship) on the line. Undefeated season on the line.

We don't want this guy. He's a good kicker. But some just don't have it when it matters the most. Boise State found that out the hard way.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Take a look at this kick. 26 yards. As easy as they come in the center of the hashmarks. No excuse to miss this. Yet the pressure is on. And he chokes, imo.

Two field goals. Both 29 yards and under. The Rose Bowl (at the time possibly the National Championship) on the line. Undefeated season on the line.

We don't want this guy. He's a good kicker. But some just don't have it when it matters the most. Boise State found that out the hard way.

Wait... when did this happen?!?!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Wait... when did this happen?!?!

November 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM PT
If Nedney is healthy I would stay with him. They also picked up the young kid on the practice squad that supposedly kicked a field goal of over 65 yards. I would take a close look at him if he is still available.
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I think Reed will sign somewhere else, but I am worried about Nedney's age and he has had a few injuries the last couple of years, I don't really want to use a draft pick on a kicker though, hopefully Fabrizio Scaccia, who they picked up at the end of last year will show some promise.
Nedney.

You don't want us to be like this guy—lamenting the loss of Nedney.

Reed def, Nedney is hurt and let him retire
Nedney by a mile.

Character goes a long way in my book. Nedney has a lot more of it than Reed does.

Besides, Nedney can kick better than a freaking robot!