LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Does anybody agree with Harbaugh in this article?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anybody agree with Harbaugh in this article?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by WildBill:
I said this before and will beat the dead horse again. Harbaugh is just keeping his options open in an uncertain year due to CBA. He doesn't want to burn bridges. Alex is famliar with the team. Is he what Harbaugh says and does Harbaugh really mean it? Well, its just good poker playing if you ask me, or in football, a good misdirection. why are people so simple minded?

Why does he make no comments about Troy Smith? when he is asked about him he says oh well i dont want to talk about specific players and blah blah but yet he openly talks about Alex Smith?

Harbaugh has said he has studied all potential FA as well as our current players maybe he thinks Alex is the best option for QB.

This is what I'm thinking too..When asked about troy he says "dont want to get into specifics...I'm looking at everyone"...when asked about Alex he goes on and on about how he likes him

I think he should probably keep his cards off the table and just be bland and PC and say he's evaluating all options when asked about either but he clearly likes Alex
I always preface my Alex comments by saying I'm not a fan of his, otherwise I get jumped by the Smith-haters for being nothing more than a "FanBoy." But I always thought Smith would be a much better west coast QB than a "vertical" passing-game QB (which is what he's primarily run since 2006).

IMO, the vertical passing game puts a lot of the onus on the QB to be accurate downfield, and that just hasn't been Alex's strength, at least not on a consistent enough basis. In a traditional west coast offense, he can get the ball out quicker and generally closer to the line of scrimmage, allowing his WRs/TEs/RBs to do the majority of the work.

He could take the occasional shot downfield (he has shown some ability to do this, mostly to Vernon down the seams), but would mostly be spreading the ball around within 5-15 yards of the line of scrimmage not unlike what we see Hasselback doing in Seattle.

In that respect, I think Alex could be fine. Maybe not all-pro material, but good enough until we can develop someone with a little more upside.

Harbaugh's pitch to Alex should be: "Give me 2 years, and I'll turn your career around, making you WAY more marketable than you are now."
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I always preface my Alex comments by saying I'm not a fan of his, otherwise I get jumped by the Smith-haters for being nothing more than a "FanBoy." But I always thought Smith would be a much better west coast QB than a "vertical" passing-game QB (which is what he's primarily run since 2006).

IMO, the vertical passing game puts a lot of the onus on the QB to be accurate downfield, and that just hasn't been Alex's strength, at least not on a consistent enough basis. In a traditional west coast offense, he can get the ball out quicker and generally closer to the line of scrimmage, allowing his WRs/TEs/RBs to do the majority of the work.

He could take the occasional shot downfield (he has shown some ability to do this, mostly to Vernon down the seams), but would mostly be spreading the ball around within 5-15 years of the line of scrimmage not unlike what we see Hasselback doing in Seattle.

In that respect, I think Alex could be fine. Maybe not all-pro material, but good enough until we can develop someone with a little more upside.

Harbaugh's pitch to Alex should be: "Give me 2 years, and I'll turn your career around, making you WAY more marketable than you are now."

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Definitely not. So many throws are too high and we've seen struggles with him hitting a Wr in stride.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/jim-harbaugh-on-alex-smith-im-excited-to-work-with-him/

Harbaugh said that Alex is a "Very accurate passer". Alex is the exact opposite of an accurate passer. I totally disagree with Harbaugh. The missed throw to Moran Norris in the first game of the season at the goal line in Seattle sums up Alex's career.

If 57.1% is considered "very accurate", then yes.

(AND I WANT TO HEAR ZERO ALEXCUSES!)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/jim-harbaugh-on-alex-smith-im-excited-to-work-with-him/

Harbaugh said that Alex is a "Very accurate passer". Alex is the exact opposite of an accurate passer. I totally disagree with Harbaugh. The missed throw to Moran Norris in the first game of the season at the goal line in Seattle sums up Alex's career.

You should have made this a "Yes" or "No" poll though. Remove the 3d option. People will argue that the "Yes" votes are winning because the "No" votes are less, but the reality is some waste their votes on the 3d, irrelevant, option.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He could take the occasional shot downfield (he has shown some ability to do this, mostly to Vernon down the seams), but would mostly be spreading the ball around within 5-15 years of the line of scrimmage not unlike what we see Hasselback doing in Seattle.

+1
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Why do we continue to debate about the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

It's the offseason! lol
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

If 57.1% is considered "very accurate", then yes.

(AND I WANT TO HEAR ZERO ALEXCUSES!)
WOW! it's that high! lol i really thought he be in the low 50! Well now this changes everything!
The missed throw to Moran Norris in the first game of the season at the goal line in Seattle sums up Alex's career.

Another player making a mistake to make Alex look bad?

Originally posted by FLYPxSYDE:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Oh my. Another alex smith thread. Brilliant.

At this rate Alex Smith would make the Webzone HoF with how much he's talked about.

He will never make any hall of fame!
Ghost...you make some good points. Here's what I believe Harbaugh's doing...as noted, he's covering his bases. While it's encouraging the NFLPA and owners will have a mediator, there are absolutely no guarantees there won't be a fairly lengthy lockout. In that event, Alex is the best option Harbaugh has. Pls don't give me Troy Smith or Carr as options...really. The haters can only point to the last six years...and yes, I'd agree Alex has had his share of ups and downs. However, the really meaningful point is other than Norv Turner, he really hasn't had a coach to run an offense that plays to his strengths. Harbaugh sees things in Alex most of us don't...that's why he's the head coach. Playing 15 years in the NFL and coaching at both the college and pro level got him here. He knows a thing or two about QB's...and if he says Alex can be successful running his offense, I believe him. This isn't Erickson, Nolan or Singletary talking...this is Jim Harbaugh. Only time will tell if he'll ask Baalke to offer him a contract, be it one year or two. But, JH is doing what any good head coach would...and that is making sure he has a viable QB to begin the season with. He's not going to throw a rookie out there...nor the other Smith or Carr. If the CBA can be hammered out, all the better, then he and Baalke will have a number of other options. Without an agreement, Harbaugh's absolutely right to explore/exploit what he has.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
yes. he knows more than all the posters here.
More Alex Smith Threads....MORE PLEASE!!!
Originally posted by boast:
yes. he knows more than all the posters here.

//thread
Share 49ersWebzone