LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Which coach was worse?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which coach was worse?

With Sing, we lost games to playoff contenders no more than by 10 points.

If dumbass Nate Clements falls down,we win.

If Nedney made a few more FG's , we win.

If Goldson did his job right,we win.etc

All Singletary needs is to know the ins and outs of the game and he'll be a top ten coach in all of football.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this isnt even a contest. its Sing by far. like it has been mentioned before, he had no business as the head coach of ANY team. Watching the games, it was like our team wasnt coached at all. All those boneheaded mistakes, false starts, missing tackles, its all fundamental football. it was the basic stuff. sure a few mistakes happen every now and then, but it was ALL the time with our team. if pros are forgetting the basics, its on the coach to fix it. he never made any adjustments. call me crazy but its kind of amazing that this team won as many games as it did with that kind of coaching.

Yes it is amazing.
it goes like this erikkson turned mooch team into crap then nolan inherited it then dingletary now its up to harbaugh to clean up all this mess
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

All Singletary needs is to know the ins and outs of the game and he'll be a top ten coach in all of football.

He's too dumb and stubborn to ever learn that. Also, the team was pretty freaking talented last year, way more talented than the Nolan/Erickson years. Even at QB Smith had a QB rating of above 90 once Sing's butt-buddy Raye was fired....the team just wasn't that bad. Add in the fact that Sing started Troy b/c he was in love with his leadership and cost the team the playoffs....the clown did it to himself, too unintelligent.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

He's too dumb and stubborn to ever learn that. Also, the team was pretty freaking talented last year, way more talented than the Nolan/Erickson years. Even at QB Smith had a QB rating of above 90 once Sing's butt-buddy Raye was fired....the team just wasn't that bad. Add in the fact that Sing started Troy b/c he was in love with his leadership and cost the team the playoffs....the clown did it to himself, too unintelligent.

Probably so, but maybe not all that fair to condemn him to that extent. I am just as angry and disappointed that Singletary's wonderful sound bites didn't turn into competent coaching. Hated just about every decision he made and stuck with. But at least he didn't coerce a player with a separated shoulder to go throw a football on Sundays. Singletary clearly took other miserable notes from Nolan as well over the years.

Talk about the balance of the universe there. For being so fortunate in having the Great Bill Walsh, we had to pay the price and suffer the humiliation of Nolan and Sing.
After suffering for years with these guys I have to add my two cents. They are the only coaches I have ever seen who called a timeout during an opening series. Singletary was in over his head, so the blame should go to management. If Turner had stayed Nolan's legacy would have been different. Nolan had GQ looks, but couldn't coach a lick. His appearance will get him another shot. More than anything these hirings are a reflection of Dr. John York, another guy in over his head as far as being an owner is concerned.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I'll have to update this with Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson.

I don't know if he will be a top 10 coach, but he could be a lot better if he ever gets another chance. He would need a good O.C, and to embrace more of the current style, instead of trying to force the old ways into a new world. for the most part his rah-rah (motivational)style worked 60% of the time.

[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Jun 20, 2011 at 09:51:10 ]
I realize its a lockout when at this time of year we are reduced to things like this. Here's my 2 cents anyway, asking this question is like would you rather be hanged or have your throat slit. Both ugly and painful. Instead...run Forrest run...life is like a box of chocolate, you never what you're gonna git till...stupid is as stupid does.
Mike Nolan has a ton more knowledge than Singletary because he worked his way up through the ranks to ascend to a head coaching position. I liked many things about him...he basically functioned as both head coach and GM, 'til they promoted McCloughan. It was too much for him...and really, it's too much for even seasoned head coaches. Just ask Holmgren...he'd tell you being both HC and GM is just too much.

As for Singletary, he was a motivator...but really had little knowledge about coaching in general, let alone head coaching. He was vastly inferior to Nolan in that regard. At best, he's a good LB coach...but, I don't see him going beyond that.

Share 49ersWebzone