There are 166 users in the forums

Which coach was worse?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which coach was worse?

• Lifer
  • Veteran
Nolan was unsuccessful, Singletary was unqualified.
Mike had to build back up one of the worst teams in NFL history. And he knew defense pretty well. We have him to thank for some good free agent moves, such as Justin Smith. In his second year we looked like a team that could compete against really good teams, such as beating the Broncos on their home turf to keep them out of the playoffs. Sadly, things went sour because NURV left so late and we had to hire someone, and that person was Hostler, who sucked more than Paris Hilton, and after a strong start Alex got hurt and Dilfer because QB, who rivals Hostler in his sucktitude. Mike Martz was supposed to be the savior but him and his sidekick JT O'Smellingsalts were not much better than the prior two failures. I think what really did Nolan in was he allowed his insecurities emerge and lost the respect of the team.

By 2009 we finally had a pretty good defense (mostly because of the work Nolan had accomplished) and managed to go 8-8. That's better than Nolan ever did but the utter implosion last year to start the season gives me the impression that it was in spite of Singletary, not because of him. There is no way we should have been as bad as we were last year with the talent we had. Singletary became a motivational speaker for the team, you get really pumped up for awhile, but then things tail off because the message doesn't really light a fire in your ass the way it did at first..

Singletary was worse, I can't remember the last time I've seen a coach so unfit for the job. He showed nothing but confusion in the press conferences following a loss. I think the question should be: who was worse, Singletary or Erikson?

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jun 18, 2011 at 13:24:58 ]
  • Hctr
  • Veteran
Originally posted by highway49:
Erickson....

THIS !!!!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
None of those two are HC material, unfortunately for us the York's thought they were.
Originally posted by highway49:
Erickson....
Dingleberry. shouldnt even be a queston
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Sing.

Vernon was on his way to becoming a bust under Nolan. I'll give Sing some credit.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
The only thing that saved Sing from an 0-16 season was a few lucky breaks to be honest. Other than the a$$ whupping we gave Seattle and Arizona @ the end of the season we had NO convincing wins based on "brilliant" game planning. Oh and the game vs AZ was coached by Tomsula. So there you go...1 game in the + category for Sing.

Nolan's problem wasn't knowledge more than it was his ego and way of thinking. He was given too much power and tried to control way too much. He was also a douchebag which didn't help with his players or his #1 overall pick. Now that said...I still think Norv Turner leaving ultimately set us back a few years. Sure Alex wasn't a world beater....but he showed progress and I'm pretty sure EVERYONE at the end of 06 was saying..."hey..a couple more years under Norv and a few more weapons and this team is going to take off." Well, Norv left, Smith went on IR after starting 2-1 (under the great Hostler) and the rest is history. I noticed too that Nolan tended to stay out of Norv's way. The only issue I had with Norv and Nolan @ that time was the conservative playcalling but then again we still had a young 21-22 year old QB who was still learning.

Anyway...what's done is done.
whats more fun, getting kicked in the nuts or having the dentist hit a nerve during a check up?
Originally posted by global_nomad:

This right here...Sing should have been fired the second he hired Raye.

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I didnt put Erickson in there because he is clearly the worst, i am wondering only about these two

I'd give Erickson the benefit of the doubt because he didn't have any control over the player decision. I never believed that he'd have been better than a mediocre coach, but at times his offense did have some semblance of a competent one.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Singletary.... He had a better team and didnt do anything. He fired Martz for Raye and alienated good players and pick favorites. He didnt know how to deal with players problems on and off the field. Imo Sing was worse then Erickson.

Singletary was worse than Erickson. He got a better team and failed to do anything with it. At least Erickson faced much better divisional opponents (Rams and Seahawks were both in 2003 and 2004 than Singletary did in 2010.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

This right here...Sing should have been fired the second he hired Raye.

He hired raye for 2 reasons..

1. Everyone else turned his stupid idea of run run run down.
2. Raye was the only "Yes" man he could find.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for fastforward.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It is a tough call. Singletary did soooo little with sooo much more than Nolan. Howevver, Singletary should have never been a head coach. He did the best he could, but was incapable of producing because of his lack of knowledge of the X's and O's. It was a learning experience, and I would not be suprised to see him as a HC in 5-7 years, with a much better understanding of staying away from offense.

Nolan inherited a ridiculous roster and turned it around, but never produced a winning season. He got just a little bit better each year, but then failed miserably in the end. He also drafted Alex Smith...

I think it has to go to Nolan, because Sing was practically given the job and put in a position that he had no business being in. Sing also lit a fire under Vernon's behind, but Nolan has not produced a whole lot in any of the drafts.

With a good GM, Nolan may have done much better.
With a good offensive assistant/OC, Sing may have been much better.

Nolan's mistake started with the hiring/promotion of Hostler as OC. Granted that Norv Turner leaving really late made it a desperate situation, but there were over-the-hill guys or hungry young talents who would have been much better than Hostler who had no experience calling offensive plays.

One of Nolan's traits that turned out to be his biggest undoing was his lack of coolness under fire despite his outward demeanor. When the team struggled in 2007, instead of calmly analyzing the situation to come up with the right solution, Nolan lashed out at everyone, reducing his credibility to close to zero by the end of the season. In 2008, his inability to understand that JTO was the wrong guy after so many disastrous games proved that his confidence was shot. His behavior was the equivalent of a panicked guy freezing up at the sight of the oncoming bus.

Singletary was worse for the simple fact that he was unqualified for the job, yet he behaved as if he knew how to run a team. By the end of 2009, I had hoped that he learned enough to learn to adapt to the game, i.e. not to be such a stickler to a unproven philosophy (smash-mouth offense.) But 2010 proved that hope wrong. Game after game, after evidences to the contrary, Singletary still wanted to emphasize the run. The 49ers wore down Gore with no visible sign of success (in the first 6 games, the 49ers only had two games with 100+ yards rushing). Just incredible how stubborn the guy was given how little he understood the offensive side of the game.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It is a tough call. Singletary did soooo little with sooo much more than Nolan. Howevver, Singletary should have never been a head coach. He did the best he could, but was incapable of producing because of his lack of knowledge of the X's and O's. It was a learning experience, and I would not be suprised to see him as a HC in 5-7 years, with a much better understanding of staying away from offense.

Nolan inherited a ridiculous roster and turned it around, but never produced a winning season. He got just a little bit better each year, but then failed miserably in the end. He also drafted Alex Smith...

I think it has to go to Nolan, because Sing was practically given the job and put in a position that he had no business being in. Sing also lit a fire under Vernon's behind, but Nolan has not produced a whole lot in any of the drafts.

With a good GM, Nolan may have done much better.
With a good offensive assistant/OC, Sing may have been much better.

Nolan's mistake started with the hiring/promotion of Hostler as OC. Granted that Norv Turner leaving really late made it a desperate situation, but there were over-the-hill guys or hungry young talents who would have been much better than Hostler who had no experience calling offensive plays.

One of Nolan's traits that turned out to be his biggest undoing was his lack of coolness under fire despite his outward demeanor. When the team struggled in 2007, instead of calmly analyzing the situation to come up with the right solution, Nolan lashed out at everyone, reducing his credibility to close to zero by the end of the season. In 2008, his inability to understand that JTO was the wrong guy after so many disastrous games proved that his confidence was shot. His behavior was the equivalent of a panicked guy freezing up at the sight of the oncoming bus.

Singletary was worse for the simple fact that he was unqualified for the job, yet he behaved as if he knew how to run a team. By the end of 2009, I had hoped that he learned enough to learn to adapt to the game, i.e. not to be such a stickler to a unproven philosophy (smash-mouth offense.) But 2010 proved that hope wrong. Game after game, after evidences to the contrary, Singletary still wanted to emphasize the run. The 49ers wore down Gore with no visible sign of success (in the first 6 games, the 49ers only had two games with 100+ yards rushing). Just incredible how stubborn the guy was given how little he understood the offensive side of the game.

I still dont see how, even if he was 100% unqualified, that he could not see that smash mouth wasn't working. How could anyone be that blind, and miss the obvious?
Share 49ersWebzone