LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 278 users in the forums

pass rushing DE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
with all these talks about needing pass rushing at OLB, we not have one at DE as well, someone like Gaints Umenyiora, ever since his injury and the mess with their front office, the 49ers should think about trying for him. whats you guys thoughts on this
Brilliant!
The niners already have arguably the best pass rushing 3-4 end in Justin Smith. Most 3-4 ends are more one demensional like Sopoaga who specialize in run stopping and any pass rush is a bonus. Smith is very good at not only getting sacks but flushing the QB from the pocket. I would like to see if you guys can come up with any 3-4 ends better than Smith at pass rushing.
justin smith is the best 3-4 de hands down

i wouldnt mind getting dareus to play outside him but as of now OLB is a bigger need

abyways i think osi is too small to play in 3-4
I was thinking of having him either play opposite smith not take his place, or we can move him to play over smith if he is to small
Originally posted by MoRocka:
I was thinking of having him either play opposite smith not take his place, or we can move him to play over smith if he is to small

Pass rush in a 3-4 defense, especially a Dom Capers style 3-4, comes primarily from your linebackers, more specifically your LOLB and your ROLB, not your DE's... That is a 4-3... Osi is in a 4-3 alignment with the Giants.. A player like that would not thrive in a 3-4...

So one more time.. We run a 3-4 defense!! Think pass rush from the linebackers!!!

How many times must we go over that????
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

Pass rush in a 3-4 defense, especially a Dom Capers style 3-4, comes primarily from your linebackers, more specifically your LOLB and your ROLB, not your DE's... That is a 4-3... Osi is in a 4-3 alignment with the Giants.. A player like that would not thrive in a 3-4...

So one more time.. We run a 3-4 defense!! Think pass rush from the linebackers!!!

not neccesarrily....u idiot... if u have weak ass sopoaga chasing the qb...he aint catchen em.... even kyle orton ran rite past sopoaga... sopoaga suxxxx.... idc if he can grab a running bak with one hand and slam em down WHILE hes being blocked lol
Originally posted by ihatealex2005:

not neccesarrily....u idiot... if u have weak ass sopoaga chasing the qb...he aint catchen em.... even kyle orton ran rite past sopoaga... sopoaga suxxxx.... idc if he can grab a running bak with one hand and slam em down WHILE hes being blocked lol

What's with the personal attacks? I've seen you do this more than once..

And speak English, please.
Nothing good can come out of this thread.

Just so you know, I know we run a 3-4 defense but to say that a Dom Capers style 3-4 defense the pressure or sacks primarily come from OLB's I would say is half right. I think the pressure the DE and NT put on the QB are just as important. If you dont agree let's look at Dom Capers D. Cullen Jenkins a DE had 7 sacks this year. B.J. Raji a NT had 6.5 sacks this year so yes Clay Matthew Jr. lead the team with 13.5 but #2 on the team was Jenkins and #3 was Raji so I don't think it's completly ignorant of him to ask about pass rushing DE's. Now he may have brought up a 4-3 DE to ask about but I don't think talking to him like he has no idea what's going on is the right way to go about it either. Especially when what your trying to say isn't 100% correct. The great thing about a Dom Capers D is he brings pressure from everywhere with everyone. If you only ever blitzed the OLB's i'm pretty sure it would be easy to block.

[ Edited by joeymac49s on Feb 12, 2011 at 23:19:04 ]

Originally posted by Sjceruti:

+1

It's going to be a long off-season.
Originally posted by ninerfan97:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

+1

It's going to be a long off-season.

Especially with Free Agency not being there. I mean the worse part of the year is after the draft, then you have those like "non mandatory (but your ass better be here)" practices and they bring the rookies in. After that there's like a month or a month and a half. I DREAD that time of the year... I mean you have the SB beginning of Feb., Combine end of Feb. Free Agency starts beginning of March so you have that you can talk about til the draft at the end of April. Then you can talk about ur draft picks for a good month or so til those practices happen and you get your first look at the picks. After that comes the dreaded wait til Training Camp. With the CBA up beg. March this is gonna get UGLY!!!!! God please help us!!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
3-4 vs 4-3 defense in football

Pass rushing from a 3-4 defensive end is something of a bonus....thats from YOUR link. Have you read it? The point is, and I think most would agree, It doesn't matter if it's a DE or OLB...We NEED pressure on the QB. If there is a guy in at 7 (if we stay there) We take him OLB>DE?? doesnt matter.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
Like chess pieces my little monsters
A pass rush DE is more valuable to pair up with Justin Smith.
Rather than having one New draft pick Von Miller Or Robert Quinn rush linebacker with no on on the other side.
Originally posted by Shifter:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
3-4 vs 4-3 defense in football

Pass rushing from a 3-4 defensive end is something of a bonus....thats from YOUR link. Have you read it? The point is, and I think most would agree, It doesn't matter if it's a DE or OLB...We NEED pressure on the QB. If there is a guy in at 7 (if we stay there) We take him OLB>DE?? doesnt matter.
It does matter!
in the 3-4 the D line is more compact than in the 4-3.
A college 4-3 end does not neccesary make a good 3-4 rush OLB ( See Lawson, Manny).

We tried and failed in that deparment to many times ( Tully Banta-Cain is one example).

Enough with the "half-solutinosn" and " potential players" picked high!
What we need is a Patrick Willis type guy at OLB.

It´s sad that a 3-4 DE ( or better to say Dt as he´s listed as a DT) is our best passrusher.
Share 49ersWebzone