There are 136 users in the forums

Honest Expectations of 2011 Season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's see, the NFC west will still suck next year, Pete Carol will flame out, Sam Bradford will have the sophomore jinx, and the Cards are the cards.

JH likes a powerful running game and features a passing attack focussed on Tight ends, HMMMM I wonder how well our currant personnel fit that mold?

The Niners have the best roster in the NFC west, missing only three things:
1) An accurate QB, this will be addressed Kolbe, or Johnson via trade.
2) A shutdown corner, we have cap room and Awesome-what the f**k is his name-Waa wants money.
3) A legitimate edge pass rusher, Von Miller should be there at 7, we can trade most of our other picks away for a QB

Given these three pieces, or similar moves made by guys paid to make those kind of moves, and no lock out?

We win the west walking away!
We go 10-6 or 11-5
here's were I go off the deep end,

We win the NFC title by slapping around Arron Rogers (3 ints, 2 retuned for tds)

We then pummel The Ravins in the first (of many to come) SUPER BOWL BATTLE OF THE BROTHERS!

It is the offseason dream big or go home!
ill wait for the player acquisitions
too early for the post, but for kicks and giggles ill answer it this way...

starting qb:
alex smith - 8-8
kevin kolb - 8-8
carson palmer - 9-7
rookie (ill assume first rounder) - 5-11
david carr - 4-12
troy smith - 6-10

obviously qb is our biggest hole, but i think anywhere from 1-3 wins could be added with upgrades to our pass rush and secondary (i really hope we go after asoumgha and/or lamar woodley, if we can pay them)

***if there even is a full 16 game season!!
Superbowl or bust!
Originally posted by superman49er:

starting qb:
alex smith - 8-8
kevin kolb - 8-8
carson palmer - 9-7
david carr - 4-12
troy smith - 6-10

obviously qb is our biggest hole, but i think anywhere from 1-3 wins could be added with upgrades to our pass rush and secondary (i really hope we go after asoumgha and/or lamar woodley, if we can pay them)

8-8 with Alex... Have you been watching the last 6 years? lmao
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by excelsior:
When I made my point about players who are mistake prone, a poster called me out about Alex.

Good point. But no QB is mistake free; they throw INTs and fumble the ball away from time to time, even the best ones. Yes, even our esteemed Steve Young. Indeed, in 1993, when he had played more games for the 49ers than Alex has, he threw 16 INTs and fumbled 8 times, losing it 5 times.

According to ESPN stats, Alex has only lost a total of 3 fumbles during the last two years (in 22 games), and while he threw 10 INTs this year during 11 games, he only threw 1 during his last 6 games. It is interesting how people can create a false reality in their mind.

I would agree with you about every QB making mistakes, but this is where we differ. Alex has a tendency to make critical mistakes in crucial moments. And when I say Alex makes a ton of mistakes, I am not JUST speaking of his turnovers.

Missing wide open WRs, not hitting WRs in stride, not seeing open WRs, throwing inaccurately on quick outs and screens....those are all mistakes. Just because they arent interceptions or fumbles doesnt mean they arent mistakes that we cant have.

Perfectly spoken. He missed so many throws esp the short ones that were out of reach tipped see gores 3 or 4 and a few crabtrees.....his only accurate throw in stride in 25 - 30 yards down the middle to vernon.
I guess you guys forgot they will probably go to 18 games. Or not.... Lets see how a few things work out before predictions are made.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:

starting qb:
alex smith - 8-8
kevin kolb - 8-8
carson palmer - 9-7
david carr - 4-12
troy smith - 6-10

8-8 with Alex... Have you been watching the last 6 years? lmao

Have you? We've come close a couple of times while being inhibited by horrible HC's. With Harbaugh at head coach I think that 8-8 with almost any QB is possible.
THIS IS NOT AN ALEX SMITH THREAD!!!!!

Please take all your fanboy Vs. Hater crap elsewhere!

This is about the offseason hopes and dreams of the Forty Niner fans!, sure we should try to be a little realistic, but you gotta dream big in the off season!

There a freaking million and one A. Smith pages, please for the love of Bill Walsh and all that is holy, take the fanboy but love and hater violator crap to the A. Smith thread!

Niners under JH, undefeated Super Bowl Champs!!!!
I expect us to be more creative on offense, last season was one of the most frustrating seasons due to our offense being so predictable and our coaching staff having no grasp on the offense whatsoever.

I'm excited because we are FINALLY going back to our roots and running the WCO again, we have the pieces in place to run a very balanced and dangerous offense, hopefully the days of RUN-RUN-PASS-PUNT are over !!!!!!

But I cant really make a prediction what our record will be until the draft is complete, but I know our team will be more exciting to watch now that we dont have a defensive minded coach trying to make his philosophy work by forcing the issue by pounding the ball and then putting the QB in a bad spot on 3rd down repeatedly

• Antix
  • Veteran
All on the QB and lockout. Offensively if we can get a full offseason I think we'll be pretty good (with a QB). Our personnel is not bad, we just needed somebody who could use it.

Right now I'm saying at least 9..and if we can learn to win close games we may have more.
I think a 7-10 wins is a very realistic expectation, assuming there's no lockout.

It's difficult to say. On offense AND defense, we could improve or regress under new systems.

I'm not super worried about the QB situation if Harbaugh can get a hold of a Josh Johnson, Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, etc. What I'm most interested in is who we draft. That kid is going to have a lot of expectation put on him.
Playoffs. Maybe surprise a team in the first round like seattle beat the saints... and competitive in the divisional round...with a 50/50 chance of a win... and possibly an NFC championship appearance, but not any further than that.

starting qb:
alex smith - 8-8
kevin kolb - 8-8
carson palmer - 9-7
david carr - 4-12
troy smith - 6-10

I get that your saying harbaugh will make smith better but saying that kolb or palmer will be the same neighborhood as smith may be a stretch. I would put alex in the 6-10 range with kolb at 8-8 and palmer at 9-7 or maybe 10-6 range.

Of course I am assuming the niners address the qb of the future and a legitimate pass rusher, cover corner, and NT in the draft....

On second thought never mind, I'm depressed again.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Simply what it says, in your opinion, (although you may wish for playoffs) what do you truly expect to see out of the San Francisco 49ers & JH next season?

I expect to see new offensive schemes that keep defenses on their feet, and our defense to get pressure like we're supposed to. Hopefully we keep our LB combination of Manny, Willis, Ahmad, and Takeo. Might not happen, but although each one had some off games, they each definitely got to the QB or stuffed the run, a great combo for a defense IMO.

I expect Harbaugh to seriously lead us in the right direction and it should be a very positive season, its a new surrounding (the coaching staff) for the players and should be a refreshing feeling for them, and allow them to play football the way they should be playing. West Coast offensively, and Hard Hitting defense.

Like I said, I expect it to be a very positive season, this should be the start of something great.

Go Niners.

it depends on if there will be a lock out, if we have a lock out thats very bad news for the 49ers. They will need as much time in TC as possible. I see a lockout coming and maybe even part of a lost season.

Depends how one looks at it, if we have a lock out and everything freezes for a year, (the only thing I wonder is how the next year's draft would be if we did have a down year), we could have time to find a better qb such as andrew luck, but the bad thing with a lock out is that the players cannot practice within a team setting. If I were Harbaugh, I would at least hand out playbooks that has the base of what he is trying to teach now, before he can't see the players after the march date. It is so weird, though what a lock out means, it's like everything is just frozen and time is just passing. Everyone here might need to find another temporary habbit, just to get us through, lol.

But if next season does come through, I think we might end up with a much better passing game, with a better balanced running game, kind of like a roger craig/wendle tyler type of scheme where we would have a double headed beast in the backfield, with Westbrook playing the tyler role. I think the jerry rice role player might come later, but at least we can have a freddie solomon and dwight clark type of scheme. I think it will be an improved offensive attack, but it will still be a feeling process. I believe that Alex Smith won't be here, I know Harbaugh has not closed the door on Smith, but I do see a lot of mechanical flaws in Smith technique and just bad decisions that is what I believe part of his playing style, which are techniques that should have been (in my opinion) learned on a high school level. Just basic things, like hanging on to the ball if one is sacked, and learning how to check down the WRs (I don't know if it was Sing's schemes) but Smith did try to make a bunch of crazy throws through double even triple coverages, which is fundamentally crazy to me.

I would imagine seeing more of a zone blocking scheme, much more pulling, and improved blocking for the running game with our corp of first rounders on the O-line playing more towards their potential, which should open up the passing game much more for davis and crabtree. There will be (my prediction) a lot more plays setting up the next play type of offense, with a bunch more movement.

On defense, with an improved offense, I think a large part is they should not see the field as much, which should be a huge plus. I mean, a great defense can only carry a team maybe 2.5 quarters if they are having to be on the field constantly. If they are on the field too much because the offense just keeps scoring, that would not be a bad thing, but touching to field too much and the offense does not score, in my opinion is not a good mix. I believe a large part of what was going on is that this group was dependant on to win the games for them, which should not have been the focus in my opinion as the offense needed to score and play a lot more ball control. Hopefully, with the offense staying out on the field much longer, the defense can get a little more agressive and take advantage of a fresher group. But, i don't see all that much change on defense, which can be a top five defense if they are allowed to play less and play against an offense that is out of sink from not touching the field.

Maybe the focus should be on correcting the underlying issues(opinion), instead of trying to get to the playoffs and in doing so make the playoffs. I can only hope for these changes as I make these fantasy predictions as this is the potential that I see in them. I think this can be a great team that has so long and far dropped from their fundamental roots, that it might take a little bit of time to get the hang of it again. I'd say if they play this year, maybe 8-8/9-7 record, an 18 game season could help them, bordeline wild card team, with next year them going to the conference championship and losing in that game, before winning the superbowl the next year. Wishful thinking, lol. The question is, who will be the diamond in the rough?
Share 49ersWebzone