There are 26 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Ty Detmer may be the worst QB in our team's history.
I do not see how one can say that Alex was afraid to throw the ball downfield. There is a time a place to do so, and it is affected by what plays are called and what the defense is doing. But I do not agree whatsoever with the accusation that Alex was afraid to throw the ball downfield.
Hill, pretty accurate with short, methodical drives. Never made alot of mistakes and finished 10-6 as a starter. That's a playoff birth.
Druckenmiller had a peak?
Originally posted by English:

The victory against the rams.
Originally posted by English:

I was thinking the same thing about Dorsey.
i just had to say what someone else did.

All that and Alex is beating them all, that's hilarious.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I do not see how one can say that Alex was afraid to throw the ball downfield. There is a time a place to do so, and it is affected by what plays are called and what the defense is doing. But I do not agree whatsoever with the accusation that Alex was afraid to throw the ball downfield.

How can you possibly say that Alex wasnt afraid to throw downfield? He rarely took shots downfield. You say it was the coaches who held him back and didnt let him air it out. If that was truly the case, then why was Troy allowed to take shots downfield? He took more shots downfield than Alex did in way less games. So Alex wasnt allowed to but Troy was? Come on man. Theres no way thats the case.

Also, in regards to throwing the ball downfield, Alex has NEVER made a throw where the WR wasnt already open. That is a HUUUUUUGE problem for a QB. All good-decent QBs know when their receivers will be getting open, and often times throw the ball before tha happens. Alex hasnt done that once in 6 years.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I am waiting for the Alex Smith fan club to pull some obscure stats like he has a 103 QB rating when the temperature at Candlestick is between 75-77 degrees and the wind is blowing 10-13 mph. Therefore he is better than the whole list, as all of them are rated 90 or lower under those conditions.

[ Edited by BobS on Feb 8, 2011 at 13:41:56 ]
Some of you may not remember how those other guys played, on good to great teams. They had good WRs and lines, and some were behind great QBs who were injured but they still looked really bad.

The 9ers have a history of great QBs, starting with Frankie Albert and YA Tittle. They have not had a great, or even a good, QB since Garcia who was decent. Why bother to hire a coach who understands QBs?

Now that they have one I would expect this to change and for the 9ers to develop QBs again.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Some of you may not remember how those other guys played, on good to great teams. They had good WRs and lines, and some were behind great QBs who were injured but they still looked really bad.

The 9ers have a history of great QBs, starting with Frankie Albert and YA Tittle. They have not had a great, or even a good, QB since Garcia who was decent. Why bother to hire a coach who understands QBs?

Now that they have one I would expect this to change and for the 9ers to develop QBs again.
The influence of a quality coach is too often overlooked by fans.

As I was reading the MM story about Smith and Harbaugh going out on the field and throwing a ball around, I couldn't help but think about what a unique experience that is for Alex Smith. Here he was actually interacting with, and throwing the ball with, a QB who made a living throwing the football - not being a "game manager" like Dilfer - but actually being a passing QB. There is absolutely no substitute for having a coach who has actually performed the task at a high level to teach a young player how to do it. That is a brand-new experience in the life of Alex Smith.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The influence of a quality coach is too often overlooked by fans.

As I was reading the MM story about Smith and Harbaugh going out on the field and throwing a ball around, I couldn't help but think about what a unique experience that is for Alex Smith. Here he was actually interacting with, and throwing the ball with, a QB who made a living throwing the football - not being a "game manager" like Dilfer - but actually being a passing QB. There is absolutely no substitute for having a coach who has actually performed the task at a high level to teach a young player how to do it. That is a brand-new experience in the life of Alex Smith.

Better do some research. I do understand the homers think putting on a 49er uniform or coaching attire makes you instantly better. But Jim Harbaugh was nothing but a mediocre, if that QB. You could argue back and forth if he was better than Dilfer or not. Dilfer had a winning record and a slightly lower career rating, Harbaugh had a LOSING record. Both had one great year and made the Pro Bowl. Hargaugh wouldn't make anyone's top 500all time QB list that knows anything about football. You are judging Dilfer solely at the end of his career as a 49er when he was horrible, and making Harbaugh out to be something he isn't.
I would start Dorsey or Druk to ensure the #1 and Andrew Luck next year.
Originally posted by BobS:
I am waiting for the Alex Smith fan club to pull some obscure stats like he has a 103 QB rating when the temperature at Candlestick is between 75-77 degrees and the wind is blowing 10-13 mph. Therefore he is better than the whole list, as all of them are rated 90 or lower under those conditions.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by BobS:

This will happen