There are 207 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Gamble promoted to 49ers' personnel director

The York's continue with their tradition of promoting from within.

In a move anticipated for nearly a month, the 49ers on Friday announced Tom Gamble's promotion to director of player personnel.

"We are very fortunate to have a guy with the wide range of experience that Tom possesses," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/04/11/Gamble-promoted-to-49ers-personnel-direc/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=404280&feedID=5936

It seems more like a Baalke move to me.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It seems more like a Baalke move to me.

-9fA

Yeah, seems like a hell of a Gamble.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Makes no sense to promote from within when you have a tradition of sucking, but it saves money!
After the departure of general manager Scot McCloughan last March, Gamble took on additional responsibilities in college scouting before the draft.

Gamble has worked in the 23 seasons, helping build nine playoff teams with the Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles. His father, Harry, served as Eagles general manager and president.

--------------------------

the two paragraphs above show that this is not the typical promotion the York haters would have you think it is. this is a very experienced football guy that already has a good working relationship with Baalke. this means he knows the blueprint the Niners want to build upon.
Originally posted by boast:
After the departure of general manager Scot McCloughan last March, Gamble took on additional responsibilities in college scouting before the draft.

Gamble has worked in the 23 seasons, helping build nine playoff teams with the Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles. His father, Harry, served as Eagles general manager and president.

the two paragraphs above show that this is not the typical promotion the York haters would have you think it is. this is a very experienced football guy that already has a good working relationship with Baalke. this means he knows the blueprint the Niners want to build upon.

This is the whole problem, because the blueprint has been all wrong. New people and fresh ideas is what this front office needs. But nope, just continue to promote yes men at cheaper rates who wont question the status quo.
Originally posted by susweel:

This is the whole problem, because the blueprint has been all wrong. New people and fresh ideas is what this front office needs. But nope, just continue to promote yes men at cheaper rates who wont question the status quo.

Baalke/Harbaugh have a different blueprint than Nolan/Sing.

[ Edited by boast on Feb 4, 2011 at 13:37:37 ]
what good has he done??
Originally posted by felix0831:
what good has he done??

what bad has he done? specifically?

Baalke/Harbaugh have a different blueprint than Nolan/Sing.

I hope so.
I never even heard of this guy......man.

I beg to differ, guilt by association or blaming the sins of the father on the son syndrone is silly. I prefer to judge each person on their own merits. Gamble has extensive experience with good teams. Did you read the article, he worked under polian and reid. In fact I thought last year that he and not Baalke would have gotten the job.

Have you not worked for a person, had your own ideas and did your best under your boss even though he/she weren't the sharpest knife in the drawer? Your ideas proved more on the money than his? Should you be blamed for his final decesions. I read somewhere for example that at the time of drafting Alex Smith, he (Ballke) wasn't high on him as the number one pick.

Baalke has been on the job one year as the person in charge, he hasn't done anything to merit me wanting his head served on a platter. I will not associated him as a Sotty Mc clone. BTW some fresh ideas go stale right away and may not be fresh in the first place.
His assistant has also been named. Proctor, who will oversee all the drug tests.
man, i wanna say that this is actually a good hire. here is a guy who already knows the talent on the team, who knows the NEW blueprint being put in place by baalke. he can better assess what we have and what we will need to get to the next level. this is NOT a typical "hire within" hire. it makes sense. his credentials should speak for themselves as well.