There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vote for your Favorite 49er Beat Writer

Vote for your Favorite 49er Beat Writer

My vote goes to Eric Branch.. Best combination of style, analysis, football knowledge and unbiased reporting.
I like Barrows. I like his insight and humor. I've always enjoyed reading his articles. But, at the same time Maiocco seems to always be the first to report major news. Idk... I think I'll stick with Barrows for the everyday reading, and Maiocco can just tell me when things happen.
I like Branch he was hilarious during the Harbaugh thing.
If I have to pick. I go with David White. He doesn't play favorites. Barrows and Maiocco seem to take the 49ers spin to much and don't really voice displeasure with thier moves. I like those that are objective..

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 31, 2011 at 14:19:10 ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
My vote goes to Eric Branch.. Best combination of style, analysis, football knowledge and unbiased reporting.

I've always thought we were lucky to have both the Matts since they give alot of information on a very consistent basis. But what I really like about Branch is that he expresses some opinion (more than your usual beat writer) with, as you say above, some really solid insights. I like all the beat writers (columnists is a different story) but Branch has become my favorite as he brings just a little something extra.
I like Maiocco primarily because he's always one of the first to break a story and because he's pretty fair/neutral. Although, he can be a little bland sometimes.

Barrows has style and is accurate but he always appears to be 1 or 2 stoires behind Maiocco.

And to me personally Timwhocares comes off opinionated. I'm sure a certain audience likes his style but it's not for me.

[ Edited by mustangmele on Jan 31, 2011 at 14:19:51 ]
MB ftw.

TK is not a beat writer.
Maiocco baby!
Matt M. if I want the first news

Matt B. if I want a slower version of Matt M. or have downtime to read more articles.

Tim K. if I want to read about someone b***hing about the Niners from the news Matt M. broke.
Originally posted by fakers23:
If I have to pick. I go with David White. He doesn't play favorites. Barrows and Maiocco seem to take the 49ers spin to much and don't really voice displeasure with thier moves. I like those that are objective..

David White writes for SFGate, under the "Silver and Black" banner...

Eric Branch FTW. I like his angles. He seems to have the pulse of his readership dialed in very well. His sense of humor hits me just right. I thought his recent interview with Baalke was superior to the other's interviews.

FTR my favorite used to be MM. I still enjoy his reporting and I do believe he works very hard to get it right. And IMHO, MB has always been to MM what Diet Coke is to Coke. To me, he's just aight.

TK is an agitative douchebag, not a beat writer. His kneejerk reporting(?) causes him to look ridiculous and his refusal to ever admit he's wrong makes him an even sadder sac.
Kawacommie is a communi . . . .columnist. Dan Brown is the SJ Merc beat writer.

I don't dislike any of them really. They all add something different. I'm impressed with Branch as the newcomer. He really gets down into the nitty-gritty details.
Originally posted by kidash:

But he also does some Niners stuff, he kinda shares the Niner beat gig with Keving Lynch (see for example this Niner Insider article, the byline is from White).
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by kidash:

But he also does some Niners stuff, he kinda shares the Niner beat gig with Keving Lynch (see for example this Niner Insider article, the byline is from White).

I stand corrected.

Lowell Cohn...