There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh - "I believe that Alex Smith can be a winning QB"

Originally posted by fakers23:
They can listen to his opinion,but doesn't mean Baalke has to follow through with it.. Baalke has a mind of his own and he's the one in control. If say no Alex... It's no Alex... If he says yes Alex... Then well,I will hate his choose,but I still go on rooting for the front of jersey... Aka the 49ers,but I will not root for Alex..

I really don't think Harbaugh would have taken the job if it was understood that Balke and not Harbaugh got to choose the QB. I could be wrong but I just don't think that is going to be the way it is.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-wants.html

Quote:
Napear asked what Harbaugh liked about Smith. "Very accurate passer, very athletic - a guy that has played and been durable," Harbaugh said. As was the case last week when he met with reporters, Harbaugh stressed that every 49ers player had a clean slate moving forward.

But while Harbaugh may give Smith a clean slate, the 49ers fan base will not. That was evident during the season finale at Candlestick Park when a Smith incompletion triggered an avalanche of boos from the crowd. His passer rating at the time was 158.3 - perfect - and he would go on to lead his team to a 38-7 win over Arizona. It's gotten to the point that even when Smith wins, he loses.

Smith said on more than one occasion this past season that he is conscious of the booing, of the exasperation of him from the fan base. Is it fair? It doesn't really matter. It exists, and Smith will have to decide whether he can ever prosper in that atmosphere.

Harbaugh may be able to convince Baalke, who has the final say on the 49ers roster, to give Smith another shot. But the decision ultimately lies with Smith, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on March 4.

The terrible reality is that the current 49ers situation - an offensive-minded head coach who molds quarterbacks coupled with a strong supporting cast on offense - is precisely what Smith needed six years ago when he was coming out of Utah. Joining Harbaugh would be ideal for a tough 26-year-old quarterback who, as Harbaugh said, is accurate and athletic.

But as much as Harbaugh talks about fresh starts, it's not realistic for Smith. My guess is that other teams will see the same promise in him that Harbaugh sees and that he'll have a number of suitors. No team is going to guarantee him a starting job, but the 49ers won't either. My guess is that Smith walks.

-- Matt Barrows

I agree with Barrows . . . even though ironically 2011 would offer Alex Smith the best situation of his entire tenure in SF when it comes to supporting talent and coaching, the last six years have poisoned the well when it comes to getting the majority of the fan base behind the idea.

Barrows said it best... The fans don't want him back... No amount of Harbaugh praise going to make the fans cheer him again.. Especially when they have seen this out come twice before. For the fans sake and Alex move on!

Who gives a f**k about the fans? If Harbaugh thinks he can get him to play well then he should keep him and the fans should stfu and take the sticks out of their asses. Until Harbaugh starts losing games and looks like a bad coach, you go with what he says. Period. This guy is not Mike Singletary or Mike Nolan. He knows x's and o's and QB play and he knows what the f**k he is doing. Our fans can act like a bunch of retards and that doesn't mean we'll win. I don't think Alex is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything but IMO Harbaugh should get what he wants period.

The 49er front office sure does... They don't want rolling black out and empty seats each year! You going to pay the 49ers bills?

funny you mentioned! i live in california, i go to games, i buy jerseys....do you?
Many have expressed the opinion that Alex will not come back because of the poisonous environment with the fans. I think this point is overstated.

QBs are expected to be tough enough to go into hostile stadiums and not be daunted by the opponents' hostile fans. If you can't handle that, then you do not belong in the game. Why then do we say Alex couldn't handle hostile fans in his own stadium? That is irrational thinking.

I have always felt that Alex was tough, and last year he became even tougher. He might consider it a personal challenge to come back and take pleasure in making the local fans eat crow. The guy has to have a major chip on his shoulder - which may be a good thing.

I can understand Alex and his agent remaining very non-committal at the moment. They may want to see what other offers come in once he reaches FA status after 3/5/11. In this way he can consider all options. I am sure he would look favorably at working with H. And if H. wanted him, I suspect Alex would strongly consider it.

Right at the end of the season, I gave the chance of Alex coming back at 1%. When Harbaugh was hired, I increased it to 25%. When I read that H. and Alex had talked, I increased it to 50%. With this most recent article, I increased the chances to 60%. There is still more of this saga to play out.
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-wants.html

Quote:
Napear asked what Harbaugh liked about Smith. "Very accurate passer, very athletic - a guy that has played and been durable," Harbaugh said. As was the case last week when he met with reporters, Harbaugh stressed that every 49ers player had a clean slate moving forward.

But while Harbaugh may give Smith a clean slate, the 49ers fan base will not. That was evident during the season finale at Candlestick Park when a Smith incompletion triggered an avalanche of boos from the crowd. His passer rating at the time was 158.3 - perfect - and he would go on to lead his team to a 38-7 win over Arizona. It's gotten to the point that even when Smith wins, he loses.

Smith said on more than one occasion this past season that he is conscious of the booing, of the exasperation of him from the fan base. Is it fair? It doesn't really matter. It exists, and Smith will have to decide whether he can ever prosper in that atmosphere.

Harbaugh may be able to convince Baalke, who has the final say on the 49ers roster, to give Smith another shot. But the decision ultimately lies with Smith, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on March 4.

The terrible reality is that the current 49ers situation - an offensive-minded head coach who molds quarterbacks coupled with a strong supporting cast on offense - is precisely what Smith needed six years ago when he was coming out of Utah. Joining Harbaugh would be ideal for a tough 26-year-old quarterback who, as Harbaugh said, is accurate and athletic.

But as much as Harbaugh talks about fresh starts, it's not realistic for Smith. My guess is that other teams will see the same promise in him that Harbaugh sees and that he'll have a number of suitors. No team is going to guarantee him a starting job, but the 49ers won't either. My guess is that Smith walks.

-- Matt Barrows

I agree with Barrows . . . even though ironically 2011 would offer Alex Smith the best situation of his entire tenure in SF when it comes to supporting talent and coaching, the last six years have poisoned the well when it comes to getting the majority of the fan base behind the idea.

Barrows said it best... The fans don't want him back... No amount of Harbaugh praise going to make the fans cheer him again.. Especially when they have seen this out come twice before. For the fans sake and Alex move on!

Who gives a f**k about the fans? If Harbaugh thinks he can get him to play well then he should keep him and the fans should stfu and take the sticks out of their asses. Until Harbaugh starts losing games and looks like a bad coach, you go with what he says. Period. This guy is not Mike Singletary or Mike Nolan. He knows x's and o's and QB play and he knows what the f**k he is doing. Our fans can act like a bunch of retards and that doesn't mean we'll win. I don't think Alex is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything but IMO Harbaugh should get what he wants period.

The 49er front office sure does... They don't want rolling black out and empty seats each year! You going to pay the 49ers bills?

funny you mentioned! i live in california, i go to games, i buy jerseys....do you?

Yes I live in Cali and yes I buy thier jerseys. If I lived in NOCal I would be going to tons of games,but I live in SoCal... Also,your are just 1 fan out of 60,000 thousand that goes to game.. Most of them don't support an Alex return..

P.S. I don't have pimp out my love for the 49ers to anyone.. Not all fans can afford to go to games.. Also you don't have to be an Alex fan to love the 49ers period!

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 29, 2011 at 20:04:05 ]
I guarantee you he does good somewhere else. I mean dang look what shaun hill did in detroit. We did not have a good coaching staff and had terrible game plans. It wasnt the players we got out coached every game. Harbaugh should keep alex and start him!!! yeah I SAID IT1111