Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.
2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.
3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.
4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .
5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.
6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.
Point #3 is what a lot of people seem to overlook when talking about Alex. Aside from his 2006 season, he has missed games EVERY YEAR due to injury. He is a tough guy, meaning he gives it his all when he has a chance to play hurt but just because he is tough does not take away from the fact that he is injury prone.
But you can't be statistically average AND be injury prone. AT LEAST be good when you ARE healthy