LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Lack of diversity on new coaching staff - a concern?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lack of diversity on new coaching staff - a concern?

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Having a diverse staff got us nowhere last season.

-9fA
I'm suck of all that diversity and equal opportunity b.s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against it, but it's just been so abused, especially in California that it's just tired...

Best man for the job, I don't care what he or she looks like...

Diversity on this coaching staff? I don't give a flying f@#k as long as we are back to winning Super Bowls!!!
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by TrailerParkMan:
I have noticed, and wondered what others think . . . .

Sing had as much diversity as any coach in the history of the NFL. Which in some ways is good. But we didn't win. I don't care how diverse we are. We could have all Asian coaches for all I care just win the games that matter.
Uhm, not really. As far as I can see, it is just coincidence. Harbaugh hired coaches he felt comfortable with and has a common history and retained only a few assistant coaches and those all happen to be less diverse than the old staff.

But for example if you look at the coaches let go, there seems to be no sort of diversity concern, as coaches of all ethnicities were let go. Now since Singletary had a big number of coaches with diverse backgrounds on his staff, it might look a little odd now, but I think there is no reason to concern.

Now, what could be a more interesting (but much more complicated discussion) could be whether it is coincidental that there seems to be less diversity in the coaches Harbaugh met and worked with while being a college coach.

I think that could be a much more valid point, as there is no Rooney Rule (as flawed as it might be) and also no Minority Coaching Fellowship Program in the college ranks. Because of that, I remember reading an article that did an empirical analysis founding diversity in the college coaching ranks sorely lacking.

I am not sure how recent that data is, but I think it could make for an interesting discussion and could also explain a bit why the current Niners staff lacks a bit of diversity: Most of the coaches have worked with Harbaugh before, Harbaugh was a college coach for quite some time and thus worked a lot with college coaches and the college coaching ranks lack diversity, meaning Harbaugh simply did not have much opportunities to meet and work with college coaches of diverse backgrounds, meaning he cannot bring them with him to his Niners staff.

Also, one of the more prominent minority coaches Harbaugh worked with and would have surely loved to bring to the Niners was David Shaw, but he got promoted to head coach at Stanford.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we need a mexican on the staff. Puerto Rican will suffice.

Im both so I will put my resume' in for any available position
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Woodwo you disappoint me. I am the poster responsible for probably 25% of all "Booby" posts in the Lot!

Check the position of the word "seriously" in the post and consult your old English school teacher!

Gah! "Woodwo"? "Woodwo Wiwson"? I am insulted!

You can be a misogynist and still like breasts, can't you? I thought that was the whole point! s**t! I've been doing it wrong....

If I really cared about school or education, would I be posting on a football forum?

I love all of you! Every last packet that doesn't get corrupted or bounce off my firewall and makes it's way into my hard drive... and believe me... it's a hard drive.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
WTF?? Who Fukin Cares!!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I noticed it to but I doubt it will be a factor. Harbaugh had a black OC and 3 black position coaches at Stanford. He had a black QB at San Diego. He is going to hire the best coaches.

Mike Singletary has token black guys Vantz Singletary and Al Harris and really all-around, not very good coaches. I am sure the players noticed and want good coaches to coach them.

Wait... we're talking about ethnicity?

s**t... I thought we were looking for diversity...

Why limit yourself?

Here is our new special teams coach:

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by valrod33:
isnt the new strength coach asian?

no, he's just fat. so his cheeks push up against his eyes.

Way to go there syber I knew you were good for something.

The point of diversity is being able to connect to different cultures. On that note I actually believe it would be nice to have some black personnel department people. Someone who relates to the players. I just saw a special on Tamba Bay Coach Raheem Morris and they identified him as someone who got his players because he had some street cred. Point is there are alot of urban Black kids who grow up and play football, to bad we couldn't have kept Sing as a spiritual mentor....

Explain, from my lily white lack of knowledge, "Street cred" is acquired from criminal behavior. Michael Vick has street cred, so if you need ex criminals on the staff to relate to players, that is pretty pathetic.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
GOOD Coaches.

Stop being reasonable. There is no room for your kind here.

Wake me up when they start wearing bed sheets over their heads and burning crosses. Until then...
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Woodwo you disappoint me. I am the poster responsible for probably 25% of all "Booby" posts in the Lot!

Check the position of the word "seriously" in the post and consult your old English school teacher!

Gah! "Woodwo"? "Woodwo Wiwson"? I am insulted!

You can be a misogynist and still like breasts, can't you? I thought that was the whole point! s**t! I've been doing it wrong....

If I really cared about school or education, would I be posting on a football forum?

I love all of you! Every last packet that doesn't get corrupted or bounce off my firewall and makes it's way into my hard drive... and believe me... it's a hard drive.

Actually that was a typo. But when you first arrived I thought it was a reference to Wodwick (Monty Python).

Who will welease Wodwick the Wapist?
Originally posted by TrailerParkMan:
I have noticed, and wondered what others think . . . .

Is this Rob Parker?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Actually that was a typo. But when you first arrived I thought it was a reference to Wodwick (Monty Python).

Who will welease Wodwick the Wapist?

I don't know if I should feel honored or offended....

Sorry... I'm just a hairy naked guy.

Share 49ersWebzone