LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Ed Donatell Hired as Secondary Coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

I am really surprised nobody questioned your source. I thought he had already been hired and the Matts are reporting he is barely meeting Harbaugh today:

Quote:
Secondary
Ed Donatell*
Comment: The San Francisco Chronicle first reported interest in Donatell, a former defensive coordinator for the Falcons and Packers, and CSN Bay Area reports he is meeting with Harbaugh today.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-staff.html#ixzz1BQZpNHqv

Noob!

He copied and pasted verbatim from David White of the Chron:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81036#readmore

The OP just didn't cite his source.
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

I am really surprised nobody questioned your source. I thought he had already been hired and the Matts are reporting he is barely meeting Harbaugh today:

Quote:
Secondary
Ed Donatell*
Comment: The San Francisco Chronicle first reported interest in Donatell, a former defensive coordinator for the Falcons and Packers, and CSN Bay Area reports he is meeting with Harbaugh today.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-staff.html#ixzz1BQZpNHqv

Noob!

He copied and pasted verbatim from David White of the Chron:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81036#readmore

The OP just didn't cite his source.

Then David White = (I dont like the guy very much anyways)
  • pfizz
But I thought everyone hated working with harbaugh?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
hah! at the "develop taylor mays into starting material".

Donatell took one look at him and "GTFO!"
Originally posted by pfizz:
But I thought everyone hated working with harbaugh?

Harbaugh made him sign an extension at gun point. Because as you know, according to unnamed sources, he is some sort of a monster that everyone despises.
So Donatell, a key member of the coaching staff is extended as well as Anquan Boldin, a key member of the team. Sounds like the Titanic to me.
Now convince them to kick Rodgers out of the building we need his money to sign Kap.

Also Congrats on the extension.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Mar 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM ]
Awesome... Donatell, Leavitt and Tomsula should be around as long as they want to be.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Awesome... Donatell, Leavitt and Tomsula should be around as long as they want to be.

I don't know how much Tomsula is being paid but it isn't enough, they should at least double it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I don't know how much Tomsula is being paid but it isn't enough, they should at least double it.

Love these quotes by Harbaugh from the SI article:

"I have never been a guy that wants to get extensions," he says. "If the guy at the top is getting extensions every year or two, it sends everybody else to the water cooler. The reason is, in any kind of budget, you have so much money for coaches. At some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches. When I started out, I was making $5 million. You run back for an extension, it shrinks the pool."

When is the right time to talk about an extension?

"I don't know," Harbaugh says. "What I do know is this: I make plenty of money. And I don't do five times as much work as any other coach on the staff. I get paid extremely well. Jed York has always been square dealing with me. I don't think about that as an issue ... I've seen it written like fact: 'Harbaugh wants to be the highest paid coach in football', or 'desperately covets a new contract'. For the record: I make plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money.'"

In our conversation, Harbaugh did lobby for more money -- but not for himself. He said defensive coordinator Vic Fangio deserves a raise as part of an extension.

"He has not had a raise since he's been here. Focus on that."

Harbaugh also pointed out that he has two years left on his contract, and as he said, he sees "zero" chance of leaving before it's up. That means he and the 49ers have two years to negotiate an extension. Whatever you say about this situation, you can't say it is urgent.

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now and saying I'm not trying to get more money for myself. But I make plenty of money. I have plenty of security. If we have the highest-paid assistant coaches in football, the best coaches in football, I strive for that. Guilty as charged there."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140303/jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers-contract-trent-baalke-jed-york/#ixzz2uyLFTpwz

So much for him demanding to be the highest paid coach in football. The guy acknowledges there is a budget for coaches, and he wants to make sure he has the highest paid assistants in football before he worries about himself. That's awesome. That's how you attract quality coaches to work for you, and stay with you.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Love these quotes by Harbaugh from the SI article:
So much for him demanding to be the highest paid coach in football. The guy acknowledges there is a budget for coaches, and he wants to make sure he has the highest paid assistants in football before he worries about himself. That's awesome. That's how you attract quality coaches to work for you, and stay with you.

Harbaugh always praises his assistants before himself and he looks out for them. He's always talking about how they should be given head coaching jobs. Yeah but an article like this wont be talked about by PFT or the other writers that jumped on like sharks. Writers and fans including our own just need something to talk about since it was a down time between the combine and free agency. The media loves to create stories from non stories in the down times of the season. To think all this started from the Browns calling and saying we are interested in trading for Harbaugh and probably offering a 2nd and a 3rd or later. We immediately said no and they weren't even close to the price we wanted but that got turned into Harbaugh almost traded. That would be like us calling about Calvin Johnson and offering a 7th and them laughing at us and having the media say the deal was almost done.

Edit: Sorry I thought I was in the Harbaugh thread so that was off topic but yeah I don't see Donatell and Leavitt leaving until they retire. Tomsula only way he leaves is if he gets a head coaching job. Fangio should be here for the long haul as well and Roman until he gets a HC job. I don't see Harbaugh firing him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
According to an NFL source, secondary coach Ed Donatell has agreed to a two-year deal. His contract expired after the 2013 season. There was some thought in NFL circles that Donatell would leave for a defensive coordinator job.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/5507/49ers-ink-key-assistant

Glad to hear it ... he's made gold out of lead the past few seasons.

Nice !
I'm glad Ed D is sticking around , he is the George seifert of this era
Bump

I think this guy deserves a lot of credit. He's been able to take some late round/UDFA and turn them into solid corners/safeties, on top of being able to deal with injuries and keep the secondary consistent

Perrish Cox (5th Round - 2010)
Tramaine Brock (UDFA 2010)
Chris Culliver (3rd round 2011)
Eric Reid (1st Round 2013 - pro bowl)

not to mention

increasing rogers and browns production when they were here
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Bump

I think this guy deserves a lot of credit. He's been able to take some late round/UDFA and turn them into solid corners/safeties, on top of being able to deal with injuries and keep the secondary consistent

Perrish Cox (5th Round - 2010)
Tramaine Brock (UDFA 2010)
Chris Culliver (3rd round 2011)
Eric Reid (1st Round 2013 - pro bowl)

not to mention

increasing rogers and browns production when they were here

Yup. I said it in another thread, on the defensive side of the ball, we have the best position coaches in the game. Now if the offensive side of the ball were on par. Specifically O-line, WR, and QB coach.
Share 49ersWebzone