There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ed Donatell Hired as Secondary Coach

Originally posted by Rizo:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Maybe he will convince the niners to get Champ Bailey

First thing I thought!

I don't want champ bailey---or i do if he is still any good--I have no idea---isn't he in his 30's now??
Our Secondary play can't get any worse, so by default, Ed Donatell is an upgrade
I just have actual faith now in what is going on. There is the chance that a York starts to feel smart and begins to "help" and messes everything up, but that likely won't happen for awhile.

Right now there are adults in charge, and it sure is a lot better than listening to a fool yapping about stuff that clearly wasn't going to work and having an owner infatuated with that fantasy.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

Did you write this or plagiarize it? Because, unless I'm missing something, whoever wrote it has some facts seriously wrong. I'm not saying Donatell won't do a good job, but I don't know where the statistics come from.

Denver was the NFL's 3rd ranked pass defense? Not even close, and anyone who watched any Broncos games this year should've immediately done a double take on that stat. Try 25th ranked pass D (just behind our Niners).

And the Niners were the 24th ranked defense? Try 13th. Not great, but a whole lot better than 24th. (maybe 24th ranked pass D is what was meant, but if so, that is what should be said).

I'm all for looking at the positives of the Donatell hiring, but there's no need to make things up.

OP copied word for word David White's Chronicle blog:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81036#readmore
Originally posted by danielxcdt:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

Did you write this or plagiarize it? Because, unless I'm missing something, whoever wrote it has some facts seriously wrong. I'm not saying Donatell won't do a good job, but I don't know where the statistics come from.

Denver was the NFL's 3rd ranked pass defense? Not even close, and anyone who watched any Broncos games this year should've immediately done a double take on that stat. Try 25th ranked pass D (just behind our Niners).

And the Niners were the 24th ranked defense? Try 13th. Not great, but a whole lot better than 24th. (maybe 24th ranked pass D is what was meant, but if so, that is what should be said).

I'm all for looking at the positives of the Donatell hiring, but there's no need to make things up.

He was referring to the 24th ranked pass defense.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:

He was referring to the 24th ranked pass defense.

I get that error and wouldn't have posted were that the only mistake. I figured they probably omitted the "pass defense" part of it to try to make a stronger argument.

The more glaring falsity is calling the 25th ranked pass D the number 3 ranked pass D. That's calling one of the worst one of the best.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

David White's comment here is seriously confusing. What he's referring to is not "last season," but rather 2009.

According to denverbroncos.com, Donatell was named defensive backs coach on 1/20/09. In 2009 the Broncos had the 6th ranked pass defense in the league, as determined by footballoutsiders.com. This was, indeed, a huge improvement over 2008, when Denver's pass defense was ranked 31st (by footballoutsiders).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2009

In 2009 the Broncos were ranked 3rd in the league, in terms of passing yards per game, according to nfl.com. Again, this was a huge improvement over 2008, when they were ranked 26th. And this is likely the stat that David White is referencing.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go
Originally posted by Lifer:

David White's comment here is seriously confusing. What he's referring to is not "last season," but rather 2009.

According to denverbroncos.com, Donatell was named defensive backs coach on 1/20/09. In 2009 the Broncos had the 6th ranked pass defense in the league, as determined by footballoutsiders.com. This was, indeed, a huge improvement over 2008, when Denver's pass defense was ranked 31st (by footballoutsiders).

In 2009 the Broncos were ranked 3rd in the league, in terms of passing yards per game, according to nfl.com. Again, this was a huge improvement over 2008, when they were ranked 26th. And this is likely the stat that David White is referencing.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

You got it. This threw me too. Couldn't figure out why folks were so upbeat about this guy but he was like 23rd this year because of injuries. Hopefully are backfield can remain healthy.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

You got it. This threw me too. Couldn't figure out why folks were so upbeat about this guy but he was like 23rd this year because of injuries. Hopefully are backfield can remain healthy.

I like the Donatell hire. He strikes me as a very capable, experienced, and battle tested coach. But to credit him with the Broncos defensive turn-around is absurd. He was only a position coach, and the pass defense numbers are dependant upon the success of the defense overall. The Broncos' defense got way better in 2009 when Mike Nolan and Ed Donatell came aboard. But the numbers plummeted in 2010 when Nolan left and Donatell was still there (pass D ranked 31st in the league by footballoutsiders). If you're going to credit Donatell with the success in 2009, then you have to blame him for the collapse in 2010.

The credit for the Broncos D in 2009 belongs mainly to Nolan. Donatell was a part of that, but there's only so much a position coach can do. Again, great hire, but David White is just cherry picking statistics.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Why is the Chronicle the only one reporting this hire?
Originally posted by GORO:
Why is the Chronicle the only one reporting this hire?

hasn't signed anything yet, so not official yet
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

I like the Donatell hire. He strikes me as a very capable, experienced, and battle tested coach. But to credit him with the Broncos defensive turn-around is absurd. He was only a position coach, and the pass defense numbers are dependant upon the success of the defense overall. The Broncos' defense got way better in 2009 when Mike Nolan and Ed Donatell came aboard. But the numbers plummeted in 2010 when Nolan left and Donatell was still there (pass D ranked 31st in the league by footballoutsiders). If you're going to credit Donatell with the success in 2009, then you have to blame him for the collapse in 2010.

The credit for the Broncos D in 2009 belongs mainly to Nolan. Donatell was a part of that, but there's only so much a position coach can do. Again, great hire, but David White is just cherry picking statistics.

Why not blame Don Martindale? He's the one who took over as Broncos' DC after Mike Nolan left for Miami. You could also blame HC Josh McDaniels for Mike Nolan leaving. The fact is, Ed Donetell is still a very good DB's coach, and was a good DC. We will now have a backup plan if Vic Fangio doesn't work out as our DC. Jim Harbaugh could always promote Ed Donatell. The 49ers now have depth on the coaching staff, and Harbaugh isn't done yet!
[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM ]
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by Rizo:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Maybe he will convince the niners to get Champ Bailey

First thing I thought!

I don't want champ bailey---or i do if he is still any good--I have no idea---isn't he in his 30's now??

Because being in your 30's makes you suck in the NFL? wow! Champ Baily would be awesome on this Team.
That's the great thing about these hires all these guys have been around for a long time if they were going to b coaches they would have had a chance a long time ago