There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2003-2010 Niners: Receivers Graveyard

Since Terrell Owens, Jeff Garcia and Steve Mariucci left the Niners, we haven't had a single receiver go over 1,000 yards. In 2007, Arnaz Battle led the Niners with 600 receiving yards. He led the entire team with 600 yards... pathetic.

I think there's been far too much emphasis on Vernon Davis and Frank Gore for the past several seasons. We have Crabtree and Ted Ginn, who can also be weapons if used correctly. Between Nolan and Singletary, they exhibited virtually no knowledge of offense beyond game management for the defense. I can't believe Singletary didn't cede control of the offense entirely. It's too bad he didn't keep Martz around for a second season. Imagine if Martz had been able to play with Crabtree, Ted Ginn, Westbrook, Delanie and Vernon, the crazy plays he could've designed.

Harbaugh will make wide receivers an important position again. With the return of the West Coast Offense, we will see slants and cleverly designed screen passes. It's too bad that Westbrook will probably leave. He would've been a perfect pass catching back on 1st and 3rd downs. I think that Crabtree will get his Texas Tech Step back. All he needs is a short feed with open field. A good QB can deliver the ball on the money. Alex lacked the ability to put a nice touch on short passes. You can also blame Crabtree for his poor route running.

Who do you think will be the 2011 starting receivers for the Niners?
Crabtree will be a starter. Other than that, I have no idea.

You could drop all our WRs other than Crabtree, and we wouldn't be losing much. Though I'd like to keep Ginn for his return abilities.
Obviously Crabtree will be a starter and as of right now so will Josh Morgan. I'm not sure who will be available in free agency and if the coaches and front office have identified WR as a need. I will say this though the west coast offense is about shorter routes and yac and I feel like our WR's TE's and RB's are best suited for that type of approach so I'm excited to see what happens !!
what about the great Rashaun Woods?
You could say the receivers sucked.....or we have had crappy QBs throwing to them. I'll say the latter.
Jimmy boy will maximize the potential of every receiver/te on the roster. VD and Delanie are gonna love this offense. Crabs is a given, I also like Ginn as a returner but I think eventually we'll all see him develop into the speedy deep threat we all hoped he would be.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
You could say the receivers sucked.....or we have had crappy QBs throwing to them. I'll say the latter.

Or the playcalling..

run run go for broke on 3rd and long punt

run run screen pass punt

run run run punt

swing pass, run run punt
Originally posted by Kenyonsdad:
Jimmy boy will maximize the potential of every receiver/te on the roster. VD and Delanie are gonna love this offense. Crabs is a given, I also like Ginn as a returner but I think eventually we'll all see him develop into the speedy deep threat we all hoped he would be.

That's not gonna happen. Let's just be happy with his returns and look elsewhere for a real deep threat.
Thank goodness Sully is out.

Jason Hill's average in his last 4 games in Jacksonville:

10 receptions
233 yards
23.3 per catch

And we NEVER threw deep to him. Sullivan!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Or the playcalling..

run run go for broke on 3rd and long punt

run run screen pass punt

run run run punt

swing pass, run run punt

You know that Sing is looking for a guy just like you. You have such a deep understanding of his offensive mind!
We just haven't had any good receivers until recently.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We just haven't had any good receivers until recently.

Like who ?
It's no surprise the receivers have suffered:

1.) Poor offensive coordinator continuity and/or playcalling.
2.) LARGELY inconsistent quarterback play.
3.) Run-first offense.
4.) Vernon Davis is the offense's primary receiving target (which isn't necessarily a bad thing though).
I'm going to try and list as many receivers as I can think of who've tried and failed in the Niners system in the past and thusfar. This will probably read like a Wall of Shame:

Michael Crabtree - Jury's still out...
Antonio Bryant
Brandon Lloyd

Sullivan's Angels - Receivers who got more reps than they deserved because they tickled Sullivan's funny bone. Not because they were fast or caught the ball particularly well.
Arnaz Battle, the Epitome of Mediocrity
Curtis Conway
Taylor Jacobs
Brian Gilmore
Josh Morgan
Darrell Jackson
Dominique Zeigler

Sullivan's Sh*t List - We'll never know what we had in these guys, or maybe we will now that he's gone. They all got the same treatment as Brian Westbrook did this year. No opportunities whatsoever. I think Lelie had like 7 passes thrown at him all year.

Ashley Lelie
Jason Hill
Ted Ginn