LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Greg Roman named as 49ers offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jim Harbaugh says he will call some of the offensive plays as head coach of the 49ers. But, you can be certain, he will chart the team's course on offense every step of the way.

The 49ers are set to officially announce Greg Roman as offensive coordinator. Roman, 38, will unquestionably have a lot of responsibility. But he will not have autonomy to run the show how he sees fit.

That is Harbaugh's job.

He is the head coach.

It is his offense.

And that is just the way it is when you're a coordinator working under an offensive-minded head coach.

Last season, eight NFL head coaches also served as their team's primary play-caller. The two most successful were Green Bay's Mike McCarthy and New Orleans' Sean Payton.

Quick: Name their offensive coordinators.

If you answered Joe Philbin (Green Bay) and Pete Carmichael Jr. (New Orleans) without looking it up, you got me beat.

Harbaugh seeked a lot of input from different coaches on his Stanford staff. Roman designed the run game. Offensive coordinator David Shaw worked with the passing game. Other coaches had certain responsibilities with play calls in short-yardage and goal line situations, as well as third downs and red zone.

As Harbaugh puts together his staff, it is vital he surrounds himself with people who don't mind sharing the workload. Harbaugh will ultimately be held accountable, and everyone else is just in the background.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/14/11/Maiocco-49ers-offense-will-be-coordinate/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=391430&feedID=5936
Roman will be to Harbaugh what Joe Philbin (Green Bay) is to Mike McCarthy. Philibin (Background coaching TE's and O-Line) is the Packers OC but McCarthy calls plays but leans heavily on Philibin as his right hand man and running game coordinator.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jim Harbaugh says he will call some of the offensive plays as head coach of the 49ers. But, you can be certain, he will chart the team's course on offense every step of the way.

The 49ers are set to officially announce Greg Roman as offensive coordinator. Roman, 38, will unquestionably have a lot of responsibility. But he will not have autonomy to run the show how he sees fit.

That is Harbaugh's job.

He is the head coach.

It is his offense.

And that is just the way it is when you're a coordinator working under an offensive-minded head coach.

Last season, eight NFL head coaches also served as their team's primary play-caller. The two most successful were Green Bay's Mike McCarthy and New Orleans' Sean Payton.

If you answered Joe Philbin (Green Bay) and Pete Carmichael Jr. (New Orleans) without looking it up, you got me beat.

Harbaugh seeked a lot of input from different coaches on his Stanford staff. Roman designed the run game. Offensive coordinator David Shaw worked with the passing game. Other coaches had certain responsibilities with play calls in short-yardage and goal line situations, as well as third downs and red zone.

As Harbaugh puts together his staff, it is vital he surrounds himself with people who don't mind sharing the workload. Harbaugh will ultimately be held accountable, and everyone else is just in the background.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/14/11/Maiocco-49ers-offense-will-be-coordinate/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=391430&feedID=5936

Seems like he is hiring coaches in terms of strength and specialty. Now all we need is an assistant who has had a s**t load of success in the pass game to help with those installs.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:

That is Harbaugh's job.

He is the head coach.

It is his offense.

Seems like he is hiring coaches in terms of strength and specialty. Now all we need is an assistant who has had a s**t load of success in the pass game to help with those installs.

already been a great offseason so far eh? I'm happy about this hire, bring on fangio!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man I'm just looking forward to having a competent well prepared offense. Its been so long since we have had that.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

We are waiting on you to give us some guidance, Will. What do you say?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman

Makin' it rain with Roman

NO.

It's the Roman Empire.

Top Roman?

Roman the streets?

Roamin' with Roman

Moanin' with Roman? (How's that for my 1st post?)
Originally posted by FLYPxSYDE:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman

NO.

It's the Roman Empire.

Top Roman?

Roman the streets?

Roamin' with Roman

[ Edited by ninerfan21 on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by FLYPxSYDE:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman

NO.

It's the Roman Empire.

Top Roman?

Roman the streets?

Roamin' with Roman

Oh nos...I failed.

Anyway, Let's hope all goes well this off season. Starting with the 'hawks getting dismantled by Da Bears.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Roman will be to Harbaugh what Joe Philbin (Green Bay) is to Mike McCarthy. Philibin (Background coaching TE's and O-Line) is the Packers OC but McCarthy calls plays but leans heavily on Philibin as his right hand man and running game coordinator.

This

This hire is discouraging to me. This is not the PAC 10. I know it's the NFC West, but still it's the NFL. We can't expect to move a college staff to the pros and get similar results. I hope these guys are legit.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
This hire is discouraging to me. This is not the PAC 10. I know it's the NFC West, but still it's the NFL. We can't expect to move a college staff to the pros and get similar results. I hope these guys are legit.

The staff has more pro experience then college.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:

The staff has more pro experience then college.

and the pac 10 is more competitive than the nfc west
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Hopefully he's a better OC then his brother was at Safety.

looks young.

hopefully this is the right move, and not just giving a job to his buddy at Stanford. obviously he must be qualified, i just think its fine that Harbaugh is making the transition to the NFL, but i really dont want a whole staff trying to do it too.

I agree with you. I dont think its beneficial to have an entire staff transitioning to the nfl. This worries me.
oh c'mon guys! what could possibly go wrong?

andrew luck 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone