LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Greg Roman named as 49ers offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I trust Harbaugh and i really don't care who we have as long as it wasn't from the family tree of Jimmy Raye!
Man i really cant wait for next season ninerz offense will be back ina explosive way....now lets see who we get in FA and in the draft....ITs looking good guys
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hbarajas650:
Man i really cant wait for next season ninerz offense will be back ina explosive way....now lets see who we get in FA and in the draft....ITs looking good guys

Nice first post, hbara.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

I think it dont really matters because Harbaugh is pretty much the OC. This guy will be there to organize and install the offense. But on game days its gonna be the Harbaugh show.

I think this is good news. With Harbaugh essentially being the playcaller, we don't have to worry about OC's bailing on us evry offseason. The offense will go through Harbaugh no matter what, good for continuity.
Originally posted by Goldrushknight:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Goldrushknight:
I carry a bit of trepedation with this move. Because he carried a position of calling stricktly the running plays on Stanford's offense. And that is all we need. Back to the telethon bore of 1-2-3 run up the gut, then PUNT!

um... what?

You realize Harbaugh will be the promary play caller, right?

During Harbaugh's press conferance he said he will have a hand in the play calling. He did not say he will be calling all the plays or even majority for that matter.

That's just JH trying not to sound like a power hungry douche.
Solid hiring, this guy has (pro) coaching experience at almost all offensive player/assistant coaching positions. -He's the type of guy that's ripe and ready for an OC gig (and he definitely gets along with Harbaugh well enough to make things flow better).
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

I'm still trying to sort out what he did and what Shaw did for the offence at Stanford. Shaw was probably the better guy cuz Stanford kept him.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

I'm still trying to sort out what he did and what Shaw did for the offence at Stanford. Shaw was probably the better guy cuz Stanford kept him.

He designed and called the majority of Stanford's Running Plays. Shaw has more of the head coaching and personality "look" than Roman does.
I sure hope this is the last year for some time that we have to wait til the 1st game to really see what type of offense they are running. I'm real tired of that.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

He designed and called the majority of Stanford's Running Plays. Shaw has more of the head coaching and personality "look" than Roman does.

Thanks. Sounds like he's more hands-on.

• Roxy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Coaching Career

Year School/Team Assignment
1995 Carolina Panthers Defensive Quality Control/Strength & Conditioning Assistant
1996 Carolina Panthers Defensive Assistant
1997-98 Carolina Panthers Offensive Quality Control
1999-00 Carolina Panthers Offensive Assistant
2001 Carolina Panthers Assistant Offensive Line
2002-03 Houston Texans Tight Ends
2004-05 Houston Texans Quarterbacks
2006-07 Baltimore Ravens Assistant Offensive Line
2009 Stanford Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles/Running Game Coordinator
2010 Stanford Associate Head Coach/Assistant Head Coach Offense/Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles

Just playing devils advocate, you could also point out that he never seemed to take to one aspect of football and, as they say, a jack of all trades is a master of none. Don't most great offensive minds begin on offense and display so much proficiency that they ascend steadily and stay in that vein?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm a little worried that he's NEVER been an OC at any level, but I guess Harbaugh will be the defacto OC anyway . . . curious to see how the rest of the staff fills out.

And honestly, with JH being the defacto OC finally puts to rest the constant upheaval of offensive systems every time an assistant come or goes. THANK GOD!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
OC by title only. Harbaugh is the real OC of the Niners.

Yup

This guy is basically there for organizing and installing the offense. Harbaugh will call the plays.

He will be the "Running Game Coordinator" just like he was at Stanford and he will also have a Passing Game Coordinator and Harbaugh will actually call the plays.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM ]
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
2004-05 Houston Texans Quarterbacks

Does this mean Carr has advantage as starting at QB ?
I would have liked a more experienced coordinator like Bill Callahan because not only is he familiar with the offense Harbaugh wants to run, but I'm sure he'd have a lot of advice to offer being a former coach with a Super Bowl appearance under his belt.

But I'll give Roman a chance. Who knows? He could come in a light it up.
Share 49ersWebzone