Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

We are waiting on you to give us some guidance, Will. What do you say?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman

Makin' it rain with Roman

NO.

It's the Roman Empire.

Top Roman?

Roman the streets?

Roamin' with Roman
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
My thoughts on new 49ers Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman:

At first glance, Roman does not look like a big, "sexy" hire. Jim Harbaugh will most likely call the majority of the plays on offense for the 49ers but Roman will be his key, "right hand" man. Roman designed and called the majority of Stanford's running plays the last two years and we know how well Stanford has been able to run the ball in those last two seasons. Roman (39) is a young but has 13 years of NFL assistant coaching experience. Roman started his coaching career with the Carolina Panthers in 1995 as a defensive assistant coach. Dom Capers was the Head Coach at the time and Vic Fangio was the Defensive Coordinator. Roman spent the 95 and 96 season as a defensive assistant on the Panthers staff before moving to Offensive Assistant in 97 and 98 with the Panthers. When George Siefert took over as Panthers head coach in 1999, Roman was the only assistant retained which tells you something. Roman was an offensive assistant under Siefert in Carolina from 99-20001 and learned the WCO from Siefert, Gill Haskell and Bill Musgrave. Roman also met Jim Harbaugh while with the Panthers in 2001 when Harbaugh spent half the season as a backup Quarterback for the Panthers. From 2002-2003, Roman was the Assistant O-Line Coach for the Houston Texans and later was promoted to quarterbacks coach with the Texans from 2004-2005. In 2004, David Carr had a career high 3,541 passing yards with Roman as his QB's coach. That alone should of got Roman an OC job, LOL. Roman went on to be an assistant O-line coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 06 and 07, also working under the WCO with Brian Billick in Baltimore. In 2009, Roman joined Harbaugh's staff at Stanford where he had the title, Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles Coach and Running Game Coordinator.

You have to like the fact Roman has a versatile resume. He was a Defensive Lineman in College and started out as a defensive assistant coach. He was than an offensive assistant coach, a QB's coach, Assistant O-line Coach and Tight Ends coach. I think you can look for Roman to be very heavily involved in designing our running game and I think he will work great under Harbaugh. I like the hire!

O.K. . . . Im reaching for the Kool-aid

LOL. I know he is not the big name some of us are looking for but obviously Harbaugh likes and rely's on him quite a bit. I like the fact he has been in the WCO in Carolina, Baltimore and under Harbaugh at Stanford. Having Exp coaching QB's, TE's, O-Line is also a plus, IMO.

Now I am curious to see who Harbaugh hires as his QB's coach. Mike McCoy was on the staff with Roman in Carolina and also was there when Harbaugh had a cup of coffee with the Panthers. IMO, he would be a great hire but he is a candidate to get the OC job in Kansas City. I think Solari stays as O-line coach and Rathman is almost a lock to stay at RB's coach. For the WR coaching job. I hope we look at Ray Sherman or George Stewart but I have a feeling Harbaugh will go a younger, no name type coach.
Hopefully he's a better OC then his brother was at Safety.

dont curse us
My thoughts on new 49ers Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman:

At first glance, Roman does not look like a big, "sexy" hire. Jim Harbaugh will most likely call the majority of the plays on offense for the 49ers but Roman will be his key, "right hand" man. Roman designed and called the majority of Stanford's running plays the last two years and we know how well Stanford has been able to run the ball in those last two seasons. Roman (39) is a young but has 13 years of NFL assistant coaching experience. Roman started his coaching career with the Carolina Panthers in 1995 as a defensive assistant coach. Dom Capers was the Head Coach at the time and Vic Fangio was the Defensive Coordinator. Roman spent the 95 and 96 season as a defensive assistant on the Panthers staff before moving to Offensive Assistant in 97 and 98 with the Panthers. When George Siefert took over as Panthers head coach in 1999, Roman was the only assistant retained which tells you something. Roman was an offensive assistant under Siefert in Carolina from 99-20001 and learned the WCO from Siefert, Gill Haskell and Bill Musgrave. Roman also met Jim Harbaugh while with the Panthers in 2001 when Harbaugh spent half the season as a backup Quarterback for the Panthers. From 2002-2003, Roman was the Assistant O-Line Coach for the Houston Texans and later was promoted to quarterbacks coach with the Texans from 2004-2005. In 2004, David Carr had a career high 3,541 passing yards with Roman as his QB's coach. That alone should of got Roman an OC job, LOL. Roman went on to be an assistant O-line coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 06 and 07, also working under the WCO with Brian Billick in Baltimore. In 2009, Roman joined Harbaugh's staff at Stanford where he had the title, Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles Coach and Running Game Coordinator.

You have to like the fact Roman has a versatile resume. He was a Defensive Lineman in College and started out as a defensive assistant coach. He was than an offensive assistant coach, a QB's coach, Assistant O-line Coach and Tight Ends coach. I think you can look for Roman to be very heavily involved in designing our running game and I think he will work great under Harbaugh. I like the hire!

O.K. . . . Im reaching for the Kool-aid

Anyone who has success working David Carr as his QB deserves some credit
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by ritchie:
Originally posted by English:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

We are waiting on you to give us some guidance, Will. What do you say?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman

Makin' it rain with Roman

NO.

It's the Roman Empire.

Top Roman?

Roman the streets?

Roamin' with Roman

Ronin Roman

OMG! York is cheap! He went for an unknown person instead of a big name OC! OMG! The sky is fallinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Is it me or does he kind of look like John Belushi/John C.Reilly
[ Edited by PatrickJira411 on Jan 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM ]
The great thing about Roman and hopefully Fangio is that it gives a Harbaugh continuity with his staff.
Seems good. I have a feeling 2011 is going to be boom or bust.

Boom: All of this works and we end up 10-6 or better.
Bust: Bunch of college coaches overwhelmed and we go 5-11.

Let's hope for "boom."

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Is it me or does he kind of look like John Belushi/John C.Reilly

I think it's you. I think he looks more like George Karl.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
OMG! York is cheap! He went for an unknown person instead of a big name OC! OMG! The sky is fallinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!

I know you're being sarcastic and all, but this was Coach Harbaugh's decision...
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Seems good. I have a feeling 2011 is going to be boom or bust.

Boom: All of this works and we end up 10-6 or better.
Bust: Bunch of college coaches overwhelmed and we go 5-11.

Let's hope for "boom."

I have a feeling the 2011 season will be a "wash" with the looming lockout. I think there will be a season but a very short off-season. I think a deal won't get done until July-August

I know you're being sarcastic and all, but this was Coach Harbaugh's decision...

I know, Harbaugh will be the main OC and it seems they work well together. I just wanted to beat some of usual negative suspects.

are you on drugs York doesnt make this decision, its Jim Harbaugh's choice
Share 49ersWebzone