There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

When did the "Super Bowl or bust" mentality end?

I say it was right after Jacksonville slaughtered us in the '99 season opener. Either that or when Aeneas Williams knocked out Steve Young.
After 2002 when we no longer had a QB or a legit WR. After many many years of having guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Owens it still seemed we always had a shot. After losing them, it just was never the same.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
After 2002 when we no longer had a QB or a legit WR. After many many years of having guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Owens it still seemed we always had a shot. After losing them, it just was never the same.

You mean 2003 lol.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
After 2002 when we no longer had a QB or a legit WR. After many many years of having guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Owens it still seemed we always had a shot. After losing them, it just was never the same.

You mean 2003 lol.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
After 2002 when we no longer had a QB or a legit WR. After many many years of having guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor, Owens it still seemed we always had a shot. After losing them, it just was never the same.

That and the full force of the cap situation created in the 90s hit.
We had a 3 time Pro Bowl QB in Garcia from 2000-2002

1999 was tough

Gotta be the 2003, which coincided with the beginning of the York regime, firing Mooch, and hiring Donahue, who actually lived and worked in Los Angeles. And this guy:



2004 brought us quite possible the worst team in NFL history -- the missed field goal returned for a touch down, Cody Pickett, Dorsey and The Rat.

Looking at the roster http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2004_roster.htm the team should not have been that bad but it was

2004 begat the Suit and Alex

The Suit begat the Cross
It ended here.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:


Looking at the roster http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2004_roster.htm the team should not have been that bad but it was

I beg to differ. That team looks horrendous. I'm glad I got over that season alive...
Pretty much when Steve Young got KO'd. I never felt Garcia would win us a Superbowl and Rice was winding down.
Threepeat
When Young's career ended. We knew that without a greatness that had any sort of significant link to Bill Walsh, it would be a long.. long.. time before we even got close to sniffing the glory that is the Super Bowl, ever again.
Originally posted by Muggins879:
Pretty much when Steve Young got KO'd. I never felt Garcia would win us a Superbowl and Rice was winding down.

I don't know, that comeback Garcia had against the Giants told me otherwise. No, I never thought he was the next Montana or Young, but he definitely showed fired and spirit and he wanted to win. He never gave up and I loved that about him.
I felt like it was when Rice left. I was younger and my heart was ripped out.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
We had a 3 time Pro Bowl QB in Garcia from 2000-2002

1999 was tough

Gotta be the 2003, which coincided with the beginning of the York regime, firing Mooch, and hiring Donahue, who actually lived and worked in Los Angeles. And this guy:



2004 brought us quite possible the worst team in NFL history -- the missed field goal returned for a touch down, Cody Pickett, Dorsey and The Rat.

Looking at the roster http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2004_roster.htm the team should not have been that bad but it was

2004 begat the Suit and Alex

The Suit begat the Cross

Errickson was our coach for 03-04 and Alex was drafted by the suit who was hired in 05 which begat that failed FG with finger poke to eye bonus ? Not that it really matters......It's a new day.....or is it?
[ Edited by TDilvr on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM ]
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I say it was right after Jacksonville slaughtered us in the '99 season opener. Either that or when Aeneas Williams knocked out Steve Young.

when the WCO left town.