There are 217 users in the forums

Stadium question for the people who live in SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WildBill:
Is candlestick park and hunter's point on landfill lands? If they are that is bad if even a small quake hits it was my thinking.

No....as I recall I think they were swampland. Thats not a ton better, but one of the things that sank the Stadium/Mall development that SF passed several years ago was that they underestimated the cost of building supports on that land to keep the new stadium secure.

Well...at least that was one rumor. ;-)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Is candlestick park and hunter's point on landfill lands? If they are that is bad if even a small quake hits it was my thinking.

No....as I recall I think they were swampland. Thats not a ton better, but one of the things that sank the Stadium/Mall development that SF passed several years ago was that they underestimated the cost of building supports on that land to keep the new stadium secure.

How the hell did the Giants find the property for the Baseball stadium? There's gotta be something like that somewhere along the City coast that's not Hunters point.
Originally posted by Joecool:

How the hell did the Giants find the property for the Baseball stadium? There's gotta be something like that somewhere along the City coast that's not Hunters point.

Nothing nearly big enough for a football stadium plus parking.
I will leave this here....

Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
I will leave this here....

I'm sure there is a point here.....
I'm sure there is Marvin...

(pssst... pssst... look for freeways. sidestreets, exits, choke points )

OH.

Missed that one. I'm a bit slow sometimes. Sorry.

OH.

oh yeah... the yellow streets are main roads. the gray ones are like residential streets.

OH.

I still think they should just do like Dubia, get in with Al Davis and make a man-made island between Candlestick and Oakland with Bart running from and to for a shared stadium. Epic.
Originally posted by Joecool:

OH.

I still think they should just do like Dubia, get in with Al Davis and make a man-made island between Candlestick and Oakland with Bart running from and to for a shared stadium. Epic.

LOL! That shouldn't be too expensive. ;-)

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by PaulW:
Because one of the biggest issues with Candlestick is the traffic. There is only 1 way in and 1 way out. It literally takes 2+ hours to get out of the parking lot after games.

that's pretty much the case at any major sports arena though. I don't think it's that bad at Candlestick.

the Coliseum is much better imo for traffic as you can take BART

BART = no traffic, no parking, easy as f***

the location at Candlestick sucks...

the dream would be a location close to mass transit in the city but dunno where that would be..

Where AT&T park is . . . Caltrain, BART and Ferry dock are all right there. The ideal spot would have been just across the canal from AT&T, but with all the land UCSF is gobbling up there's almost zero room to park.

Maybe, with all the financial difficulties the State is having, and with the budget the new Governor is proposing, now may be a good time to see if that land currently owned by UCSF is up for sale at the right price.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
All things being equal, I'd love the Niners to stay at that site....but things aren't equal.

Yes, Gavin Newsome suggested the Ex Navy Shipyard, but you neglect to mention the fact that there is ZERO freeway access to that site and traffic would be MUCH worse as the site is surrounded by water on 3 sides. It would actually require infrastrucure (roads, bridges) that would cost as much as the stadium to make the site viable.

That infrastructure will be done with or without the stadium. People can parrot that that is a problem as much as they want but it's happening. The bridge over Yosemite Slough is coming soon, again stadium or no stadium, and there is going to be all kinds of new roads, as well as mass public transportation going to and from the Lennar site either way.

P.S. As much as people like to say otherwise, the Santa Clara site has no direct freeway access either. The people that live in SC by the site all know this but as long as big money tells everyone that there will be 14 freeways and 8 forms of mass transit funneling right into the stadium I guess people will believe it.

I used to work in Santa Clara off of Great America parkway, and commute from Pleasanton. Freeway access is a heck of a lot more accessible ther than over in the Southeast corner of San Francisco along 101. People leaving the park from Santa Clara can head South a few blocks to 101, North a few blocks to 237, bypass the nearest freeway exit & take Tasman to 880. For south bay destinations, you can cut over to the Lawrence Expy. There are other shortcuts around congestion that can be found once you learn the area.

Bottom line is traffic leaving this location will disperse around the area instead of being stacked up single file, like they have to now when leaving SF.
@Marvin49 1/13/11 @9:51am

Gawd Marv, what are you complaining about? The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.* If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the OP of the thread.

I have a question for you Marvin, who pays you to be the spokesperson on THE PROPOSED 49ER STADIUM? I have been on several websites, and there is always someone like you, who is the spokesperson for the 49er Stadium in Santa Clara. In fact on *forums.49ers.com,* they won't even let individuals who live in SF register to be a blogger on their site, because they are Pro-Move the 49ers to Santa Clara website. I'm just sayin... "Thanks 49ers Webzone Fan Forum, for letting all 49er fans join your MB."

@Gavintech...
You are absolutely correct, HP is going to happen, with or without the 49ers Stadium. Your entire comment is on the money. And of course infrastructure, roads, and transportation will be included in the project.

Now I will answer some of your points Marv...

2) The Old Meadowlands in NYC, where the Giants, & Jets played was also built on a Toxic Waste Dump...Did anything happen? NO, it was throughly cleaned up, nobody is glowing green.

4) Thats exactly what I said, the proposed Stadium in SC sits on 14 Acres, it will be built on Great America's overflow Parking Lot. Great America as to date, is involved in a Law Suit with the 49ers, and has NOT giving any permission for the 49ers to Park in their Amusement Park Parking Lot on Game Days.

In fact GA is so PO'ed at the City of Santa Clara elected Officials, and the 49ers for ignoring their concerns about running their business, that GA has threatened to also be open on 49er Game Days....Talk about Nigthmare Traffic Issues.

5) Done Deal...former mayor Gavin Newsom, and Jed York hammered out a deal for ALL REPAIRS TO BE DONE AT THE CANDLESTICK.
http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_16930812?nclick_check=1

7) So Marvin, why didn't the Morabito's lobby the NFL for the 49ers to play football in the South Bay? After all thats where the Morabito's are from, the South Bay...Because the draw is the City of San Francisco itself..(I.E. See the the SF Giants at AT&T Park)

Traffic...Trust me I lived on the North Side of Santa Clara, and if you think Candlestick traffic is bad...get ready for Worst, that proposed stadium site is no where near Freeways 101, or 237...you will have to drive ON SURFACE STREETS TO GET TO THOSE FREEWAYS. And remember this stadium site is also located near a residential area, so a lot of streets will be blocked off.

Lastly Marvin, I say it right up front, I Love the 49ers, and I strongly believe that the team should remain in the City of their Birth. The Pro-Move to Santa Clara folks always say, to a word, "I'd like for the 49ers to stay in SF, but its not feasible." Then they go on to espouse their Bias, as to why Santa Clara is a better location for the team. Just say it dude...You want the 49ers in the Suburbs!

As I said before I, don't care to go back, and forth with you on this subject, cuz you pro-move folks will debate until the cows come home...And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.
[ Edited by 9erB4Us on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM ]
"I don't wish to go back and forth with you, but here's a 10 point list on why you're wrong"
Originally posted by 9erB4Us:
@Marvin49 1/13/11 @9:51am

Gawd Marv, what are you complaining about? The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.* If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the OP of the thread.

I have a question for you Marvin, who pays you to be the spokesperson on THE PROPOSED 49ER STADIUM? I have been on several websites, and there is always someone like you, who is the spokesperson for the 49er Stadium in Santa Clara. In fact on *forums.49ers.com,* they won't even let individuals who live in SF register to be a blogger on their site, because they are Pro-Move the 49ers to Santa Clara website. I'm just sayin... "Thanks 49ers Webzone Fan Forum, for letting all 49er fans join your MB."

@Gavintech...
You are absolutely correct, HP is going to happen, with or without the 49ers Stadium. Your entire comment is on the money. And of course infrastructure, roads, and transportation will be included in the project.

Now I will answer some of your points Marv...

2) The Old Meadowlands in NYC, where the Giants, & Jets played was also built on a Toxic Waste Dump...Did anything happen? NO, it was throughly cleaned up, nobody is glowing green.

4) Thats exactly what I said, the proposed Stadium in SC sits on 14 Acres, it will be built on Great America's overflow Parking Lot. Great America as to date, is involved in a Law Suit with the 49ers, and has NOT giving any permission for the 49ers to Park in their Amusement Park Parking Lot on Game Days.

In fact GA is so PO'ed at the City of Santa Clara elected Officials, and the 49ers for ignoring their concerns about running their business, that GA has threatened to also be open on 49er Game Days....Talk about Nigthmare Traffic Issues.

5) Done Deal...former mayor Gavin Newsom, and Jed York hammered out a deal for ALL REPAIRS TO BE DONE AT THE CANDLESTICK.
http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_16930812?nclick_check=1

7) So Marvin, why didn't the Morabito's lobby the NFL for the 49ers to play football in the South Bay? After all thats where the Morabito's are from, the South Bay...Because the draw is the City of San Francisco itself..(I.E. See the the SF Giants at AT&T Park)

Traffic...Trust me I lived on the North Side of Santa Clara, and if you think Candlestick traffic is bad...get ready for Worst, that proposed stadium site is no where near Freeways 101, of 237...you will have to drive ON SURFACE STREETS TO GET TO THOSE FREEWAYS. And remember this stadium site is also located near a residential area, so a lot of streets will be blocked off.

Lastly Marvin, I say it right up front, I Love the 49ers, and I strongly believe that the team should remain in the City of their Birth. The Pro-Move to Santa Clara folks always say, to a word, "I'd like for the 49ers to stay in SF, but its not feasible." Then they go on to espouse their Bias, as to why Santa Clara is a better location for the team. Just say it dude...You want the 49ers in the Suburbs!

As I said before I, don't care to go back, and forth with you on this subject, cuz you pro-move folks will debate until the cows come home...And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.

To suggest that Niner fans who believe Santa Clara is the better stadium site are turning their backs on history is pretty cheap. I don't remember Kezar but I will cherish the memories of Candlestick forever, and that won't change when they're playing in Santa Clara. And any future epic moments and memories experienced in Santa Clara will be no less valuable to me because they didn't occur in San Francisco. It's all the same franchise. It's all the same history.
Share 49ersWebzone