There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stadium question for the people who live in SF

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
God bless the place, but building it there was a bad idea to begin with in 1958. It's a bad location for weather and traffic . . . although the original capacity was only about 43,000 so the traffic probably wasn't as crazy for Giants games back in the day.

There's organized crime in the city too!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Always heard stories at how bad the traffic coming in and out of Candlestick was. I thought it could not be as bad as people claimed it was. Went to a game in 09, the MNF game against Arizona. Getting in was bad but man getting out...I had never seen anything as bad as that and I have been to NFL games in New Jersey/NY, Tampa, Miami and Atlanta. I mean you don't move for like 2-3 hours. It took us a good 4 hours to get out.

God bless the place, but building it there was a bad idea to begin with in 1958. It's a bad location for weather and traffic . . . although the original capacity was only about 43,000 so the traffic probably wasn't as crazy for Giants games back in the day.

The Santa Clara site has much better access.

Candlestick was hated and trashed for horrible access even in the early 60's. Take it from me, I think I read Moby Dick one day then as a passenger going to/from a Giants game from Marin County. I personally preferred Seals and Kezar Stadiums.

In response to the OP, please realize that the City/County of San Francisco has less people than Ottawa, and is about 1/4 the size of the current City of Toronto, so you've really limited your sample size by your question. (Having lived in both SF and Ottawa, the only remotely close comparable is the population size).

The 49ers catchment area is really mainly the Bay Area, which goes around 60 miles in three directions from San Francisco ( forgive me Farallonians), but also includes anywhere in Northern California within about a 2-3 hours drive. From my experience as a native of The City who moved to the outer reaches when I was around 10, I think this has pretty much been the case since the franchise started up in SF around the same time I did.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by bigmur49:

For the fan watching on TV, playing at AT&T would look great!! (I know they can't stay there because there are not enough seats).

I don't remember if it was like this for the Demons but when they have football games at AT&T now they have to have both teams on the same sideline because there is not enough room to have a sideline on both. I don't think the NFL would go for that.

Yeah that, and the fact that AT&T comes up about 25,000 seats short of the NFL minimum for capacity.
I was wondering the exact same thing just a couple of days ago. You guys have certainly answered. 2+ hours to get out of the stadium? No f'ing thanks!
Hey, stop talking about me!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by PaulW:
Because one of the biggest issues with Candlestick is the traffic. There is only 1 way in and 1 way out. It literally takes 2+ hours to get out of the parking lot after games.

that's pretty much the case at any major sports arena though. I don't think it's that bad at Candlestick.

the Coliseum is much better imo for traffic as you can take BART

BART = no traffic, no parking, easy as f***

the location at Candlestick sucks...

the dream would be a location close to mass transit in the city but dunno where that would be..
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Because one of the biggest issues with Candlestick is the traffic. There is only 1 way in and 1 way out. It literally takes 2+ hours to get out of the parking lot after games.

that's pretty much the case at any major sports arena though. I don't think it's that bad at Candlestick.

the Coliseum is much better imo for traffic as you can take BART

BART = no traffic, no parking, easy as f***

the location at Candlestick sucks...

the dream would be a location close to mass transit in the city but dunno where that would be..

Where AT&T park is . . . Caltrain, BART and Ferry dock are all right there. The ideal spot would have been just across the canal from AT&T, but with all the land UCSF is gobbling up there's almost zero room to park.

This is not true. I've been to who knows how many games, including mnf games, and it has not taken me more than 30 minutes to get out, EVER.

There is only one way in and out, but traffic moves pretty fast. I believe this is just an excuse to get out of SF. Jed clearly doesn't want to play in SF. He wants out.

Where AT&T park is . . . Caltrain, BART and Ferry dock are all right there. The ideal spot would have been just across the canal from AT&T, but with all the land UCSF is gobbling up there's almost zero room to park.

That would be awesome. You wouldn't even need a parking lot if u had a stadium right across AT&T park. You could walk there from the Bart station
Originally posted by Oskiwaski49:

This is not true. I've been to who knows how many games, including mnf games, and it has not taken me more than 30 minutes to get out, EVER.

There is only one way in and out, but traffic moves pretty fast. I believe this is just an excuse to get out of SF. Jed clearly doesn't want to play in SF. He wants out.

Do you leave at half?
Originally posted by CdnNinerfan:

Do you leave at half?

Never. U just gotta be street smart and work ur way out fassst.

Do you leave at half?

Not everybody can get our first and fast.

Did you park in the dirt, or in the main lot? The dirt is where the nightmare stories come from.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Do you leave at half?

Did you park in the dirt, or in the main lot? The dirt is where the nightmare stories come from.

I usually always park in the main lot. Dirt don't count cuz that ain't part of the stadium parking lot, that's a different story. If u park in the dirt that's ur choice.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Do you leave at half?

I usually always park in the main lot. Dirt don't count cuz that ain't part of the stadium parking lot, that's a different story. If u park in the dirt that's ur choice.

Actually, I always park in the main lot, at the WZ tailgate party, but saying that the dirt doesn't counts is twisting the facts to favor your opinion. The dirt does indeed count, as the majority of fans are forced to park there once they shut the main lot down. Could you please explain how the dirt doesn't count?
@SonocoNinerFan....

That is Primo Real Estate in the City. I heard that vacant lot right across from AT&T Park is reserved for an Arena to be built, in the hopes that the Warriors will come back to the City when their lease at Oracle expires in 2 years.

And it is too bad that the 49ers did not grab that land across from AT&T Park up when it was available, now it all belongs to UCSF.