There are 261 users in the forums

Nate Byham As Our WCO Fullback?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I wonder if Rathman can coach Anthony Dixon to play fullback.

I know Dixon didn't play well this season (regular season), but I still have some hope for the kid. He seems like he is a natural receiver out of the backfield, he has pretty good size, he blocks like he is trying to kill people in pass protection, and he can run the ball a little.

Think Rathman can teach him to lead block?

Gore and Dixon in the backfield at the same time?

No, I haven't been playing too much Madden.

I really want to know if anybody thinks Rathman can teach him to lead block.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I know Dixon didn't play well this season (regular season), but I still have some hope for the kid. He seems like he is a natural receiver out of the backfield, he has pretty good size, he blocks like he is trying to kill people in pass protection, and he can run the ball a little.

Honestly I almost guarantee he could coach him up.......I mean if the packers RB coach (Edgar Bennett) can teach John Kuhn and Korey Hall both LB in college how to play FB I'm sure Tom Rathman can do it
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:

I think both of these guys are FA too..

Honestly I almost guarantee he could coach him up.......I mean if the packers RB coach (Edgar Bennett) can teach John Kuhn and Korey Hall both LB in college how to play FB I'm sure Tom Rathman can do it

These 2 are available in FA as well..
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by titan:
I thought D. Walker would be ridiculous as a FB. Good Enough blocker, but a mismatch coming out off the back field.

Won't work, tried it in Madden and he had fumbling issues.

I put D. Walker at FB and I won the Super Bowl!
I don't get why people are not feeling D Walker as a FB, but they have no problem putting Byham or Dixon back there. Honestly, what are RATIONAL (key word) reasons not to move Walker to FB??
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I want a fullback that can catch better than a two year old, I can't believe we have had 4 years of Moran Norris.
Originally posted by Selim55:
I don't get why people are not feeling D Walker as a FB, but they have no problem putting Byham or Dixon back there. Honestly, what are RATIONAL (key word) reasons not to move Walker to FB??

Byham beat out 2 FBs,2 TEs last summer to make the team, led all recievers in recs and yds in pre season games,better blocker ,heavier than Walker,has more experience blocking..DW has better speed and is a recieving TE.. no use trying to put a round peg in a square hole..
[ Edited by franklinfan on Jan 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM ]
No.
Originally posted by franklinfan:

Byham beat out 2 FBs,2 TEs last summer to make the team, led all recievers in recs and yds in pre season games,better blocker ,heavier than Walker,has more experience blocking..DW has better speed and is a recieving TE.. no use trying to put a round peg in a square hole..

Ok, I respect your position. That being said, Byham is a TE as well, so aren't we still trying to "put a round ped in a square hole"?? The late great Bill Walsh said the ideal dimensions of a FB should be 6' 1" 245lbs. Walker is 6'1" 246 while Byham is 6'4" 270plus lbs.

As far as Walkers speed, I think thats a good thing in the backfield. Everyone complained that all we did was run up the middle, but some of that was we didn't have a FB with enough speed to get to the outside & lead block. So there was never a treat to run outside. We would have the same problem with Byham. With Walker, we would have the speed in the backfield to atleast have the threat of outside runs. Byham is a younger, taller, heavier version Norris. His blocking skills would be better served at the TE position.

Ok, I respect your position. That being said, Byham is a TE as well, so aren't we still trying to "put a round ped in a square hole"?? The late great Bill Walsh said the ideal dimensions of a FB should be 6' 1" 245lbs. Walker is 6'1" 246 while Byham is 6'4" 270plus lbs.

As far as Walkers speed, I think thats a good thing in the backfield. Everyone complained that all we did was run up the middle, but some of that was we didn't have a FB with enough speed to get to the outside & lead block. So there was never a treat to run outside. We would have the same problem with Byham. With Walker, we would have the speed in the backfield to atleast have the threat of outside runs. Byham is a younger, taller, heavier version Norris. His blocking skills would be better served at the TE position.

I think Delanie Walker would make a solid transition to FB. Heck, have Byham in the backfield with Walker and Gore every now and then.

I trust Jim Harbaugh to make the right decision
Good OP... if you watched Stanford this year they would use 3TE quite a bit, and even a second team tackle (McGillacuddy, sp?) as a FB, Wing, and TE. I am sure Nate will be utilized like this.
Originally posted by FLYPxSYDE:

I think Delanie Walker would make a solid transition to FB. Heck, have Byham in the backfield with Walker and Gore every now and then.

I think Rath will choose the best overall. I mean he was a beast lead blocker and a receiver. But he didn't have a amazing speed or anything.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:

I think both of these guys are FA too..

These 2 are available in FA as well..

Kuhn would be f**king amazing.
Screw Nate I want to see Sopoaga at FB in short yardage.

I could never find footage of his play at FB (forgot who it was against) but apparently he blew up a LB.
[ Edited by kunged on Jan 15, 2011 at 5:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone