Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by kidash:
I agree with Susweel completely. Gore may have been a team player in the past, but he's more "Julian Washington" (LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday) now than anything. That's the last thing you need when building a championship team

Uh oh, you pissed off the gods, oops I mean the mods, they might erase the whole thread now.

That was actually a joke, I figured the "Any Given Sunday" reference would give that way lol! Everyone so serious about Frank Gore...

Frank gore is obviously not washed up, but all that bs he was talking about not wanting to come off the field imo was kinda disrespectful to the guys behind him, as if they don't have talent, it sounded selfish when he said it and maybe if he was more willing to pace himself he wouldn't get hurt as much.

I don't think that was his intention to send that message of selfishness. No player wants to come off the field and I respect that, I don't condone it.

I don't think he intended to send a selfish message either, but thinking "we won't win unless Im in the game on every snap" is a selfish mentality, if your tired or hurt you'll hurt the team more than help. The team would benefit more in the long run with a healthy gore all season rather than him straining himself for a few games and missing significant time

The fact is, we have needed him on almost every play for our wins because we haven't had consistent QB play and because of a lack of depth at the RB position. I don't understand why you all want to trade him right now. Who is going to take over for him? Westbrook may not come back and Dixon is not a viable option up to this point. The many who support him be traded point to his selfishness that has not been an issue to the current regime. When we hear him complaining to Harbaugh and him be a problem for this team then I will also support him being traded but you have all based this on speculation.
Is Dashon Goldson a veteran because I would prefer Harbaugh/Baalke to let him go
I don't get the man love on the WZ for Gore, I really don't. Yes the guy is a great talent and he's been an amazing player for us, but teams that build their offense around a RB rarely win Super Bowls. Plus these days it's becoming even increasingly more uncommon to have a "feature" back because of injuries. With Gore's unwillingness to share time with other RB's, he is really only effective when he's the offensive focus.

If our goal is to return to the WCO and a philosophy similar to Walsh's, then we should expect and want our RB to be similar to RB's of that era. The Niners' best teams always had multiple RB's who found success in the offense, and that was mainly out of the backfield. It was pretty rare to have one break 1,000 yards; Roger Craig being the exception. And Frank Gore is no Roger Craig...

?

Let's see. Roger Craig
Ricky Watters
Garrison Hearst

Which is pretty much the entire WCO. Except for Derek Loville. That year we did do running back by committee. And it didn't work.

Our best teams were built around one rb, with support at rb and fb. Sorry, but your post fails.
I love how people on here project their personal feelings towards Gore as "evidence" that he is a team player, pretty funny. Come on guys, we are ALL speculating about that... The fact is that he has been the main focus of our offense for a number of years, receiving huge percentages of the team's touches. I highly doubt that will be the case in Harbaugh's WCO system. So the OP was suggesting that he may not be okay with that, and may have to go because of that. Doesn't mean he'll get cut, there are many ways to "get rid of" a player. If he buys into the system and a reduced role, then great we're all good.

Separate point - I think we all need to get back to the ways of Walsh - putting the team ahead of ANY individual player, regardless of how we feel about them. Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Haley, etc (I could go on forever) were let go (either by release or trade) long before their careers were over. It served to get us draft picks for younger players and save the team money. How many teams do you see now that overpay for veterans only to see them get hurt and not even see the field? It happens a lot. The great teams (case in point Patriots) don't wait until it's too late. We shouldn't either.

I'm not bashing Gore, I love the guy's style of play, he's a solid runner, receiver and blocker. But he can't last forever.. If we can get value for him we should take it. If we can't then of course keep him, but reduce his role so he can finish a season and be healthy for the playoffs. Same goes for every other player on the roster.

My problem with this is that until Gore has a problem with Harbaugh over the amount of touches that he gets, this is pure speculation. If we could get value for Patrick Willis(I love #52 by the way), I wouldn't mind trading him IF we had someone as good or better. That is not the case and neither with Gore. Why trade away a player that is one of the best on our team?

See the middle paragraph in my post above. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late. The caveat is we must get value back. If we can't then of course you keep him and make the best of it. We need to get back to looking past just the next season and build a dynasty. Screw the playoffs or even one more Super Bowl. We have all the makings to build another dynasty we just need to do it.

Look at the end of my first sentence. You are basing your reasoning to get rid of him based on speculation. You are acting like Frank is already washed up, also would be based purely on speculation.My point is that we can't get rid of him if we don't have anyone better on our roster. If you believe we do, who is it?

Where did I say or "act like" he is washed up? I said better to get rid of him (or any player) too early then too late. Plus that point has nothing to do with him being a team player or not. RB's have very quick declines, so you have to time it right (again not too late).

If he buys into and is okay with Harbaugh's system, AND we can't get any value for him in a trade, keep him. If he does not buy into Harbaugh's system, or if we can get value for him in a trade, then trade him. Make sense?

You assumed that he was not a team player. If that was just a hypothetical then why would you just mention Gore? If anyone on this team is not a team player then wouldn't it make sense to get rid of them also? That is what makes this thread or at least your message kind of pointless since there is no evidence of Gore being anything but a team player.

Gore has been quoted many times about his desire to never come off the field. I agree with a previous poster that it sends a message to his backups that he thinks they aren't good enough. It also makes it difficult on a head coach to have a rotation because he doesn't want to upset his star. He's also been quoted by other players as asking about his stats in the locker room. I don't have links to any of this, just things I've read along the way. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion. But the people saying he is unequivocally a team player are speculating just as much as I am.

I only mentioned Gore because I was agreeing with the OP. I'm sure there are other players that fit this mold but this thread was about "popular" players who might not be on the team next year. We don't have a lot of popular players lol

The backups aren't good enough...That is my point. Look, this is a new coach and if the coach thinks he has a better player behind Gore then he will get rid of him or give him the ultimatum. However, the reason that previous coaches have not wanted to upset their star is because he is correct in his assessment that the backups are not up to par.

What do you mean by "not good enough?" Not as good as Gore? Well that's true. But they are better than a tired and/or banged up Gore. They are better than a Gore on the IR.

Not good enough to be starters in the National Football League. Better than Gore on IR? If Gore is on IR then he is not complaining about playing time is he? What is sad is that no...I don't even think they are better than a tired or banged up Gore.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I agree with Susweel completely. Gore may have been a team player in the past, but he's more "Julian Washington" (LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday) now than anything. That's the last thing you need when building a championship team

Uh oh, you pissed off the gods, oops I mean the mods, they might erase the whole thread now.

That was actually a joke, I figured the "Any Given Sunday" reference would give that way lol! Everyone so serious about Frank Gore...

Frank gore is obviously not washed up, but all that bs he was talking about not wanting to come off the field imo was kinda disrespectful to the guys behind him, as if they don't have talent, it sounded selfish when he said it and maybe if he was more willing to pace himself he wouldn't get hurt as much.

I don't think that was his intention to send that message of selfishness. No player wants to come off the field and I respect that, I don't condone it.

I don't think he intended to send a selfish message either, but thinking "we won't win unless Im in the game on every snap" is a selfish mentality, if your tired or hurt you'll hurt the team more than help. The team would benefit more in the long run with a healthy gore all season rather than him straining himself for a few games and missing significant time

The fact is, we have needed him on almost every play for our wins because we haven't had consistent QB play and because of a lack of depth at the RB position. I don't understand why you all want to trade him right now. Who is going to take over for him? Westbrook may not come back and Dixon is not a viable option up to this point. The many who support him be traded point to his selfishness that has not been an issue to the current regime. When we hear him complaining to Harbaugh and him be a problem for this team then I will also support him being traded but you have all based this on speculation.

I'm not saying trade him because he's not a team player, although if he displays that with Harbaugh that would certainly be a reason. I'm saying to trade him (or at least shop him) to see if we can get value back. It seems like everyone agrees that he has at best 2-3 years left in him; do we really think we're gonna turn this thing around in that short of a time period? I hope so but it seems doubtful. So let's build for the future, which Gore will not be a part of. A team like the Packers would maybe give up a 2nd round pick for him and we could get a CB, OLB, another RB (like James from Oregon), etc. Someone who would be around for the next 6-8 years. You really saying you wouldn't do that??
I love how people on here project their personal feelings towards Gore as "evidence" that he is a team player, pretty funny. Come on guys, we are ALL speculating about that... The fact is that he has been the main focus of our offense for a number of years, receiving huge percentages of the team's touches. I highly doubt that will be the case in Harbaugh's WCO system. So the OP was suggesting that he may not be okay with that, and may have to go because of that. Doesn't mean he'll get cut, there are many ways to "get rid of" a player. If he buys into the system and a reduced role, then great we're all good.

Separate point - I think we all need to get back to the ways of Walsh - putting the team ahead of ANY individual player, regardless of how we feel about them. Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Haley, etc (I could go on forever) were let go (either by release or trade) long before their careers were over. It served to get us draft picks for younger players and save the team money. How many teams do you see now that overpay for veterans only to see them get hurt and not even see the field? It happens a lot. The great teams (case in point Patriots) don't wait until it's too late. We shouldn't either.

I'm not bashing Gore, I love the guy's style of play, he's a solid runner, receiver and blocker. But he can't last forever.. If we can get value for him we should take it. If we can't then of course keep him, but reduce his role so he can finish a season and be healthy for the playoffs. Same goes for every other player on the roster.

My problem with this is that until Gore has a problem with Harbaugh over the amount of touches that he gets, this is pure speculation. If we could get value for Patrick Willis(I love #52 by the way), I wouldn't mind trading him IF we had someone as good or better. That is not the case and neither with Gore. Why trade away a player that is one of the best on our team?

See the middle paragraph in my post above. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late. The caveat is we must get value back. If we can't then of course you keep him and make the best of it. We need to get back to looking past just the next season and build a dynasty. Screw the playoffs or even one more Super Bowl. We have all the makings to build another dynasty we just need to do it.

Look at the end of my first sentence. You are basing your reasoning to get rid of him based on speculation. You are acting like Frank is already washed up, also would be based purely on speculation.My point is that we can't get rid of him if we don't have anyone better on our roster. If you believe we do, who is it?

Where did I say or "act like" he is washed up? I said better to get rid of him (or any player) too early then too late. Plus that point has nothing to do with him being a team player or not. RB's have very quick declines, so you have to time it right (again not too late).

If he buys into and is okay with Harbaugh's system, AND we can't get any value for him in a trade, keep him. If he does not buy into Harbaugh's system, or if we can get value for him in a trade, then trade him. Make sense?

You assumed that he was not a team player. If that was just a hypothetical then why would you just mention Gore? If anyone on this team is not a team player then wouldn't it make sense to get rid of them also? That is what makes this thread or at least your message kind of pointless since there is no evidence of Gore being anything but a team player.

Gore has been quoted many times about his desire to never come off the field. I agree with a previous poster that it sends a message to his backups that he thinks they aren't good enough. It also makes it difficult on a head coach to have a rotation because he doesn't want to upset his star. He's also been quoted by other players as asking about his stats in the locker room. I don't have links to any of this, just things I've read along the way. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion. But the people saying he is unequivocally a team player are speculating just as much as I am.

I only mentioned Gore because I was agreeing with the OP. I'm sure there are other players that fit this mold but this thread was about "popular" players who might not be on the team next year. We don't have a lot of popular players lol

The backups aren't good enough...That is my point. Look, this is a new coach and if the coach thinks he has a better player behind Gore then he will get rid of him or give him the ultimatum. However, the reason that previous coaches have not wanted to upset their star is because he is correct in his assessment that the backups are not up to par.

how could they be good when they come in for one carry every other quarter, and If I recall, when given ample carries westbrook looked pretty good, and so did dixon. So how do u figure they're not good enough? There were many times this season where frank ran like 10 times in a row for an average of two yards. Your telling me westbrook or dixon couldn't do that?

I'm not saying trade him because he's not a team player, although if he displays that with Harbaugh that would certainly be a reason. I'm saying to trade him (or at least shop him) to see if we can get value back. It seems like everyone agrees that he has at best 2-3 years left in him; do we really think we're gonna turn this thing around in that short of a time period? I hope so but it seems doubtful. So let's build for the future, which Gore will not be a part of. A team like the Packers would maybe give up a 2nd round pick for him and we could get a CB, OLB, another RB (like James from Oregon), etc. Someone who would be around for the next 6-8 years. You really saying you wouldn't do that??

Not without a replacement. I wonder if some of you act like this is a game of Madden. Just trade a player and replace him easily without any problem.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Not without a replacement. I wonder if some of you act like this is a game of Madden. Just trade a player and replace him easily without any problem.

The Patriots do it all the time.
Originally posted by English:
I don't get the man love on the WZ for Gore, I really don't. Yes the guy is a great talent and he's been an amazing player for us, but teams that build their offense around a RB rarely win Super Bowls. Plus these days it's becoming even increasingly more uncommon to have a "feature" back because of injuries. With Gore's unwillingness to share time with other RB's, he is really only effective when he's the offensive focus.

If our goal is to return to the WCO and a philosophy similar to Walsh's, then we should expect and want our RB to be similar to RB's of that era. The Niners' best teams always had multiple RB's who found success in the offense, and that was mainly out of the backfield. It was pretty rare to have one break 1,000 yards; Roger Craig being the exception. And Frank Gore is no Roger Craig...

?

Let's see. Roger Craig
Ricky Watters
Garrison Hearst

Which is pretty much the entire WCO. Except for Derek Loville. That year we did do running back by committee. And it didn't work.

Our best teams were built around one rb, with support at rb and fb. Sorry, but your post fails.

No sorry, its 2011 and you need more than one quality runningback in this pass happy league, just ask the last 4 or 5 superbowl winners, sorry but your 1980/early 90's logic fails

They have not traded away a skill position player with the amount of value that Frank Gore has to the team. If they could do it then they would have traded Brady for many first round picks.

I don't think we should trade gore but obviously he needs to be used differently, maybe like a ray rice/magehee (forgive the spelling) type deal, he should still get the most carries but banging him into the line until he hurts something hasn't neccesarily worked out for us either
[ Edited by qwestlove94 on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM ]
I don't think we should trade gore but obviously he needs to be used differently, maybe like a ray eice/magehee (forgive the spelling) type deal, he should still get the most carries but banging him into the line until he hurts something hasn't neccesarily worked out for us either

Yep, don't throw out the baby with the bath water
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

?

Let's see. Roger Craig
Ricky Watters
Garrison Hearst

First of all, only Roger Craig actually played for Walsh, but I'll address the names you gave anyway...

Roger Craig, most touches ever in a season for the 49ers - 386. 24/game (and this was only one time, in 1988, and he was never the same again. Prior to that he was around that 300 mark so less than 20/game)
Rickey Watters, most touches ever in a season for the 49ers - 305. 19/game
Garrison Hearst, most touches ever in a season for the 49ers - 349. 22/game

These are their highest totals, ever. Gore touches the ball more than this every season. Consistently 20-25 touches a game and it has worn him out. His injuries are well documented, he needs a few series off every game and that will help him tremendously. I didn't say he shouldn't start or shouldn't get the majority of touches. Nor did I say that the Walsh era didn't have a main RB. What I said was the offense back then didn't revolve around the RB.

I love stats, stats are fun (borrowed from Wodwo)
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

They have not traded away a skill position player with the amount of value that Frank Gore has to the team. If they could do it then they would have traded Brady for many first round picks.

Please tell me you're not comparing Gore to Brady. Not even in his universe. Plus QB's are different, they don't get worn out like RB's and other positions.

As for you saying they don't get rid of guys with Gore's value? You can't be serious... Randy Moss? Lawyer Milloy? Richard Seymour? Early/surprising releases of Ted Bruschi and Rodney Harrison. I'm not even a Patriots fan and these are easy to think of, I'm sure there are more. Bottom line they are cut throat when it comes to their players and they always do what's best for their future. Belichick learned that from Walsh!

Please tell me you're not comparing Gore to Brady. Not even in his universe. Plus QB's are different, they don't get worn out like RB's and other positions.

As for you saying they don't get rid of guys with Gore's value? You can't be serious... Randy Moss? Lawyer Milloy? Richard Seymour? Early/surprising releases of Ted Bruschi and Rodney Harrison. I'm not even a Patriots fan and these are easy to think of, I'm sure there are more. Bottom line they are cut throat when it comes to their players and they always do what's best for their future. Belichick learned that from Walsh!

How well was Randy Moss doing before he was traded this season? Oh...and how well did Lawyer Milloy pan out elsewhere outside of the Patriots defensive scheme? Oh...Richard Seymour is not in a skill position, is he? As for the importance of a Gore to our team in comparison to Brady and the Patriots, yes. Yes, he is that important. If the Patriots had a better player behind Brady, do you think they would hesitate to trade him? No. Another example are the Eagles and McNaab. They got rid of him only when they had a replacement. I never said that we should continue using Frank Gore as frequently as he has been used the past couple of seasons but rather I was arguing with the fact he should be traded based on speculation about his selfless or rather selfishness.
[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone