There are 584 users in the forums

Popular veteran player Harbaugh will get rid of

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
I love how people on here project their personal feelings towards Gore as "evidence" that he is a team player, pretty funny. Come on guys, we are ALL speculating about that... The fact is that he has been the main focus of our offense for a number of years, receiving huge percentages of the team's touches. I highly doubt that will be the case in Harbaugh's WCO system. So the OP was suggesting that he may not be okay with that, and may have to go because of that. Doesn't mean he'll get cut, there are many ways to "get rid of" a player. If he buys into the system and a reduced role, then great we're all good.

Separate point - I think we all need to get back to the ways of Walsh - putting the team ahead of ANY individual player, regardless of how we feel about them. Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Haley, etc (I could go on forever) were let go (either by release or trade) long before their careers were over. It served to get us draft picks for younger players and save the team money. How many teams do you see now that overpay for veterans only to see them get hurt and not even see the field? It happens a lot. The great teams (case in point Patriots) don't wait until it's too late. We shouldn't either.

I'm not bashing Gore, I love the guy's style of play, he's a solid runner, receiver and blocker. But he can't last forever.. If we can get value for him we should take it. If we can't then of course keep him, but reduce his role so he can finish a season and be healthy for the playoffs. Same goes for every other player on the roster.

My problem with this is that until Gore has a problem with Harbaugh over the amount of touches that he gets, this is pure speculation. If we could get value for Patrick Willis(I love #52 by the way), I wouldn't mind trading him IF we had someone as good or better. That is not the case and neither with Gore. Why trade away a player that is one of the best on our team?

See the middle paragraph in my post above. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late. The caveat is we must get value back. If we can't then of course you keep him and make the best of it. We need to get back to looking past just the next season and build a dynasty. Screw the playoffs or even one more Super Bowl. We have all the makings to build another dynasty we just need to do it.

Look at the end of my first sentence. You are basing your reasoning to get rid of him based on speculation. You are acting like Frank is already washed up, also would be based purely on speculation.My point is that we can't get rid of him if we don't have anyone better on our roster. If you believe we do, who is it?
[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:25 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I love how people on here project their personal feelings towards Gore as "evidence" that he is a team player, pretty funny. Come on guys, we are ALL speculating about that... The fact is that he has been the main focus of our offense for a number of years, receiving huge percentages of the team's touches. I highly doubt that will be the case in Harbaugh's WCO system. So the OP was suggesting that he may not be okay with that, and may have to go because of that. Doesn't mean he'll get cut, there are many ways to "get rid of" a player. If he buys into the system and a reduced role, then great we're all good.

Separate point - I think we all need to get back to the ways of Walsh - putting the team ahead of ANY individual player, regardless of how we feel about them. Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Haley, etc (I could go on forever) were let go (either by release or trade) long before their careers were over. It served to get us draft picks for younger players and save the team money. How many teams do you see now that overpay for veterans only to see them get hurt and not even see the field? It happens a lot. The great teams (case in point Patriots) don't wait until it's too late. We shouldn't either.

I'm not bashing Gore, I love the guy's style of play, he's a solid runner, receiver and blocker. But he can't last forever.. If we can get value for him we should take it. If we can't then of course keep him, but reduce his role so he can finish a season and be healthy for the playoffs. Same goes for every other player on the roster.

My problem with this is that until Gore has a problem with Harbaugh over the amount of touches that he gets, this is pure speculation. If we could get value for Patrick Willis(I love #52 by the way), I wouldn't mind trading him IF we had someone as good or better. That is not the case and neither with Gore. Why trade away a player that is one of the best on our team?

See the middle paragraph in my post above. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late. The caveat is we must get value back. If we can't then of course you keep him and make the best of it. We need to get back to looking past just the next season and build a dynasty. Screw the playoffs or even one more Super Bowl. We have all the makings to build another dynasty we just need to do it.

Look at the end of my first sentence. You are basing your reasoning to get rid of him based on speculation. You are acting like Frank is already washed up, also would be based purely on speculation.My point is that we can't get rid of him if we don't have anyone better on our roster. If you believe we do, who is it?

Where did I say or "act like" he is washed up? I said better to get rid of him (or any player) too early then too late. Plus that point has nothing to do with him being a team player or not. RB's have very quick declines, so you have to time it right (again not too late).

If he buys into and is okay with Harbaugh's system, AND we can't get any value for him in a trade, keep him. If he does not buy into Harbaugh's system, or if we can get value for him in a trade, then trade him. Make sense?
Originally posted by kidash:
I agree with Susweel completely. Gore may have been a team player in the past, but he's more "Julian Washington" (LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday) now than anything. That's the last thing you need when building a championship team

Uh oh, you pissed off the gods, oops I mean the mods, they might erase the whole thread now.
Patrick willis that guy has to learn how to tackle

LOL comic relief
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
I agree with Susweel completely. Gore may have been a team player in the past, but he's more "Julian Washington" (LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday) now than anything. That's the last thing you need when building a championship team

Uh oh, you pissed off the gods, oops I mean the mods, they might erase the whole thread now.

That was actually a joke, I figured the "Any Given Sunday" reference would give that way lol! Everyone so serious about Frank Gore...

Where did I say or "act like" he is washed up? I said better to get rid of him (or any player) too early then too late. Plus that point has nothing to do with him being a team player or not. RB's have very quick declines, so you have to time it right (again not too late).

If he buys into and is okay with Harbaugh's system, AND we can't get any value for him in a trade, keep him. If he does not buy into Harbaugh's system, or if we can get value for him in a trade, then trade him. Make sense?

You assumed that he was not a team player. If that was just a hypothetical then why would you just mention Gore? If anyone on this team is not a team player then wouldn't it make sense to get rid of them also? That is what makes this thread or at least your message kind of pointless since there is no evidence of Gore being anything but a team player.
My bad, the thread says a "popular veteran" and not a specific so I apologize if I insulted the thread starter

That was actually a joke, I figured the "Any Given Sunday" reference would give that way lol! Everyone so serious about Frank Gore...

Frank gore is obviously not washed up, but all that bs he was talking about not wanting to come off the field imo was kinda disrespectful to the guys behind him, as if they don't have talent, it sounded selfish when he said it and maybe if he was more willing to pace himself he wouldn't get hurt as much.

Frank gore is obviously not washed up, but all that bs he was talking about not wanting to come off the field imo was kinda disrespectful to the guys behind him, as if they don't have talent, it sounded selfish when he said it and maybe if he was more willing to pace himself he wouldn't get hurt as much.

I don't think that was his intention to send that message of selfishness. No player wants to come off the field and I respect that, I don't condone it.
hopefully clements not too popular but you know

• Furlow
  • Veteran

You assumed that he was not a team player. If that was just a hypothetical then why would you just mention Gore? If anyone on this team is not a team player then wouldn't it make sense to get rid of them also? That is what makes this thread or at least your message kind of pointless since there is no evidence of Gore being anything but a team player.

Gore has been quoted many times about his desire to never come off the field. I agree with a previous poster that it sends a message to his backups that he thinks they aren't good enough. It also makes it difficult on a head coach to have a rotation because he doesn't want to upset his star. He's also been quoted by other players as asking about his stats in the locker room. I don't have links to any of this, just things I've read along the way. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion. But the people saying he is unequivocally a team player are speculating just as much as I am.

I only mentioned Gore because I was agreeing with the OP. I'm sure there are other players that fit this mold but this thread was about "popular" players who might not be on the team next year. We don't have a lot of popular players lol

Gore has been quoted many times about his desire to never come off the field. I agree with a previous poster that it sends a message to his backups that he thinks they aren't good enough. It also makes it difficult on a head coach to have a rotation because he doesn't want to upset his star. He's also been quoted by other players as asking about his stats in the locker room. I don't have links to any of this, just things I've read along the way. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion. But the people saying he is unequivocally a team player are speculating just as much as I am.

I only mentioned Gore because I was agreeing with the OP. I'm sure there are other players that fit this mold but this thread was about "popular" players who might not be on the team next year. We don't have a lot of popular players lol

The backups aren't good enough...That is my point. Look, this is a new coach and if the coach thinks he has a better player behind Gore then he will get rid of him or give him the ultimatum. However, the reason that previous coaches have not wanted to upset their star is because he is correct in his assessment that the backups are not up to par.

I don't think that was his intention to send that message of selfishness. No player wants to come off the field and I respect that, I don't condone it.

I don't think he intended to send a selfish message either, but thinking "we won't win unless Im in the game on every snap" is a selfish mentality, if your tired or hurt you'll hurt the team more than help. The team would benefit more in the long run with a healthy gore all season rather than him straining himself for a few games and missing significant time

I love Frank Gore, he has been an all time favorite running back for the 49ers for me. However he has at best 2-3 good years left as a feature back, and thats thinking optimistically. He has had a heavy work load his entire career. He runs a very physical style of football. Very very very few Running backs survive that 30 year old wall.

The fact is that all NFL teams know this fact so we will get very little value for him in a trade. Also Frank is a grinder back, he needs a lot of touches to be effective. He is not like a Chris Johnson or an AP or Jamaal Charles where he he's a home run threat. Frank would not be effective in a time share. We would be wasting his talents.

So as heartless as it sounds and again I love the guy. The only logical thing to do is to use him as often as we can. Burn him up, wear him out, and squeeze him for as much as we can for the next 2-3 years. Then we say thank you Frank for everything you have done for the team. You always have a special place in the hearts of the organization. Good luck finishing your career elsewhere.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

The backups aren't good enough...That is my point. Look, this is a new coach and if the coach thinks he has a better player behind Gore then he will get rid of him or give him the ultimatum. However, the reason that previous coaches have not wanted to upset their star is because he is correct in his assessment that the backups are not up to par.

What do you mean by "not good enough?" Not as good as Gore? Well that's true. But they are better than a tired and/or banged up Gore. They are better than a Gore on the IR.
Share 49ersWebzone