LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

What are we missing to make the switch back to the WCO work?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Otter:
I don't think Harbaugh plans to run a pure Walsh offense. In his interview he made a comment that the Walsh offense is diverse and I don't think he ran a pure version of it at Stanford. From the games I saw, he had quite a bit of power running.

Here's the deal: our new and improved coach is evidently capable of dealing with reality and will tailor his coaching to fit the situation. This will probably confuse some of us who got used to the myth and dogma of the Singlecell years.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I don't think we're missing anything except a QB and an effective Offensive line.

We have Wrs. Sure we could always use some more route runners...but really that's not the issue.

We have HBs...especially if we resign Westbrook.

We have fullbacks between morran and Byham..yes technically Byham is a te...but he has been playing a hybred role.

We have only one major hole at rg assuming that the rest players we have are able to make the transition to more pulling and zone blocking schemes that tend to be seen in the WCO. A. Davis still needs to improve...but I'm keeping an open mind on him.

TE? we have 2 of what could be the best TE tandem in the NFL. I just hope we can use the 2 TE formations in a WCO.

I really don't agree with O-Line being an issue for the WCO. We do have linemen that were drafted for a power running attack (and blieve they will solidy), however in a true WCO you don't have to hold your blocks for ever.
It'll be interesting to see what Harbaugh does with the O-Line. Under Nolan/Singletary they valued big power lineman. Now that Coach 'Baugh wants to go 'pure WCO, he'd probably want guys that are athletic, similar to Guy McIntyre, Ray Brown and Derek Deese. I wouldn't mind if they bench Rachal.

RB is also an issue since Nolan/Singletary wanted workhorse (not very speedy) grinder RBs like Gore, probably Dixon as well. I know people are going to kill me for saying it, but a Kevan Barlow was good for the WCO because he was good in space. Ideally a guy like Ricky Watters, but they can stick with Gore since he has one year left in his contract.

I think WRs, they're okay. but the jury is still out on Morgan.

The WCO requires speed and athleticism, while Singletary/Nolan 'idea' of an offense was power borderline wishbone. I'm afraid to say it, but it might take a while for Harbaugh to overhaul the offense.
  • dj43
WCO starts with receivers that can read the defense and run routes with precision and timing. It isn't just about the QB. It DEMANDS that receivers be precise and consistent on their routes...something that 49er receivers have not demonstrated for years.

It also requires receivers who are bright enough to read a defense and make the correct adjustment as the one the QB sees.

Of course the QB needs to have the ability to read and make adjustments as well but the role of the receiver has not been mentioned so far in this thread so that is where I start.

The OL also must have much better timing on their blocks than the "maul them to death" tactics they have been using for the past 6 years. On the short timing routes that are the core of WCO, the principle job of the OL is to create passing lanes at the precise time the QB needs to throw the ball. They need to learn to cut DE and drive into their mid-section to keep their hands down from blocking passes...again, something this OL has not yet mastered.

Work calls...
We need a W.R. that can cause panic while going deep. Ginn is a deep threat that has a problem catching the ball deep or other wise. I think Crabs has turned out to be a possession receiver. How about a F.B. that can run AND catch like Rathman?
Originally posted by sf4916:
It'll be interesting to see what Harbaugh does with the O-Line. Under Nolan/Singletary they valued big power lineman. Now that Coach 'Baugh wants to go 'pure WCO, he'd probably want guys that are athletic, similar to Guy McIntyre, Ray Brown and Derek Deese. I wouldn't mind if they bench Rachal.

RB is also an issue since Nolan/Singletary wanted workhorse (not very speedy) grinder RBs like Gore, probably Dixon as well. I know people are going to kill me for saying it, but a Kevan Barlow was good for the WCO because he was good in space. Ideally a guy like Ricky Watters, but they can stick with Gore since he has one year left in his contract.

The WCO requires speed and athleticism, while Singletary/Nolan 'idea' of an offense was power borderline wishbone. I'm afraid to say it, but it might take a while for Harbaugh to overhaul the offense.

We should trade for C.J. Spiller. The Bills might take a 2nd rounder for him at this point.
Originally posted by dj43:
WCO starts with receivers that can read the defense and run routes with precision and timing. It isn't just about the QB. It DEMANDS that receivers be precise and consistent on their routes...something that 49er receivers have not demonstrated for years.

It also requires receivers who are bright enough to read a defense and make the correct adjustment as the one the QB sees.

Of course the QB needs to have the ability to read and make adjustments as well but the role of the receiver has not been mentioned so far in this thread so that is where I start.

The OL also must have much better timing on their blocks than the "maul them to death" tactics they have been using for the past 6 years. On the short timing routes that are the core of WCO, the principle job of the OL is to create passing lanes at the precise time the QB needs to throw the ball. They need to learn to cut DE and drive into their mid-section to keep their hands down from blocking passes...again, something this OL has not yet mastered.

Work calls...

Thats the case in all offences, its more important in a vertical system ( like Martz, Turner, Ray, etc. ). WCO calls for bigger receivers that can use their big bodies to shield defenders and to run after the catch, as well as block downfield. Something are starting receivers do well.

Vertical offences usually want smaller receivers that can get in and out of their breaks while running routes.

The Eagles and Vikings are two teams that use bigger, power o-lineman in the WCO. Look at their rosters, it can work.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mtminer:
Originally posted by dj43:

Work calls...

Thats the case in all offences, its more important in a vertical system ( like Martz, Turner, Ray, etc. ). WCO calls for bigger receivers that can use their big bodies to shield defenders and to run after the catch, as well as block downfield. Something are starting receivers do well.

Vertical offences usually want smaller receivers that can get in and out of their breaks while running routes.
Staying on the bolded.

In WCO the ability to read and adjust is far more important than in a Turner style vertical game. WCO is ALL about reading and finding the open spots AND to be precise in routes and open on time. I beg to differ that it is more important in a vert system.

As to big receivers; the best example of WCO right now is Philly and Riley Cooper (#4 WR) is the only guy on the roster over 6'. The rest are 6' with Jackson being mini-sized. GB has Driver at 6' 198, Jennings is 5' 11" 195, Jones is 6' 1" 208 and Bret Swain is 6' 200. I could go on but those are the best WCO teams and all their guys are quick, agile routes runners, not big strapping guys. Guys that can operate in tight spaces and find seams.

As to the 49ers, Morgan is a good blocker, Crabtree is OK, Ginn is a joke. The emphasis on blocking ability this past season was a cover-up for the fact they were poor route runners. When observers would note that the WRs weren't getting open the response would be "but he is a good blocker..." Nonsense.

I don't mean to be confrontative but the facts do not bear out the vertical systems to need more precise route runners than WCO. Vert needs tall strong guys like Vincent Jackson who can go up and get the ball.

I fully expect to see Harbaugh draft a receiver in the first 4 rounds, barring a trade. I have no confidence that the current group will be WCO ready by the start of league. It will be a work in progress.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:

The Eagles and Vikings are two teams that use bigger, power o-lineman in the WCO. Look at their rosters, it can work.

Stanford has had a big line with Harbaugh and the backs have been almost fullbacks, so I don't see a problem with size. Quickness may be another issue. The rookies and Staley are pretty quick and McKittrick-like. They need to be a bit nastier.

Share 49ersWebzone