There are 309 users in the forums

What are we missing to make the switch back to the WCO work?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Otter:
I don't think Harbaugh plans to run a pure Walsh offense. In his interview he made a comment that the Walsh offense is diverse and I don't think he ran a pure version of it at Stanford. From the games I saw, he had quite a bit of power running.

Andrew Luck....

gonna venture to say he did his fair share of passing as well
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:
I don't think Harbaugh plans to run a pure Walsh offense. In his interview he made a comment that the Walsh offense is diverse and I don't think he ran a pure version of it at Stanford. From the games I saw, he had quite a bit of power running.

Andrew Luck....

gonna venture to say he did his fair share of passing as well

Absolutely. I just don't think we are missing many pieces to run Harbaugh's offense compared to a Walsh offense. Except for that one little piece of the puzzle, the QB.
The O-Line

Obviously.

The Great Bobb McKittrick could turn a puffed up 250 pound guard (Derrick Deese) into a LT that did not give up a sack over a 2 year period.

Man, what he could have done with these guys

The effectiveness of the QB flows from the rest and Joe's first year had him a settled unit

Audick, Ayers, Quinlan, Cross, Fahnhorst
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Fullback

fullback who can catch and run
Originally posted by buck:
Fullback

Yes . . . a WCO fullback . . . not a guy who runs and catches like a guard.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
1. QB (will need 3-4 by training camp).
2. FB.
3. New flanker WR (don't expect us to re-sign Josh Morgan or Ziegler).
4. New Slot (made a huge f**king mistake cutting Jason Hill).
5. RG.

This is why I hope there will be no lock-out, cause 60% of these needs can be patched up through FA. (WCO parts are easier to find in abundance lately compared to digit-system dudes in FA since only few teams run the WCO).

morgan isnt a free agent
While I was watching the Orange Bowl, I noticed that on more than one occasion Stanford used multiple TE sets. I think this style of offense is a great fit for players like Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, and Nate Byham.
Fullback

Yes . . . a WCO fullback . . . not a guy who runs and catches like a guard.

Man watching M-Rob yesterday start at FB made me realize he would be a great WCO FB

Fin Dingleberry
Fullback

This. Another Tom Rathman
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:
Originally posted by bracus:
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Receivers who don't have alligator arms.

Haha, you forgot a QB who does not hear footsteps...

I would rate the needs as
1. QB
2. patch the o line
3. WR
4. RB

I don't know about Nate or Troy in the WCO. I will always feel that Alex is a warm body until the real QB shows up.

If Nate couldn't learn the Run, Run, Rollout, Punt offense, then he has absolutely no chance in terms of the WCO.

can't remember, who said he wasn't able to learn?

The names on the tip of my tongue but I dont think he's around anymore.

I don't trust anything that guy said.. about anyone.

Fullback

Fullback who doesn't suck.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The O-Line

Obviously.

The Great Bobb McKittrick could turn a puffed up 250 pound guard (Derrick Deese) into a LT that did not give up a sack over a 2 year period.

Man, what he could have done with these guys

The effectiveness of the QB flows from the rest and Joe's first year had him a settled unit

Audick, Ayers, Quinlan, Cross, Fahnhorst

Yes, and I'd expect to see plenty of it next year too. Until he finds his QB, we'll be pounding the ball, playing keep-away. Before Luck, people criticized him for being too stubborn running the ball. Regardless of how the defense was lined up or what the score was, you could bet on him forcing the run.

I'm going to taper my expectations and hope that he can find his QB quickly.
Originally posted by strickac:

Yes, and I'd expect to see plenty of it next year too. Until he finds his QB, we'll be pounding the ball, playing keep-away. Before Luck, people criticized him for being too stubborn running the ball. Regardless of how the defense was lined up or what the score was, you could bet on him forcing the run.

I'm going to taper my expectations and hope that he can find his QB quickly.

But the difference between Harbaugh and Singletary is that Harbaugh won't be predictable. Every run won't be right up the middle.
Make it happen Coach Harbaugh!

Share 49ersWebzone