LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

What are we missing to make the switch back to the WCO work?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aside from a QB! (That's a given.) What pieces are we missing to make the West Coast Offense work for this team?
Fullback
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Receivers who don't have alligator arms.
Balls
Originally posted by WWFGD:

Haha, you forgot a QB who does not hear footsteps...

I would rate the needs as
1. QB
2. patch the o line
3. WR
4. RB

I don't know about Nate or Troy in the WCO. I will always feel that Alex is a warm body until the real QB shows up.
Originally posted by fister30:

1. QB
2. patch the o line
3. WR
4. RB

I don't know about Nate or Troy in the WCO. I will always feel that Alex is a warm body until the real QB shows up.

If Nate couldn't learn the Run, Run, Rollout, Punt offense, then he has absolutely no chance in terms of the WCO.
1. QB (will need 3-4 by training camp).
2. FB.
3. New flanker WR (don't expect us to re-sign Josh Morgan or Ziegler).
4. New Slot (made a huge f**king mistake cutting Jason Hill).
5. RG.

This is why I hope there will be no lock-out, cause 60% of these needs can be patched up through FA. (WCO parts are easier to find in abundance lately compared to digit-system dudes in FA since only few teams run the WCO).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM ]
Originally posted by bracus:
Originally posted by fister30:

1. QB
2. patch the o line
3. WR
4. RB

If Nate couldn't learn the Run, Run, Rollout, Punt offense, then he has absolutely no chance in terms of the WCO.

can't remember, who said he wasn't able to learn?

The names on the tip of my tongue but I dont think he's around anymore.
1. A Playbook
2. Creativity
3. Attack an opponents weakness

The entire league feels we have the talent here except for at the Safety position. Teams attack our safeties and it has been mentioned many times.

Aside from that, we have no idea what we need until it's actually implemented and a real coach applies it and changes it as needed.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
1. QB (will need 3-4 by training camp).
2. FB.
3. New flanker WR (don't expect us to re-sign Josh Morgan or Ziegler).
4. New Slot (made a huge f**king mistake cutting Jason Hill).
5. RG.

This is why I hope there will be no lock-out, cause 60% of these needs can be patched up through FA. (WCO parts are easier to find in abundance lately compared to digit-system dudes in FA since only few teams run the WCO).

How hilarious would it be if the guy had like a 130 IQ.

kicker
  • ZRF80
*****QB*****

-cant emphasize that enough-
I don't think we're missing anything except a QB and an effective Offensive line.

We have Wrs. Sure we could always use some more route runners...but really that's not the issue.

We have HBs...especially if we resign Westbrook.

We have fullbacks between morran and Byham..yes technically Byham is a te...but he has been playing a hybred role.

We have only one major hole at rg assuming that the rest players we have are able to make the transition to more pulling and zone blocking schemes that tend to be seen in the WCO. A. Davis still needs to improve...but I'm keeping an open mind on him.

TE? we have 2 of what could be the best TE tandem in the NFL. I just hope we can use the 2 TE formations in a WCO.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
I don't think Harbaugh plans to run a pure Walsh offense. In his interview he made a comment that the Walsh offense is diverse and I don't think he ran a pure version of it at Stanford. From the games I saw, he had quite a bit of power running.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Fb and wr
Share 49ersWebzone