Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 538 users in the forums

John Becker Hired as Senior Personnel Advisor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smifunk:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
They are definitely getting all the correct pieces together. I thought Baalke was the right higher because of his eye for players in FA and the Draft. Just look at our FA
Westbrook, Laboy, Reed, Spillman, Troy Smith (Much better than Carr), and Ginn the second ranked PR in the league ATM.

Harbaugh I think was the best choice for Niners, well executed plan to pull him into the organization.

Experienced Football adviser to help with the GM parts that Baalke have not developed yet. The contacts through the league to operate transactions, trades, contracts.

Well done SF, maybe we are going to turn this around with little York.

Not to the grammar police but it's hire not higher

Just fix it and re-post it for me, I.ll give u a heads up on my future posts!
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:
Originally posted by smifunk:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
They are definitely getting all the correct pieces together. I thought Baalke was the right higher because of his eye for players in FA and the Draft. Just look at our FA
Westbrook, Laboy, Reed, Spillman, Troy Smith (Much better than Carr), and Ginn the second ranked PR in the league ATM.

Harbaugh I think was the best choice for Niners, well executed plan to pull him into the organization.

Experienced Football adviser to help with the GM parts that Baalke have not developed yet. The contacts through the league to operate transactions, trades, contracts.

Well done SF, maybe we are going to turn this around with little York.

Not to the grammar police but it's hire not higher

Okay. If you're going to correct someone... start with a complete sentence. Not to "BE" the grammar police.

Secondly, saying higher for hire isn't bad grammar...

it's mispronunciation/spelling.

Moral of the story: No need to chime in with a correction if you're not 100% correct yourself.

hire five lol... thx
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's a good idea because they can help Baalke with his inexperience and poor drafting skills. Maybe they can cover up the shortcomings of Baalke to some extent. If so I'm all for it.



please elaborate


Anthony Davis - F.
Mike Iupati - A.
Taylor Mays - D -.
Navarro Bowman - C.

Didn't get much else. 1 and 3 are terrible.

I've read your insight on the Harbaugh hiring amongst other things. So I'll yawn at your ability to grade our players after one season. It's almost like you have a predetermined destination and the everyday happenings of this team doesn't matter. You are going to get there no matter what.

I hope one day we win a Superbowl and I will expect you to maintain you current vector... if not, then I will be very disappointed in you and your commitment.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Is that exactly what it sounds like?

GM = Shops for the groceries (players)
HC = Prepares the meal
Players = Win

Advisor = ???

Does he have any explicit role? Or does he just kinda sit in the background and give his ideas from time to time?

In other words, the guy the GM/HC calls when they want to be like, "Does this idea sound good?"

He tells the g.m if the groceries are fresh???
Anyone feel that finding a Senior Football Advisor will be much easier now that we have Harbaugh?

I think, initially, we wanted to hire an experienced GM/executive like Floyd Reese... but seriously... with our organization's reputation, how were we ever going to find such a guy? The only guy we could hope to attract was a rookie GM/executive, or break the bank for someone.

Perhaps we wanted to go about trying to find an elite Head Coach hire such as Harbaugh so that we could show that we were trying to reverse our trend of mediocrity.

I doubt there's a "conspiracy" to get certain people here by hiring other people, but I think the hiring of Harbaugh definitely helps our reputation... and in doing that, helps hire an executive.

Of course, the reverse would've been true. Hiring an elite executive would've helped hire Harbaugh or whatever coach we targetted.

Dunno... Just a thought.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Anyone feel that finding a Senior Football Advisor will be much easier now that we have Harbaugh?

I think, initially, we wanted to hire an experienced GM/executive like Floyd Reese... but seriously... with our organization's reputation, how were we ever going to find such a guy? The only guy we could hope to attract was a rookie GM/executive, or break the bank for someone.

Perhaps we wanted to go about trying to find an elite Head Coach hire such as Harbaugh so that we could show that we were trying to reverse our trend of mediocrity.

I doubt there's a "conspiracy" to get certain people here by hiring other people, but I think the hiring of Harbaugh definitely helps our reputation... and in doing that, helps hire an executive.

Of course, the reverse would've been true. Hiring an elite executive would've helped hire Harbaugh or whatever coach we targetted.

Dunno... Just a thought.

I think we probably could have landed an executive without Harbaugh as long as that exec thought our front office would listen to him. I'm sure lots of them would like the challenge, and lots would love to leave their stamp on a once-great franchise.

That said, I think you're right about the more important thing now- the Harbaugh hiring greatly increases the stock and credibility of our front office, which should only help with hirings from now on. It's a perpetuating cycle.
Sounds like they want someone to fill in what Baalke don't know. Maybe managerial side.
@ people debating SD9er.
Maybe Mike Lombardi
Senior Advisor's are not just for inexperiensed GM's. Belicheck brought in Floyd Reese as senior advisor, and A.J. Smith down in San Diego has one, too. I'm sure there are others out there that I've missed or that we don't know about.

Based on the serious rip jobs against the Niners, and his outright lies, I'd imagine it won't be Lombardi or any of the younger guys who might have been GM. Maybe someone who is semi-retired and won't even be in the building, just available for additional perspective or NFL contacts.
I'm wondering if Harbaugh insisted on this move as a condition of accepting the gig.
As I've been saying for 5 years - Bring back George Seifert.
My guess is the Niners will hire a psychic with a ouji board to contact Bill Walsh....
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm wondering if Harbaugh insisted on this move as a condition of accepting the gig.

Pure speculation. And surely he would want to know who the advisor is before making his employment a condition?

So Harbaugh would have wanted the guy in place first. So logically, this seems unlikely IMO
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's a good idea because they can help Baalke with his inexperience and poor drafting skills. Maybe they can cover up the shortcomings of Baalke to some extent. If so I'm all for it.



please elaborate


Anthony Davis - F.
Mike Iupati - A.
Taylor Mays - D -.
Navarro Bowman - C.

Didn't get much else. 1 and 3 are terrible.

Oh, I love grades set in stone after 1 year.

Mays barely played. But, he's a D- because he didn't score 4 defensive TDs. Good grade. Bowman showed speed and had a good game last game, but he's a C because he get juked by Kolb. Anthony Davis played next to by far a worse lineman than himself. But his improvement over the year doesn't institute anything better than an F. And he sure lowered his grade by stifling Clay Matthews because Matthews is a scrub.

Anthony Davis is a scrub. He got abused all year long. We traded up to get that guy and gave up picks. Just shows you how good Baalke is and that he needs oversight...

I'm not getting roped into an argument with you. You just LOOOOOVE to do it and I won't give you the gratification.

No matter what logic I will use, EVER -- it doesn't matter. You turn a blind eye to anything reasonable just to get a rise out of people.

Did Anthony Davis play good?... It was either...

~ Holding
~ False start
~ Getting beat to the QB by the defender

That's what I saw all year.

Simple post from a simple man. You obviously only point out the negatives because you don't follow OL play closely enough.

lawl, he called you simple.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone