LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

John Becker Hired as Senior Personnel Advisor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Hoping they look at a Floyd Reese or re-consider Lombardi for this position.

lombardi already turned down a lesser role than gm tho

This would be as an adviser. He wouldn't be working under anybody as he would have been before.

As for how he conducted himself. I think he was only being honest, that's his job. I don't have a problem with him saying what could have been and I don't recall him openly criticizing the 49ers but if I'm wrong please show me where he did and I'll change my tune.

It is not just because he came out and said that he didn't get the job; but that he also said that it was all but in the bag that Baalke was the hire. He did that as a journalist, not as a potential GM in this league. He got a scoop. He chose to be a journalist. If you are going to be a GM in this league you don't go shooting your mouth off about what was discussed in a private meeting.

Like I said; you don't kiss and tell.

Look at Harbaugh's press conference; he stated that he wouldn't disclose anything from his meeting with the Dolphins or Stanford. He was being a professional.

Lombardi was being a journalist.

lombardi is a b**ch who starting calling out our front office and the team because he didnt get the GM job. we can find someone better
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

This would be as an adviser. He wouldn't be working under anybody as he would have been before.

As for how he conducted himself. I think he was only being honest, that's his job. I don't have a problem with him saying what could have been and I don't recall him openly criticizing the 49ers but if I'm wrong please show me where he did and I'll change my tune.

LaCanfora was doing all of the criticizing for Lombardi. Honestly, don't you think the fact that they both work for NFL Network makes this article a little unprofessional?

This type of thing was being said on NFL Network all week by LaCanfora. Combine that with the fact that right after his interview Lombardi immediately went on NFL Network and said that he was never a candidate and that Baalke would be hired in 48 hours.

I do not want Lombardi anywhere near this team. Not only does he not have any actual General Manger experience, but he is a bitter weasel turd who is still b***hing in the media about his days as a "Yes Man" for Al Davis.

Originally posted by LaCanfora:
The San Francisco 49ers' odds of landing Jim Harbaugh as their head coach looked bleak Thursday unless they up their financial offer to him, and that could force the team to focus elsewhere.

The Miami Dolphins are making a heavy push for Harbaugh, who still could opt to stay at Stanford.

As NFL.com and NFL Network previously reported, the 49ers' front-office structure could be a considerable hindrance to the team landing Harbaugh, who clearly is the top candidate.

Had the 49ers changed their structure and been willing to hire an outside GM, then meet the financial threshold that Harbaugh is commanding on the market, they could have built a dream staff, according to sources.

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi interviewed for the GM position Tuesday in San Francisco. Lombardi has strong ties to Harbaugh, but also McDaniels, with the possibility of having McDaniels as offensive coordinator and another former head coach as defensive coordinator.
The most important character quality they should look for is a guy who has his ego under control! Don't need someone coming in playing Baalke against Harbaugh to further their feeling of superiority! That leaves Lombardi out...he couldn't wait to go on TV to say his interview was a sham. This might have been true but he was ill-advised to go public.

Edit--OK, Wodwo, Fred and Dynasty beat me to the keys!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:12:57 ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:

LaCanfora was doing all of the criticizing for Lombardi. Honestly, don't you think the fact that they both work for NFL Network makes this article a little unprofessional?

This type of thing was being said on NFL Network all week by LaCanfora. Combine that with the fact that right after his interview Lombardi immediately went on NFL Network and said that he was never a candidate and that Baalke would be hired in 48 hours.

I do not want Lombardi anywhere near this team. Not only does he not have any actual General Manger experience, but he is a bitter weasel turd who is still b***hing in the media about his days as a "Yes Man" for Al Davis.

The San Francisco 49ers' odds of landing Jim Harbaugh as their head coach looked bleak Thursday unless they up their financial offer to him, and that could force the team to focus elsewhere.

The Miami Dolphins are making a heavy push for Harbaugh, who still could opt to stay at Stanford.

As NFL.com and NFL Network previously reported, the 49ers' front-office structure could be a considerable hindrance to the team landing Harbaugh, who clearly is the top candidate.

Had the 49ers changed their structure and been willing to hire an outside GM, then meet the financial threshold that Harbaugh is commanding on the market, they could have built a dream staff, according to sources.

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi interviewed for the GM position Tuesday in San Francisco. Lombardi has strong ties to Harbaugh, but also McDaniels, with the possibility of having McDaniels as offensive coordinator and another former head coach as defensive coordinator.

That article made me sick. I'll never be able to trust NFLN again. Talk about a lack of journalistic integrity.

Lombardi turned Jed down for a position a week ago so I would guess he won't be considered.
Originally posted by NewEraNiner:

That article made me sick. I'll never be able to trust NFLN again. Talk about a lack of journalistic integrity.

thats straight bs by lombardi, how are you gonna have mcdaniels as the oc when harbaugh runs the west coast and mcdaniels runs more of a spread?? plus harbaugh calls plays and im sure mcdaniels is not just gonna be sitting there as an oc not calling plays
This is the same sort of position Bill Walsh filled a few years back when Donahoe (sp) was GM.

Agree! Talk about consider the source!
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
This is the same sort of position Bill Walsh filled a few years back when Donahoe (sp) was GM.

Man I wish he was still around for the role. That would be perfect.

Is there anyone else out these who is connected to the Walsh legacy but also has lost of current contacts around the NFL?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Carmen Policy?
This is where the fun begins, and what Eddie D was talking about in his last KNBR interview, Jed's getting his 'football guy' in the front office, to lock down future consistency in the FO. (Lots of bulls**t VPs that don't even need to be there will be fired, and replaced with 'one-two' guys who can handle the daily operations.)

This is the first step to becoming a respectable franchise, it stems larger than even Coach and GM, we need to pack the FO with guys other teams would be clamoring for 4 years down the road (like the Pats).
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Man I wish he was still around for the role. That would be perfect.

Is there anyone else out these who is connected to the Walsh legacy but also has lost of current contacts around the NFL?

George Seifert?
This is great news because it's a departure from what the Yorks have been doing for so long. Jed is really on a roll.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I can't believe that this is actually happening....

I wanted an experienced, well connected, politically savvy General Manager more than I wanted a big name Head Coach.

Then I researched Jim Harbaugh and after watching the Orange Bowl and the discipline and aggression that the team showed during the game in all phases, followed by the way Harbaugh conducted himself after the game with the media... I was on that bandwagon, even though I hate jumping on bandwagons.

So, I wasn't thrilled with the idea Baalke as General Manager, even though I think he's done a good job in his brief "interim" role, but I was willing to live with it because I could see the need to expedite the process in order to hire Harbaugh, so that he would not only have a better chance of signing, but also have some time to work with the players and coaches before the season officially ends.

That doesn't mean I was going to be happy if we didn't bring in another person with Front Office experience to serve in some form of advisory role, at the very least. If we can actually pull that off and hire someone that has connections around the NFL due to his previous experience as well as a knowledge of the politics and rules of The League to help mentor Baalke and advise him... I will be so f**king happy that I won't know what to do with myself.

Also, I'm really getting the sense that Jed is taking a step back from the spotlight and a step forward in his growth. One of the reasons that I originally wanted an experienced GM was so that they could teach Jed teh footballs. Well, it looks like Uncle Eddie has been doing a fine job in that role. So, I'll take it.

I have not been this excited about the 49ers in over a decade.

Now all they have to do is win.
Share 49ersWebzone