There are 200 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Napman85:
Talks are at this point that Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB to go in the draft, so I wouldn't expect him to go 2nd round, but you never know. I think current talks are top 5 pick overall.

Which after watching him play at MU, I can say he definitely has the physical tools and is a smart coach-able guy, but I don't know if he would be ready to start... JMO.

It will depend on whether or not Newton comes out. Also how the look in pro days and the combine.

My concern is whether or not Gabbert, or anyone else is a legit #7 pick. From what I have read, after Luck this year is a rather mediocre year for QBs. Yes, there are a lot of them being talked about but none of them will really blow your socks off.

The question is; do you reach for a QB because of need or do you get the best value at the #7 position, which could be a pass rusher, a speedy WR or a CB? All of those choices will be there at #7.

Right now, I take the best value of the other three and get my QB in the 2nd round.

agreed. I think we could take a qb 2nd, 3rd or even round. IMO with Luck out of the equation there is minimal difference between the top QB's. I would even venture to say as many as 6 QBs are about equal.

I would prefer NOT to take one in the first round... but if a QB is the BPA then I'm all for it. We have so many other needs that I don't want to pick one just because we need one. Preferably I would like to get a top CB or OLB.

I think I would like to come away with Pat Devlin or Kellen More... they can be had in later rounds (depending on what happens at the combine) and I like the risk/reward on both of them. Stanzi is another player I think would fit nicely in the WCO.

I think there is enough risk of massive failure with the top QB's that any of these are going to be similiar to me... just a matter of where you draft them.

Jake Locker - Prob #1 overall if he came out last yr... what happened?
Blaine Gabbert - I went to Kansas State... hard to like a tiger
Ryan Mallett - This guy could great or he could be Ryan Leaf
Cam Newton - Is he the next McNabb, VY, or Jamarcus Russell?
Pat Devlin - My top choice
Kellen Moore - My second choice
Ricky Stanzi - my third choice

Regardless, we are definately going to need a veteran to start the season, because I don't think any of these guys are ready to start from day one.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by dr8van:
McNabb makes the most sense for Harbaugh (if thats the coach). WCO, trade this years 4th and a conditional 3rd next year to the skins, draft a QB in the 2nd rd, grab the lock down corner in the first round. Sign McNabb for 2 yrs. Sign Westbrook for 2 yrs. Let the rookie learn for 2 years. McNabb in Harbaugh's WCO will be enough to win 11 games and the division in those 2 yrs. The organization will look better and the front office stable with success. At that point this team would be able to take off.

Completely agree. Get mcnabb or kolb and we are good. They are both accurate and mobile and we need both. Both troy and alex werent accurate....esp troy. How do you complete far less than 50 percent of your passes in games against bad defenses. You cant fix accuracy problems that easily. We need to trade a second for kolb because he is better than most second round qbs and alot of first rounders as of late. Or mcbabb and we will pay a lot for him but he is a good vet who takes care of the ball. If we had that this year we would of been at least 9 - 7. We need to draft a cb in the first. The de olbs are npt a lock but the top 2 cbs seem to be a safe bet

I'm sorry, but McNabb and Kolb are not considered "accurate" passers, they both have big arms and are capable of making plays. McNabb is not that mobile anymore. I wouldn't mind either of those guys, but if we have to overpay for them, I'd rather stick with Troy and sign Orton, and spend our money somewhere else.

Kolb is known as Accurate and does not have a big arm. Mcnabb is getting unaccurate but does have a big arm
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Kyle orton easily.

Denver wants a 2nd round pick. Too expensive for a guy not markedly better than A. Smith.
Simple. Extend Alex Smith.
Originally posted by YorkHater:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by dr8van:
McNabb makes the most sense for Harbaugh (if thats the coach). WCO, trade this years 4th and a conditional 3rd next year to the skins, draft a QB in the 2nd rd, grab the lock down corner in the first round. Sign McNabb for 2 yrs. Sign Westbrook for 2 yrs. Let the rookie learn for 2 years. McNabb in Harbaugh's WCO will be enough to win 11 games and the division in those 2 yrs. The organization will look better and the front office stable with success. At that point this team would be able to take off.

Completely agree. Get mcnabb or kolb and we are good. They are both accurate and mobile and we need both. Both troy and alex werent accurate....esp troy. How do you complete far less than 50 percent of your passes in games against bad defenses. You cant fix accuracy problems that easily. We need to trade a second for kolb because he is better than most second round qbs and alot of first rounders as of late. Or mcbabb and we will pay a lot for him but he is a good vet who takes care of the ball. If we had that this year we would of been at least 9 - 7. We need to draft a cb in the first. The de olbs are npt a lock but the top 2 cbs seem to be a safe bet

I'm sorry, but McNabb and Kolb are not considered "accurate" passers, they both have big arms and are capable of making plays. McNabb is not that mobile anymore. I wouldn't mind either of those guys, but if we have to overpay for them, I'd rather stick with Troy and sign Orton, and spend our money somewhere else.

Kolb is known as Accurate and does not have a big arm. Mcnabb is getting unaccurate but does have a big arm

The reputation of Kolb being accurate was before 2010. He was so-so as far as accuracy was concerned this past season. He was less accurate than Vick who was never known for accuracy.
I'll take Vince young, and that's about it. He's the only one proven QB, who has a winning record, and all the qb skills. Just needs a coach that can change and improve his work ethic.

Harbaugh could def get him on the right track I think.
Now that Jimmy H is our coach, we should think about taking a look at Josh Johnson. A QB who played well under the tutelage of Harbaugh, a QB who knows the verbiage of the WCO, and a QB who is young and should not be difficult to obtain.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by Napman85:
Talks are at this point that Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB to go in the draft, so I wouldn't expect him to go 2nd round, but you never know. I think current talks are top 5 pick overall.

Which after watching him play at MU, I can say he definitely has the physical tools and is a smart coach-able guy, but I don't know if he would be ready to start... JMO.

It will depend on whether or not Newton comes out. Also how the look in pro days and the combine.

My concern is whether or not Gabbert, or anyone else is a legit #7 pick. From what I have read, after Luck this year is a rather mediocre year for QBs. Yes, there are a lot of them being talked about but none of them will really blow your socks off.

The question is; do you reach for a QB because of need or do you get the best value at the #7 position, which could be a pass rusher, a speedy WR or a CB? All of those choices will be there at #7.

Right now, I take the best value of the other three and get my QB in the 2nd round.

agreed. I think we could take a qb 2nd, 3rd or even round. IMO with Luck out of the equation there is minimal difference between the top QB's. I would even venture to say as many as 6 QBs are about equal.

I would prefer NOT to take one in the first round... but if a QB is the BPA then I'm all for it. We have so many other needs that I don't want to pick one just because we need one. Preferably I would like to get a top CB or OLB.

I think I would like to come away with Pat Devlin or Kellen More... they can be had in later rounds (depending on what happens at the combine) and I like the risk/reward on both of them. Stanzi is another player I think would fit nicely in the WCO.

I think there is enough risk of massive failure with the top QB's that any of these are going to be similiar to me... just a matter of where you draft them.

Jake Locker - Prob #1 overall if he came out last yr... what happened?
Blaine Gabbert - I went to Kansas State... hard to like a tiger
Ryan Mallett - This guy could great or he could be Ryan Leaf
Cam Newton - Is he the next McNabb, VY, or Jamarcus Russell?
Pat Devlin - My top choice
Kellen Moore - My second choice
Ricky Stanzi - my third choice

Regardless, we are definately going to need a veteran to start the season, because I don't think any of these guys are ready to start from day one.

You can't forget about Kapernick out of Reno! He's in the mold of Cam Newton. He can run and he can throw. I think he's 6-6 Lot's to pick from.
With Harbaugh signed, it's time to bring some VINCEANITY to the 49ers! Let him develop Vince Young like Jeff Fisher and his archaic 1985 ways never bothered to!
Double post*

[ Edited by RDB4216 on Jan 7, 2011 at 13:41:17 ]

Originally posted by sgtkamai:
Simple. Extend Alex Smith.

across a railroad track (no train of course)
sorry....just a figure of speech
  • dj43
We can be sure that the first order of business for Harbaugh after he settles his staff will be to make a decision on how to proceed for a QB this season. While we may never hear about it, his first call will be to Alex Smith.

As we have all learned in our analysis of the available QB names, Alex Smith is at or very nearly at the top, of available QBs. So while I have been predicting for weeks that Smith would not consider coming back, Harbaugh is the one guy that could convince both Alex and the fan base to come back. He would clearly be better than anyone else that would not cost a draft pick.

This team has major holes to fill that are best filled by high draft choices. To have to give up a 1st for Kolb or a 2nd for Orton would slow the process.
We can be sure that the first order of business for Harbaugh after he settles his staff will be to make a decision on how to proceed for a QB this season. While we may never hear about it, his first call will be to Alex Smith.

As we have all learned in our analysis of the available QB names, Alex Smith is at or very nearly at the top, of available QBs. So while I have been predicting for weeks that Smith would not consider coming back, Harbaugh is the one guy that could convince both Alex and the fan base to come back. He would clearly be better than anyone else that would not cost a draft pick.

This team has major holes to fill that are best filled by high draft choices. To have to give up a 1st for Kolb or a 2nd for Orton would slow the process.

His first order of business will be to hire a staff, then watch film on Alex Smith and talk to people like Johnson.

I really really hope he sees something in Alex and gets him.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I'll take Vince young, and that's about it. He's the only one proven QB, who has a winning record, and all the qb skills. Just needs a coach that can change and improve his work ethic.

Harbaugh could def get him on the right track I think.

V. Young will likely cost a draft pick despite the Titans owner's threat of cutting him.

Let's not forget that Young did not well when the Titans did well, and this year didn't do well when the Titans flopped. IMO, his winning record is suspect precisely because of that fact.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

His first order of business will be to hire a staff, then watch film on Alex Smith and talk to people like Johnson.

I really really hope he sees something in Alex and gets him.
I agree and in that order. It seemed like Johnson definitely liked Smith. The question is; does he REALLY like Alex Smith or did he just like him better than Troy?

Johnson knows Alex better than anyone. He was his QB coach the last two seasons and reports were they got on well.

One thing Harbaugh will have going for him is that he likes guys LIKE the 49er OL but will not tolerate them playing as poorly as they did at critical times this year. If he can fix that line, then he will have a much better time convincing Alex to come back.
Share 49ersWebzone