LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 148 users in the forums

Kawakami's latest

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
As usual............the truth hurts. If this Baalke stuff is true and Jed goes for the easy solution instead of actually taking his time to find the "right man for the job", get used to another 5 years of losing.

calm down it sounds like you want us to lose, Baalke is way better than any GM we have had for the last 10 years
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
As usual............the truth hurts. If this Baalke stuff is true and Jed goes for the easy solution instead of actually taking his time to find the "right man for the job", get used to another 5 years of losing.

calm down it sounds like you want us to lose, Baalke is way better than any GM we have had for the last 10 years
based on......?

yeah says who?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NINER49:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
This guy might be working for Jed for quite some time now but he never was a 49ers guy or somebody whose name has been floating around for years. Some GMs with other teams were unknown before they got their job and their team started winning.

Trent started from the bottom of the profession and obviously he's got talent and good management/leadership skills to reach this far, albeit the 49ers. After I've seen him talk a few times during the draft and that he puts out very good presentations tells me he is a very good professional and knows what he's talking about.

Also, when he was on KNBR (or another radio station - can't remember when) he appeared to be a personable and likeable guy. I have seen GMs that are just total AsHls and can't even do a decent job. If I am working for a big company and doing my best, with all the talent that I have, dedication, and loyalty to elevate myself to the next position and just get bypassed by an outsider - I would be so raging MAD.

Nice 49erSam, I agree. This team is in good position to begin winning, we need a QB and coach to lead. Baalke is more than capeable of putting the structure together. He is after all a protege of Parcells. Trent Baalke isn't our problem and very well could be part of the solution, from what I've heard Harbough and Gruden think highly of Baalke.

This^^^^^.

We basically need a GM who has the sac to get us a real QB, real quick, so we can attract and keep a quality coaching staff.

I don't think people realize how much impact the AS era has had on the franchise. You take the first pick of the draft 2005, a QB, and if he performs even half as much as his potential shows...it's a totally different ballgame we are in today. These discussion's could very well not be taking place. Nolan, the York's, McC, the FO and coaching staff could very well be looked upon as a winning group today. That's what happens when the player you have invested heavily in and are building a franchise around busts out. It really f**ks up the program, it will set you back a decade. That's the real issue...nobody can succeed in the NFL be it owner, coach or waterboy without a winning QB for too long...eventually it will catch up to you and the whole thing will come crumbling down, and drag everybody down with it.

Pretty f**king simple s**t, really.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 29, 2010 at 08:07:12 ]
To people supporting the Baalke hire, let me ask you. If we were to go out and get the director of player personnel from the Bills, Panthers, Broncos, etc. would you still think that was OK? Because what we're doing to fix this team is getting the director of player personnel from a bad team. It's normally guys from NE, Baltimore, NYG, etc etc that get these jobs...not guys from the worst teams in the league. But hey, his first draft was brilliant, because you know, so many of these rookies have been great for us. And if you think rookies don't make a difference, go check out Cleveland's draft, or KC's draft, this year.
Originally posted by Blitz:
This guy might be working for Jed for quite some time now but he never was a 49ers guy or somebody whose name has been floating around for years. Some GMs with other teams were unknown before they got their job and their team started winning.

Trent started from the bottom of the profession and obviously he's got talent and good management/leadership skills to reach this far, albeit the 49ers. After I've seen him talk a few times during the draft and that he puts out very good presentations tells me he is a very good professional and knows what he's talking about.

Also, when he was on KNBR (or another radio station - can't remember when) he appeared to be a personable and likeable guy. I have seen GMs that are just total AsHls and can't even do a decent job. If I am working for a big company and doing my best, with all the talent that I have, dedication, and loyalty to elevate myself to the next position and just get bypassed by an outsider - I would be so raging MAD.

Nice 49erSam, I agree. This team is in good position to begin winning, we need a QB and coach to lead. Baalke is more than capeable of putting the structure together. He is after all a protege of Parcells. Trent Baalke isn't our problem and very well could be part of the solution, from what I've heard Harbough and Gruden think highly of Baalke.

This^^^^^.

We basically need a GM who has the sac to get us a real QB, real quick, so we can attract and keep a quality coaching staff.

I don't think people realize how much impact the AS era has had on the franchise. You take the first pick of the draft 2005, a QB, and if he performs even half as much as his potential shows...it's a totally different ballgame we are in today. These discussion's could very well not be taking place. Nolan, the York's, McC, the FO and coaching staff could very well be looked upon as a winning group today. That's what happens when the player you have invested heavily in and are building a franchise around busts out. It really f**ks up the program, it will set you back a decade. That's the real issue...nobody can succeed in the NFL be it owner, coach or waterboy without a winning QB for too long...eventually it will catch up to you and the whole thing will come crumbling down, and drag everybody down with it.

I agree, Trent seems like he has the balls to do what it takes to win. We had a very good draft last year, and he was an intricate part of that. He has to know that a QB and an X and O's coach is needed desperately. With those this team can be successful very soon.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
To people supporting the Baalke hire, let me ask you. If we were to go out and get the director of player personnel from the Bills, Panthers, Broncos, etc. would you still think that was OK? Because what we're doing to fix this team is getting the director of player personnel from a bad team. It's normally guys from NE, Baltimore, NYG, etc etc that get these jobs...not guys from the worst teams in the league. But hey, his first draft was brilliant, because you know, so many of these rookies have been great for us. And if you think rookies don't make a difference, go check out Cleveland's draft, or KC's draft, this year.

The only problem I see with this is, why would anybody from NE, Baltimore, or NY want to come to a team that has such a recent history of inept ownership that has no clue what it is doing? Sure Jed seems to be saying the right thing, but words mean nothing it is the action that counts.

If Jed can pull off a big hire, I am all for it. Although I will not be holding my breath.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by Blitz:

This^^^^^.

I agree, Trent seems like he has the balls to do what it takes to win. We had a very good draft last year, and he was an intricate part of that. He has to know that a QB and an X and O's coach is needed desperately. With those this team can be successful very soon.

You know, when you look at this from an objective strategic standpoint. What has happened to the niner's is really nothing other than the downside of the league moving the NFL into a higher scoring games. The fans love it, the owner's love it, score more points by passing/receiving...but the downside is a big one....if you don't have a winning QB...A franchise is toast and it is very hard to go and fix that problem quickly. It's a simple supply/demand equation when it comes to QB's and a teams success:

The league created a huge demand for top flight QB's , but very little supply is available. If you end up on the wrong side of this equation....it will set a franchise back big time. Everybody will look like a bunch of f**k ups. You get on the right side of it, everybody's a f**king hero.

IMHO.........Damn f**king right the NFL better be helping the 49er's get this going...after all....it was them who created this monster (and it's associated pitfalls) called the QB driven NFL.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 29, 2010 at 08:29:07 ]
A hot coach might well agree to work with an independent and respected GM, but balk at being involved in a sham arrangement with an incompetent owner actually running things.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

The only problem I see with this is, why would anybody from NE, Baltimore, or NY want to come to a team that has such a recent history of inept ownership that has no clue what it is doing? Sure Jed seems to be saying the right thing, but words mean nothing it is the action that counts.

If Jed can pull off a big hire, I am all for it. Although I will not be holding my breath.

If you worked for NE, Baltimore or NY and have no shot of becoming the GM, would you stick around? There are only 32 GM positions in the whole league and they rarely become available, of course, you would jump on it.

• Veteran

Really and exactly what credentials does he bring to the table except for being a college scout?
Originally posted by Chief:
Promoting Baalke makes the most sense. Baalke knows the team, gets along with Jed, knows the job, is well qualified, proved he can run a draft with little to no prep time and is already in house. Giving Baalke the job today gets us a head start on finding and grabbing one of the top coaches.

I agree with Chief. The mad dash for a HC begins in full after this coming Sunday and possibly some more after the wild card weekend. Tic tic tic - that's the sound of our opportunities ticking away.
In this scenario you would have lots of "learning on the job" which the Yorks love for some reason. Baalke, Jed and Harbaugh all growing into their jobs. Get it right Jed or we're screwed for years to come.
  • Roxy
  • Veteran
Kawakami is an absolute idiot in this article. What a mess of speculative, non-informed drivel. I think he was date raped on GHB and somehow ended up stumbling to his laptop in the middle of the night and writing that abomination in a blackout.
I like Baalke and hope he gets the job.
If not he'll be one somewhere else.
Share 49ersWebzone