LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Is frank gore done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yeahhhh....Good points...Half effort is inexcusable...Well, until he gets back to his old form, make him a 3rd down back...If he doesnt improve, ask him to take a pay cut...If he doesnt, release him and take the cap hit because I serious doubt anyone would trade for him with that salary...What do yall think???
Harbaugh will continue to integrate Hunter into the gameplan. Frank isn't done, but his days of being a feature back is.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Hunter is no world beater, but right now he is the better player for us.

Yes, the OL is doing poorly, but when Hunter comes in and immediately starts getting positive yards....with the same crap line, you know it's not all on the OL.
Gore might have been hurt. We don't know. But it looks like he has lost a step.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Ehhhhh okay. His lack of effort these 1st 3 games show up glaringly not only in his mediocre stats but the looking test. Despite his and the O-line's horrid play we actually won this game. He had one key run and that's about it. Thank you Gore for that 3rd down but no thank you for the 35% effort. I don't see legs churning after the first hit. I see apathy in blitz pickup, catching and ball security.

I think the rest of us are dissappionted that Balke et.al. gave in to his renogotiating demands and so far it's looked to be not worth it. So far this season, Gore sucks.

Gore contract is structured so that he could be released this year with minimal cap hit. Though many don't want to admit it, Baalke and the front office absolutely got this one right:

Gore's deal includes injury guarantees but not skill guarantees, giving the 49ers great flexibility from year to year. And he didn't receive any new upfront money in 2011, according to sources. The 49ers could in fact release him based on diminishing production at various times during this season — or the later campaigns covered under the three-year extension — and owe him no guaranteed money.

Gore has base salaries of $2 million in 2012 and $3.3 million in 2013 and again in 2014. The 2012 and 2013 salaries are guaranteed for injury but not skill. Gore could receive a maximum of $6 million in 2012 if he achieves various roster bonuses (including $1 million at the start of the new league year and workout bonuses but, again, if he is released prior to those points for skill, none of that is guaranteed).

Gore also has roster bonuses in 2013 and 2014 and workout and performance bonuses (based on achieving the lofty figure of 1,625 combined rushing and receiving yards), but as a 29-year-old running back facing injury concerns, he didn't receive much full long-term security from this deal.

The 49ers could get out of the contract relatively easily each year with no real cap ramifications, and the totals of this deal reflect the realities for backs in this league as they approach age 30. The lack of full guarantees point to that.

Source: http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/02/gores-contract-with-49ers-lack-guarantees/
Gore looks slow and uninterested. Hunter has the speed to get through those pathetic holes the Oline is setting. I love Gore, but we're a lot better with Hunter in the game. He's quicker and he's hungry.
Father time has caught up to our fav HB... I had been in favor of trading Gore for about 2 seasons now, because about time we get competitive again he'd be on the decline. The numerous knee surgeries and the fractured hip may have finally took it's toll on Frank.. He's lost his first step, which is the most important for a HB... Not to mention the O-line has been tuuuurible... Franks best days may be behind him now..
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Father time has caught up to our fav HB... I had been in favor of trading Gore for about 2 seasons now, because about time we get competitive again he'd be on the decline. The numerous knee surgeries and the fractured hip may have finally took it's toll on Frank.. He's lost his first step, which is the most important for a HB... Not to mention the O-line has been tuuuurible... Franks best days may be behind him now..

Yeah, I'm afraid that might be the case
I was criticized when i first said this last season and even after the first game of this season. After his hip injurt he is not gonna be the same, anyone who thought otherwise wad kidding themself.
Why ohh why did we give him the extension.

I think our front office was listening to some of the posters on the zone.

Originally posted by taney71:

it looks like he doesnt care, those missed blocks just looked like a lack of effort
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Yep. He's lost his heart. The effort on that sack sealed it for me. I would never have imagined that from Frank. Even with his frustration with the line.
Originally posted by taney71:

Lost a step? It looks like he lost a leg.
Originally posted by dmatt:
Yep. He's lost his heart. The effort on that sack sealed it for me. I would never have imagined that from Frank. Even with his frustration with the line.

looked like he was just standing there watching
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Why ohh why did we give him the extension.

I think our front office was listening to some of the posters on the zone.

Bc it was a limited-to-no-risk move.
Share 49ersWebzone