Why in the hell did we bench Troy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
because troy sucks donkey balls, he's proven that he cant throw the ball in under 4 seconds and he is not capable of throwing a pass under 20 yards. His lone TD was pure luck... As much as you despise Alex, he did outperform troy in less than a quarter of play.

yep - alex has certainly shown a strong aptitude for carving up prevent defenses in his career...

to bad the Rams were not in the prevent defense

I believe I remember the announcers stating this, they commented on how the rams D continued to put the pressure on the QB (which is how they ultimately stopped alex) Under Spagnuolo the rams have been known to be very aggressive on D
Spagnuolo has accomplished more with the Rams in 2 seasons than Nolan/Sing accomplished in 6 years. He showed how to use scheme on defense to attack an opponent. He also showed how important it is to have an accomplished OC in charge to not only get the most out of the offense but to develop a young QB. Hopefully Jed has paid attention. He has just seen how it should be done.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFGem:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Why does believing that Alex is our best option have to mean we love him? It doesn't suggest he's great. It doesn't suggest we don't want someone better.

For the record, I think he's solid..not great...not bad...but a far cry better than anyone else on the roster. If we had the rest of the team running on all 8, he would look a lot better...he's just not good enough to carry the team when everything is falling apart.

so what happens to be your position in the church of saint alex? let me take a shot in the dark and guess you are one of alex's altar boys. what did your family think about switching your faith to alexanity?

Did you not read my post or simply not comprehend the words that were written?

i can't take anything you worshippers of Saint Alex say seriously. Your devotion to your faith has rendered any football related thought you form worthless. until the spirit of Alex is exorcised from your being your thoughts on the game of football are worthless.

You are attempting to incite and have been warned, please stop or be banned.
Because he sucks. Truth is we should have benched at least half the team on Offense and Defense. They look like a B league team.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Because he sucks. Truth is we should have benched at least half the team on Offense and Defense. They look like a B league team.

I know they play that way...but I'm convinced it gets fixed with coaching. A good coach can come in with the personel we have right now and go to the play-offs. Especially in our division.
  • fryet
  • Veteran

Why does believing that Alex is our best option have to mean we love him? It doesn't suggest he's great. It doesn't suggest we don't want someone better.

For the record, I think he's solid..not great...not bad...but a far cry better than anyone else on the roster. If we had the rest of the team running on all 8, he would look a lot better...he's just not good enough to carry the team when everything is falling apart.

so what happens to be your position in the church of saint alex? let me take a shot in the dark and guess you are one of alex's altar boys. what did your family think about switching your faith to alexanity?

i can't take anything you worshippers of Saint Alex say seriously. Your devotion to your faith has rendered any football related thought you form worthless. until the spirit of Alex is exorcised from your being your thoughts on the game of football are worthless.

One ad-hominem attack after another. It just shows that SFGem doesn't know how to argue a point.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Esco:

i'll level with you mr esco. im not trying to incite anything. why must i respond seriously to members of the webzone when it comes to the topic of alex smith? is that a rule of the webzone or something?

i honestly just think alex is a joke. a complete bust of a #1 pick. alex is a cancer to the 49ers. the entire nfl knows alex is a joke. yet some people on this message board are obsessed with the idea of alex somehow being a competent qb.

i don't understand why my comments may cause me to be banned. is my opinion as a 49er fan less important because im not married to the idea of alex permanently being our starting qb? please let me know.
  • dj43
i think troy should have remained in the game as well. as soon as they put alex in i knew we were doomed.

now don't get me wrong alex did ok when he went in. but of course alex lost the fumble which was the stake in the heart of our final hopes in this game. alex always does that s**t. it's nothing new. alex is fantastic at losing fumbles and killing our teams every hope for success. troy also fumbled a couple times but we never lost possession of the ball. alex fumbles once game over and it's nothing new. the only satisfaction i got out of this game is that hopefully we are closer to the end of the dreadful alex smith era. alex smith has been a cancer to this team imo.

troy smith provided the only excitement for me this year as a 49er fan. I'd be happy to start the season next year with troy as the starting qb. alex needs to go. i wouldn't even want alex as a backup out of fear he'll find his way back into starting rotation if someone gets hurt next year. im also happy that the alex lovers will soon vanish from the 49er nation.
Your post is typical of watching only the ball and not the poor play of teammates who did not do their job, thereby putting the QB in jeopardy.

Spagnuolo actually watched film and created a defensive attack that the 49er OL were not capable of countering. He repeatedly used the same blitz package but from opposite sides of the line to pressure the QB - the 49ers proved incapable of adjusting to stop it.

Troy got lucky on his fumbles which occurred long after he should have thrown the ball. Alex was not as lucky but it came at a time when he was trying to extend the play to allow receivers to get free - which they never did.

Watch the rest of the game that happens away from the ball and you will begin to understand why Troy was part of the problem, not part of the solution. And, yes, Alex proved to be the better QB of the two, not that that was good enough.

Just as the omen post-game of Singletary being fired proved to be true, Alex as much as said he is out of here by this time next week. The haters will be happy and the franchise will be starting over, looking for a QB that can help them limp along until a rookie can be developed. Good luck with that. Unless they are willing to sacrifice a draft choice or a player, in this QB starved league, they will be lucky to get anyone as good as Alex or Troy.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
i think troy should have remained in the game as well. as soon as they put alex in i knew we were doomed.

now don't get me wrong alex did ok when he went in. but of course alex lost the fumble which was the stake in the heart of our final hopes in this game. alex always does that s**t. it's nothing new. alex is fantastic at losing fumbles and killing our teams every hope for success. troy also fumbled a couple times but we never lost possession of the ball. alex fumbles once game over and it's nothing new. the only satisfaction i got out of this game is that hopefully we are closer to the end of the dreadful alex smith era. alex smith has been a cancer to this team imo.

troy smith provided the only excitement for me this year as a 49er fan. I'd be happy to start the season next year with troy as the starting qb. alex needs to go. i wouldn't even want alex as a backup out of fear he'll find his way back into starting rotation if someone gets hurt next year. im also happy that the alex lovers will soon vanish from the 49er nation.

so fumbling the ball in the endzone for a safety doesn't count as a turnover???

oh yeah that is true. but i actually think that was a bad snap. that was the most frustrating part of yesterday's game to me. we couldn't even properly snap the ball in the first quarter which killed 2 of our drives in the first.

the starting center that got hurt made a terrible snap on our first drive that we are lucky troy was able to scoop up and prevent the turnover. then the backup center comes in and from what i can see he snapped the ball way too hard when troy was in the endzone. i mean he's like 1 foot from the target of his snap and he rocketed back the snap to troy.

if alex had received those 2 bad snaps they would have turned into two lost fumbles that went back for six. troy saved those plays from being worse imo. alex just panicks under any stress and has a knack for giving up possesion of the ball.

A bad snap that hit Troy right in the chest but it was snapped too hard!!!

Oh the humility of being "Rocket Snapped"...

Damn that Wragge for snapping the ball right into his chest so hard...

thats actually how i saw it. perhaps im wrong. but when your center goes out of the game like ours did and a backup center comes in it's likely he will snap different.

but what's odd is both centers the starter and the center had snap issues. you may disagree with me and thats fine. now that the season is over i'm done fighting with alex lovers. you guys could all go join the church of saint alex for all i care.

This whole team sucked because our entire coaching staff sucks so it didn't matter who they played at QB, but our best chance to win this game was with Alex...

With parity in todays NFL, all teams have talent. The difference between the winning teams and the losing teams is the coaching...

If you want proof, just look at what the chiefs have done this year with alot less talent than what is on the 49ers...

What does the Chiefs have...Never heard of Crennel and Weiss. Damn, that's the two original guys that went to the SB with the Pat

I'm not exactly sure WTH your point is and yes I have heard of those coaches???

Try re-reading what I wrote:

With parity in todays NFL, all teams have talent. The difference between the winning teams and the losing teams is the coaching...

Calm down man, I'm actually on your side. Just being sarcastic. Todd Haley was smart enough to get these guys. Unlike Singletary with Raye.

I missed that part, especially with all of the intellectual football minds we have running around here in the RR...

i'll level with you mr esco. im not trying to incite anything. why must i respond seriously to members of the webzone when it comes to the topic of alex smith? is that a rule of the webzone or something?

i honestly just think alex is a joke. a complete bust of a #1 pick. alex is a cancer to the 49ers. the entire nfl knows alex is a joke. yet some people on this message board are obsessed with the idea of alex somehow being a competent qb.

i don't understand why my comments may cause me to be banned. is my opinion as a 49er fan less important because im not married to the idea of alex permanently being our starting qb? please let me know.

If you argued that way, you wouldn't have been warned. You were warned for attacking the person(s) rather than the subject. Basically, you were picking a fight. That is what is not allowed. Now I'm not a mod, but you're welcome to PM him for a direct answer.
Originally posted by dj43:

Your post is typical of watching only the ball and not the poor play of teammates who did not do their job, thereby putting the QB in jeopardy.

Spagnuolo actually watched film and created a defensive attack that the 49er OL were not capable of countering. He repeatedly used the same blitz package but from opposite sides of the line to pressure the QB - the 49ers proved incapable of adjusting to stop it.

Troy got lucky on his fumbles which occurred long after he should have thrown the ball. Alex was not as lucky but it came at a time when he was trying to extend the play to allow receivers to get free - which they never did.

Watch the rest of the game that happens away from the ball and you will begin to understand why Troy was part of the problem, not part of the solution. And, yes, Alex proved to be the better QB of the two, not that that was good enough.

Just as the omen post-game of Singletary being fired proved to be true, Alex as much as said he is out of here by this time next week. The haters will be happy and the franchise will be starting over, looking for a QB that can help them limp along until a rookie can be developed. Good luck with that. Unless they are willing to sacrifice a draft choice or a player, in this QB starved league, they will be lucky to get anyone as good as Alex.

Fixed. I'm sorry, but Troy isn't on the same level...

• tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

quote]

Right there is the difference between winning and losing...

Spagnuolo watches film BEFORE the game and Singletary watches film AFTER the game...

[ Edited by tn9er on Dec 27, 2010 at 09:19:56 ]
  • SFGem
  • Veteran

If you argued that way, you wouldn't have been warned. You were warned for attacking the person(s) rather than the subject. Basically, you were picking a fight. That is what is not allowed. Now I'm not a mod, but you're welcome to PM him for a direct answer.

oh ok. im just so disgusted with the obsession over alex smith i can't even respond seriously to the topic anymore. i also think there's a very good chance the relentless alex supporters are probably a bit racist. im not trying to accuse anyone of racism but it's the only logical explanation in my opinion.

alex has produced six years of torture for 49er fans with his clumsy, panicky play at the qb position. however it sounds like most of you are ready for six more years with alex at the helm. what is going on in your heads must be some sort of blind faith in my opinion. the verdict on alex is in yet alex can do no wrong in the eyes of you guys.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

i also think there's a very good chance the relentless alex supporters are probably a bit racist. im not trying to accuse anyone of racism.

And yet you just did!!!
  • SFGem
  • Veteran

i also think there's a very good chance the relentless alex supporters are probably a bit racist. im not trying to accuse anyone of racism.

And yet you just did!!!

im just stating the obvious.
because troy sucks donkey balls, he's proven that he cant throw the ball in under 4 seconds and he is not capable of throwing a pass under 20 yards. His lone TD was pure luck... As much as you despise Alex, he did outperform troy in less than a quarter of play.

This, alex should have started the 2nd half. It was bulls**t, that troy started the game at all, it was bigger bulls**t that they put alex in with 9 mins left.

WTF 9 mins?
Share 49ersWebzone