LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 373 users in the forums

Simple: Do you want us to make the playoffs or not?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Simple: Do you want us to make the playoffs or not?

I understand why some people (41% that is crazy!!) want us to miss the playoffs. Maybe if the question were phrased differently it woudl get a different result:

Do you want the 49ers to make the playoffs, go to the superbowl, and retain Singletary and Alex Smith (or Troy Smith if he happens to be the QB at the time)

Do you want the Niners to go to the playoffs, lose in the first or second round, and fire Singletary and not re-sign Alex?

Do you want the Niners to tank the next two games and not make the playoffs at all, ensuring that MS and AS are gone?

I think those are the three realistic scenarios (obviously the first one is by far and away the least realistic). If people voted on that I think that would give a better idea of what we are really looking at with this question.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I understand why some people (41% that is crazy!!) want us to miss the playoffs. Maybe if the question were phrased differently it woudl get a different result:

Do you want the 49ers to make the playoffs, go to the superbowl, and retain Singletary and Alex Smith (or Troy Smith if he happens to be the QB at the time)

Do you want the Niners to go to the playoffs, lose in the first or second round, and fire Singletary and not re-sign Alex?

Do you want the Niners to tank the next two games and not make the playoffs at all, ensuring that MS and AS are gone?

I think those are the three realistic scenarios (obviously the first one is by far and away the least realistic). If people voted on that I think that would give a better idea of what we are really looking at with this question.
Why don't you post it as a new thread.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Let's see, upside of us going to playoffs: One more 49ers game to watch this year.

Downside of us going to the playoffs: getting humiliated by whomever we play, getting more affirmation that Alex Smith is not the answer, missing out on the best coaches in the market while the teams who need coaches snatch them up, and dropping from the 8th pick in the draft to the 21st, putting us out of contention for the 2nd and possibly even the 3rd best QBs in the draft.

I think I'd rather we not go.
I picked "I don't care."

This team is not a playoff team nor is it a decent team, it can't even beat teams with winning records. While I will savor the playoff experience, reality will surely hit right about after the first drive of the game - either on offense when we got 3 and out, or on defense when we give up our usual game opening drive TD. Nonetheless, I do want to see them in the playoffs.

On the other hand, it's not only about picking in the top 10, but also picking higher in each subsequent round. There are a lot of holes in this team and the next regime is going to need to be put in the best position possible to win over the long term. That means getting as highest pick possible.

I picked "I don't care" because to me, it's a win-win situation whether we go to the playoffs or not.

-9fA
Just can't bring myself to wish the 49ers to lose... Even if it's for the best
Originally posted by Shaj:
Let's see, upside of us going to playoffs: One more 49ers game to watch this year.

Downside of us going to the playoffs: getting humiliated by whomever we play, getting more affirmation that Alex Smith is not the answer, missing out on the best coaches in the market while the teams who need coaches snatch them up, and dropping from the 8th pick in the draft to the 21st, putting us out of contention for the 2nd and possibly even the 3rd best QBs in the draft.

I agree with 100% , we need the top draft pick . Dropping to around 21 for just being in the playoffs is a killer , when we all know the 49ers can not win the game .
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

I agree with 100% , we need the top draft pick . Dropping to around 21 for just being in the playoffs is a killer , when we all know the 49ers can not win the game .

yes
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I absolutely want us to make the playoffs. Even if the big picture of drafting a top player at the position of need is enticing, I can't for the life of me actually watch a 49er and hope we get scored on, throw picks, go 3 and out, etc. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Honestly, I couldn't of put it better myself.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Would you rather we get in with a 7-9 record, or be one of the teams in the division that couldn't get in with a 7-9 record?

That's like being in a love triangle between two fat chicks with gonorrhea... in the end you're gonna have to f**k one of those fat chicks, and it's not gonna end too pretty.

• boast
  • Hella Fame

yeah, a top draft pick like Dewayne Robertson, Courtney Brown or Joey Harrington?

gimme the playoffs!
Yes although I don't think the coaches deserve it. I want Spikes to go though, not sure if you guys know he has never been to the playoffs.

We all wanted to win the division, we all expected to, but winning with a 7-9 record just wouldn't be the same. Why? Because we were supposed to take the next step this year and compete with the good teams and beat some of them, instead we'd be first 7-9 team to ever make the playoffs and the butt of all jokes. It really pisses me off how bad this team was, and Singletary gets the majority of the blame for it.

I wouldn't be mad if we made the playoffs, I'm not sure how happy I'd be though. I've been waiting years for this, and the fact that this thread exists just goes to show how much this season sucked.
I voted yes, but am kinda apathetic, I get so pissed thinking what could have been this season.

Every team in our division is rebuilding, we are in my opinion the most complete team in the division, with glaring exception of possibly the worst head coach in my lifetime!
We have the talent to have finished 10-6 or better, but with Dingleberry at the helm, we are will be lucky to go 7-9 and slink into the play offs.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I absolutely want us to make the playoffs. Even if the big picture of drafting a top player at the position of need is enticing, I can't for the life of me actually watch a 49er and hope we get scored on, throw picks, go 3 and out, etc. My brain just doesn't work that way.

this is exactly how i feel. Monday-saturday I am thinking about draft position, possible offseason changes, but those 3 hours are the greatest of the week, its not possible for me to root against this team.

Singeltary is gone no matter what. People are worried about draft position but were going to beat arizona and have at least 6 wins and put us around 10-14 in draft position. Might as well win the division, pick 21, be the best of the worst and at least keep 49er football around for another week.
[ Edited by cory4903 on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM ]

We do need that pick, but we've already won too many games to get it, so we might as well go to the playoffs and hope that pigs fly.
Share 49ersWebzone