There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why was Troy pulled from the starting QB spot?

Troy dropped 23% in completion percent from his first start to his last. Thats absolutely horrible. Even the Alex Smith roller coaster is better than the cliff dive of Troy Smith
Because Alex Smith had 1 whole month to get ready to beat a horrible team in the Seahawks
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone is freaking out about Alex's performance against SD, but I called it in advance. Not because he is horrible, as some claim. It is that SD's defense is very good. They are ranked number one in the NFL, and their pass defense is number one. They allow a passer rating of 72.5 for the year. Alex had a QB rating of 66 for the game.

What part of this is so complicated?

The 130 QB rating was not a fair estimation of Smith's game, and neither was the game against the Chargers. He's a player somewhere in between these two extremes, and should be fine next week against the Rams.

P.S. Very surprised the offensive line seems to be getting a free pass from board members this week, and all evil has been assigned to Smith. The OL gave up 6 sacks, and was completely dominated by the Chargers DL.
You know, a #1 overall QB pick is supposed to toss the ball high in the air, step up and knock a couple of 320 D-linemen on their butt, run back and catch the ball as it is falling down, then throw is 50 yards downfield to a streaking Michael Crabtree who has beaten his man by 10 yards. If he doesn't, it is all his fault.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by dj43:

You know, a #1 overall QB pick is supposed to toss the ball high in the air, step up and knock a couple of 320 D-linemen on their butt, run back and catch the ball as it is falling down, then throw is 50 yards downfield to a streaking Michael Crabtree who has beaten his man by 10 yards. If he doesn't, it is all his fault.

But, but... Alex isn't even playing under his rookie contract anymore. He's basically the equivalent of all other journeymen FA QBs we've brought in.

Wait... is that an "Alexcuse"? I'm confused now.
The simple answer is: Beats the hell outta me.

People here seems to have forgotten who was at the helm when they lost to the likes of the Seahawks, Panthers and the Chiefs.

Yet Troy was pulled because he lost to the Bucs and the Packers?

That's like comparing apples to oranges!

But then again logic doesn't and has never applied here!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
The simple answer is: Beats the hell outta me.

People here seems to have forgotten who was at the helm when they lost to the likes of the Seahawks, Panthers and the Chiefs.

Yet Troy was pulled because he lost to the Bucs and the Packers?

That's like comparing apples to oranges!

But then again logic doesn't and has never applied here!

Originally posted by Adman:
Do you agree with that move?

I don't think his play cost us the GB game at all. He had a perfect 50 yarder to Vernon Davis and he dropped it. He doesn't give up many turnovers like Alex Smith. I think it was his worst game he's had while starting for us but it didnt cost us the game at all. No one made plays. His worst game was an average game for Alex Smith.

The one thing I did notice is that I thought he would be a faster runner. But he is acually kind of slow. Alex Smith is much faster. I dont know why neither of them use this ability more.

Troy brings that swag and confidence. Alex brings nothing.

He was pulled because he's not very good.
Didn't really care that he was pulled from the starting QB spot. Both QBs have shown that neither of them are much more than backup material. I thought T. Smith was the better playmaker of the two, but that's just my opinion.

-9fA
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone is freaking out about Alex's performance against SD, but I called it in advance. Not because he is horrible, as some claim. It is that SD's defense is very good. They are ranked number one in the NFL, and their pass defense is number one. They allow a passer rating of 72.5 for the year. Alex had a QB rating of 66 for the game.

What part of this is so complicated?

The 130 QB rating was not a fair estimation of Smith's game, and neither was the game against the Chargers. He's a player somewhere in between these two extremes, and should be fine next week against the Rams.

P.S. Very surprised the offensive line seems to be getting a free pass from board members this week, and all evil has been assigned to Smith. The OL gave up 6 sacks, and was completely dominated by the Chargers DL.
You know, a #1 overall QB pick is supposed to toss the ball high in the air, step up and knock a couple of 320 D-linemen on their butt, run back and catch the ball as it is falling down, then throw is 50 yards downfield to a streaking Michael Crabtree who has beaten his man by 10 yards. If he doesn't, it is all his fault.

Lol, so it's Alex Smith's fault that he was selected no 1? That draft was lacking in quality and smith was overvalued. I can hardly blame smith for where he was drafted.

I really do see the team as the primary problem in this whole situation. Mike McCarthy gave the thumbs up to Alex Smith and he gets Aaron Rodgers. How screwed up is that?
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 272
alex smith is basura. watch this guy aint gonna start anymore next year in the nfl.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone is freaking out about Alex's performance against SD, but I called it in advance. Not because he is horrible, as some claim. It is that SD's defense is very good. They are ranked number one in the NFL, and their pass defense is number one. They allow a passer rating of 72.5 for the year. Alex had a QB rating of 66 for the game.

What part of this is so complicated?

The 130 QB rating was not a fair estimation of Smith's game, and neither was the game against the Chargers. He's a player somewhere in between these two extremes, and should be fine next week against the Rams.

P.S. Very surprised the offensive line seems to be getting a free pass from board members this week, and all evil has been assigned to Smith. The OL gave up 6 sacks, and was completely dominated by the Chargers DL.
You know, a #1 overall QB pick is supposed to toss the ball high in the air, step up and knock a couple of 320 D-linemen on their butt, run back and catch the ball as it is falling down, then throw is 50 yards downfield to a streaking Michael Crabtree who has beaten his man by 10 yards. If he doesn't, it is all his fault.

A #1 QB is supposed to help change the culture of a losing franchise, not become a major part of the problem.
This topic is f**kin dumb. Troy's pretty much on the same level as Alex, they're both decent back ups, and he didn't know the play book as well. To still be complaining about this s**t is ridiculous.
To be sure about the answer to this demanding and resounding question, I must first: look at the film. That is if I can remember to remove my shades first coz its dark in the film room.
Christ, it's not even film, it's a digital file! This guy don't even know the difference! Why don't he say, "first I have to look at the tits on the playmate of the month.."

Booo whaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It is unbelievable how little leeway any OTHER QB on the 49ers roster gets. Alex Smith is given an exponential number of excuses/opportunities to become an average QB while there is absolutely ZERO margin for error with our other QBs (Shaun Hill, Troy Smith).

BTW: Bradford's rookie season > Alex Smith's career.

Believe this, Alex knows the playbook better than any qb we have right now. But it doesn't matter because the oline is crap. You can throw anyone of our qbs back there but at this point the coaches want the one with better knowledge of the plays.

So you're saying if Bradford was on this team, we would be having a better season?

Yup
Sorry. As much as I would like to see better QB play, if the only change was the same Bradford as he came out of college in exchange for Alex, then we will disagree.

The HUGE difference is that though Bradford came from a spread system similar to Alex, from the very first day, Sam had one of the best and brightest offensive minds in the game tailoring the offense specifically for what Bradford could do, and at the rate he could absorb it. Pat Shurmur started with simple plays, with short receivers on very easy throws...at least one, sometimes two on every play, protection schemes were designed specifically for individual plays with easy checkdowns, etc. In short, the entire Ram offense was geared to make Bradford comfortable and able to take the things he did in the spread and apply them to the NFL and then GRADUALLY move into pro style plays...and it has worked, though Sam appears to have hit a wall the past three weeks but he is far advanced over where he started the season.

If Bradford would have started the season with the 49ers and trying to run this offense with the amateurs that are steering this truck, he would be a wreck right now. To compare Bradford NOW to what he was at the beginning of the season is night and day. The very comparison between Smith and Bradford is the strongest evidence to fire Singletary. One has had every advantage to enable his development while the other has had every barrier imaginable thrown in his path.

Great. So in Alex's first 5 seasons you guys clamored about how he didnt have the continuity with his OC needed to excel in the NFL. Now that that theory is out the window, you take a guy that HAS excelled with only ONE year on an offensive system, and excuse that as "well, his OC is a mastermind".

Ok, I'll bite............why didnt Smith excel with McCarthy ? Why didnt he excel with Turner ? Why didnt Martz give him a chance to play ? Arent all of these guys "masterminds" ? How can a first year QB excel under a NEW offensive system, yet Alex failed in all 7 of his ?

Alexcuse number 2 coming right up.........
  • rob28
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 561
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Because he sucks, Alex sucks, David Carr should be bagging groceries somewhere and Nate Davis can't learn fast enough. We do not have a starting caliber nfl Qb or head coach on the roster. We have disfunctional ownership and front office. A who's who of total suck at the coaching staff and a piss poor secondary and swiss cheese o-line. The star wide receiver can't run routes or catch, the d-line while solid cannot put pressure on the opposing QB. The honest truth is this team needs an overhaul from top to bottom.

cosign this, thread over!