LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

Why was Troy pulled from the starting QB spot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It is unbelievable how little leeway any OTHER QB on the 49ers roster gets. Alex Smith is given an exponential number of excuses/opportunities to become an average QB while there is absolutely ZERO margin for error with our other QBs (Shaun Hill, Troy Smith).

BTW: Bradford's rookie season > Alex Smith's career.
Originally posted by Adman:
Originally posted by fly15:
cause Sing is an !diot

And Alex must have incriminating photos of the York family engaged in Acts of *CENSORED.*
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It is unbelievable how little leeway any OTHER QB on the 49ers roster gets. Alex Smith is given an exponential number of excuses/opportunities to become an average QB while there is absolutely ZERO margin for error with our other QBs (Shaun Hill, Troy Smith).

Believe this, Alex knows the playbook better than any qb we have right now. But it doesn't matter because the oline is crap. You can throw anyone of our qbs back there but at this point the coaches want the one with better knowledge of the plays.

So you're saying if Bradford was on this team, we would be having a better season?
Originally posted by baybreaker707:

Believe this, Alex knows the playbook better than any qb we have right now. But it doesn't matter because the oline is crap. You can throw anyone of our qbs back there but at this point the coaches want the one with better knowledge of the plays.

So you're saying if Bradford was on this team, we would be having a better season?

Yup
  • dj43
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Yup
Sorry. As much as I would like to see better QB play, if the only change was the same Bradford as he came out of college in exchange for Alex, then we will disagree.

The HUGE difference is that though Bradford came from a spread system similar to Alex, from the very first day, Sam had one of the best and brightest offensive minds in the game tailoring the offense specifically for what Bradford could do, and at the rate he could absorb it. Pat Shurmur started with simple plays, with short receivers on very easy throws...at least one, sometimes two on every play, protection schemes were designed specifically for individual plays with easy checkdowns, etc. In short, the entire Ram offense was geared to make Bradford comfortable and able to take the things he did in the spread and apply them to the NFL and then GRADUALLY move into pro style plays...and it has worked, though Sam appears to have hit a wall the past three weeks but he is far advanced over where he started the season.

If Bradford would have started the season with the 49ers and trying to run this offense with the amateurs that are steering this truck, he would be a wreck right now. To compare Bradford NOW to what he was at the beginning of the season is night and day. The very comparison between Smith and Bradford is the strongest evidence to fire Singletary. One has had every advantage to enable his development while the other has had every barrier imaginable thrown in his path.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by DANADA:
Originally posted by fly15:
cause Sing is an !diot

Yup

not a chance Bill
We're missing the point. Our starting QB is not on the roster. Starting either T. Smith and A. Smith is like putting a band aid on a sucking chest wound. Don't know if Nate Davis is the answer but why even draft the guy if you're not going to find out? It's a waste of a pick. Playoffs are a mirage. Even if we somehow back in, it is fools gold. The foundation of the team is not solid - from front office, to coaching staff, to players. Making the playoffs doesn't change anything.
Originally posted by dj43:

Yup
Sorry. As much as I would like to see better QB play, if the only change was the same Bradford as he came out of college in exchange for Alex, then we will disagree.

The HUGE difference is that though Bradford came from a spread system similar to Alex, from the very first day, Sam had one of the best and brightest offensive minds in the game tailoring the offense specifically for what Bradford could do, and at the rate he could absorb it. Pat Shurmur started with simple plays, with short receivers on very easy throws...at least one, sometimes two on every play, protection schemes were designed specifically for individual plays with easy checkdowns, etc. In short, the entire Ram offense was geared to make Bradford comfortable and able to take the things he did in the spread and apply them to the NFL and then GRADUALLY move into pro style plays...and it has worked, though Sam appears to have hit a wall the past three weeks but he is far advanced over where he started the season.

If Bradford would have started the season with the 49ers and trying to run this offense with the amateurs that are steering this truck, he would be a wreck right now. To compare Bradford NOW to what he was at the beginning of the season is night and day. The very comparison between Smith and Bradford is the strongest evidence to fire Singletary. One has had every advantage to enable his development while the other has had every barrier imaginable thrown in his path.

Are you kidding me? Do you watch college football? The offense that Utah ran with Alex Smith is WORLD'S different from the offense Bradford ran at OU. There is nothing to compare between the two offense's at all.

Bradford came from an offense where they asked the QB to make a few reads and THROW the ball. Smith came from a presnap read offense. No comparison.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Because he can't throw from the pocket and doesn't know the playbook.

We don't know if he can't throw from the pocket yet. I don't think this offense is designed for a shorter QB. Saints set up Brees so that the pocke has movement so he can shift around into lanes.

Originally posted by Joecool:

We don't know if he can't throw from the pocket yet. I don't think this offense is designed for a shorter QB. Saints set up Brees so that the pocke has movement so he can shift around into lanes.

How or who do you think designed that offense for him....? Expecting something like that from us, currently, is not a possibility.
Originally posted by jreff22:

How or who do you think designed that offense for him....? Expecting something like that from us, currently, is not a possibility.

Which is why Troy does it on his own anyways. Wish Alex would that more.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Which is why Troy does it on his own anyways. Wish Alex would that more.

Running around and throwing it up is not a skill of a good QB. This is not street ball, you cannot win with that mentality.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Do you agree with that move?

I don't think his play cost us the GB game at all. He had a perfect 50 yarder to Vernon Davis and he dropped it. He doesn't give up many turnovers like Alex Smith. I think it was his worst game he's had while starting for us but it didnt cost us the game at all. No one made plays. His worst game was an average game for Alex Smith.

The one thing I did notice is that I thought he would be a faster runner. But he is acually kind of slow. Alex Smith is much faster. I dont know why neither of them use this ability more.

Troy brings that swag and confidence. Alex brings nothing.

In terms of potential, Troy> Alex, but then so are 90% of the qb's in the NFL. I was also surprised that Troy is so slow. I've never seen a slow Black QB before. They are usually much more fast and elusive than white QBs. In particular though, he lacks the ability to accelerate quickly.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Shaj:
Do you agree with that move?

I don't think his play cost us the GB game at all. He had a perfect 50 yarder to Vernon Davis and he dropped it. He doesn't give up many turnovers like Alex Smith. I think it was his worst game he's had while starting for us but it didnt cost us the game at all. No one made plays. His worst game was an average game for Alex Smith.

The one thing I did notice is that I thought he would be a faster runner. But he is acually kind of slow. Alex Smith is much faster. I dont know why neither of them use this ability more.

Troy brings that swag and confidence. Alex brings nothing.

In terms of potential, Troy> Alex, but then so are 90% of the qb's in the NFL. I was also surprised that Troy is so slow. I've never seen a slow Black QB before. They are usually much more fast and elusive than white QBs. In particular though, he lacks the ability to accelerate quickly.

Share 49ersWebzone