There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Justin Smith have been ejected from the game?

I know a ref in the NFL. I know his entire family...

Bottom line, he's there to do a job... keep order. Regardless of what we think of the calls and this and that... it's his job to make sure the players in in check..

that said... It's wrong of Justin Smith to put his hands on a ref and shove him around...he outweighs him, by a whole lot...
I hated the call, but Justin -- based on replay -- gave him just enough of a shove that he was unquestionably bound to get a penalty for. I think Refs should be able to eject by discretion, not this bullcrap automatic disqualification. Because if it's incidental, you've now disqualified perhaps one of the hugest contributor's to one's team.

Keeping the game clean is fine, but when you're treating someone like a criminal for something so minute and incidental.. That's wrong. This rule needs to be altered, because it's just overboard to have auto-consequences. Soon enough we'll get auto-suspensions for personal fouls. The rule is wrong, that's my take.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I hated the call, but Justin -- based on replay -- gave him just enough of a shove that he was unquestionably bound to get a penalty for. I think Refs should be able to eject by discretion, not this bullcrap automatic disqualification. Because if it's incidental, you've now disqualified perhaps one of the hugest contributor's to one's team.

Keeping the game clean is fine, but when you're treating someone like a criminal for something so minute and incidental.. That's wrong. This rule needs to be altered, because it's just overboard to have auto-consequences. Soon enough we'll get auto-suspensions for personal fouls. The rule is wrong, that's my take.

Agreed, Don't get in justin smiths way, when he's talking s**t problem solved!!!
Maybe he did deserve it? The penalty for sure. But that ref needs to be fined and suspended for what he did afterwards. Just because you are a ref doesn't mean you can put your hands on a guy. It has to go both ways. And its not like he was breaking up a fight, those guys were a yard apart. He had no reason to put his hands on him in the first place, and REALLY no reason to push him after he threw the flag.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Maybe he did deserve it? The penalty for sure. But that ref needs to be fined and suspended for what he did afterwards. Just because you are a ref doesn't mean you can put your hands on a guy. It has to go both ways. And its not like he was breaking up a fight, those guys were a yard apart. He had no reason to put his hands on him in the first place, and REALLY no reason to push him after he threw the flag.

THIS!

Guy is a f**king prick!
Originally posted by saj4423:
It was a BS call but he touched the ref.

I'm not sure about that. When the ref already has his forearm pushed into your upper chest/neck area, they're already touching. When Justin "touched" him, they were already touching and it was initiated by Defelice, so he didn't really touch him at all IMO.
CHARGERS WERE PUSSI*S END OF STORY!

I saw a charger run into A.Davis and fall down.

During the J.Smith fiasco, a niner turned away and a charger flopped but the niner grabbed him.

Way to coach flopping Norv.

Brav fu*king O

I hope your team goes down hard.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

During the J.Smith fiasco, a niner turned away and a charger flopped but the niner grabbed him.

Brav fu*king O

They always do in the playoffs
Originally posted by modninerfan:
f**k the refs and and f**k roger goodell

This.

They must have some unspoken agreement to stick it to the West teams. We aren't the only team to get unfairly penalized but you'd NEVER see any of the Linemen from the other teams get ejected for incidental contact with a Ref. We see it all the time in every game. I've seen Refs knocked down harder than that guy got
"shoved out of the way" and they don't throw flags and eject guys.

My issue with this Ref is that he has a whistle, why didn't he use that to intervene with? There ain't a player in the League that don't understand that the guy making the racket with the whistle is the Ref and it's time to get back to the huddle.

Instead Mr. Foream Shiver decided to get in between both guys is 5 feet shorter and caught a bout of short man fever. I hope he gets his hat handed to him on the field for the unprofessional manner in which he handled things.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:

Bottom line, he's there to do a job... keep order. Regardless of what we think of the calls and this and that... it's his job to make sure the players in in check..

that said... It's wrong of Justin Smith to put his hands on a ref and shove him around...he outweighs him, by a whole lot...

Well goody for him, he's an NFL Ref.

Does he handle himself with the unprofessional manner in which that fool handled himself on Thursday night?

Does he intentionally deliver a forearm shiver to the ball carrier or does he do everything possible to avoid contact?

I got no problem with enforcing the rules that are on the books. But if you instigate contact and then get "shoved" aside then that's on you for instigating contact. Much like the stupid penalty on Reggie Smith for delivering a shot out of bounds. Dude already left his feet and their Receiver made his exit AFTER the guy was off his feet. Sorry dude got hurt but this is a game of impact. You know you're going to get dusted up. You don't see Alex whining to the Refs after taking late hit after late hit do you?

Personally I think all NFL Refs need pink slips in the offseason and replace them all with Professional Refs. These fools we have now suck ass in a major way.

I doubt that your acquaintance handles himself in the manner that guy did, but personally I'm fed up with Refs in general. When you make the game about you, than the teams that are playing it then you change the dynamics negatively. This is not just about my team. This is about all teams. The Steelers last two Lombardis' were gift wrapped. Second one not as blatant as the 1st one but the Refs had a hand in the outcome nonetheless.

~Ceadder
Justin didn't realize who he was shoving...be that as it may, by league rules, you touch an official, you're gone. Suppose the ref didn't throw the flag...then you could have players thinking they can get away with it. No, much as I hated to see Justin tossed, it was the right call. One player wouldn't have enabled us to win the game, but it was also clear Justin owned their LT...so, he most likely would've wreaked quite a bit of havoc in the Charger backfield. It was a shame...but, the rules are there for a reason and the ref had to call it like he did.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Justin didn't realize who he was shoving...be that as it may, by league rules, you touch an official, you're gone. Suppose the ref didn't throw the flag...then you could have players thinking they can get away with it. No, much as I hated to see Justin tossed, it was the right call. One player wouldn't have enabled us to win the game, but it was also clear Justin owned their LT...so, he most likely would've wreaked quite a bit of havoc in the Charger backfield. It was a shame...but, the rules are there for a reason and the ref had to call it like he did.

He wasn't "shoving" anyone, he was BEING SHOVED. His hand made contact with a guys arm THAT WAS IN HIS CHEST for all of what, 2/3 of one second? DeFelice is 100% at fault. He made contact with Justin, not the other way around.

I think there's going to be rule changes about officials making contact with the players this offseason.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Wish it had been different, but the rules are the rules, and they are there for a reason.

My understanding though, is that after each game, then again at the end of the season, each referee is given a grade for their performance, and discipline does result - it just isn't publicly advertised. The refs with the best grades get the best assignments and post season appearances (additional money/paychecks), the worst ones don't come back.

This was from an interview with the head of the Officials (Ed Hoculi) by one of the networks (I think it was Fox, may have been CBS) about 2 years ago after a bit of dispute arose after a controversial call at the end of the season. Wish I could remember all the details.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Brav fu*king O

That was hilarious. I watched that about 5 times and died laughing every time.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:

Well goody for him, he's an NFL Ref.

Does he handle himself with the unprofessional manner in which that fool handled himself on Thursday night?

Does he intentionally deliver a forearm shiver to the ball carrier or does he do everything possible to avoid contact?

I got no problem with enforcing the rules that are on the books. But if you instigate contact and then get "shoved" aside then that's on you for instigating contact. Much like the stupid penalty on Reggie Smith for delivering a shot out of bounds. Dude already left his feet and their Receiver made his exit AFTER the guy was off his feet. Sorry dude got hurt but this is a game of impact. You know you're going to get dusted up. You don't see Alex whining to the Refs after taking late hit after late hit do you?

Personally I think all NFL Refs need pink slips in the offseason and replace them all with Professional Refs. These fools we have now suck ass in a major way.

I doubt that your acquaintance handles himself in the manner that guy did, but personally I'm fed up with Refs in general. When you make the game about you, than the teams that are playing it then you change the dynamics negatively. This is not just about my team. This is about all teams. The Steelers last two Lombardis' were gift wrapped. Second one not as blatant as the 1st one but the Refs had a hand in the outcome nonetheless.

~Ceadder

your responses are lame. That ref was getting in the middle of the scuffle on the field, that Justin Smith shouldn't have been a part of anyways. He then shoved the ref out of the way, while he was looking at him....

give me a f**king break.

Alice Smith fans have nearsidedness on all topics apparently eh?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home