There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Justin Smith have been ejected from the game?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jrice80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by johnontilt:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. He touched and pushed a ref. You can't do that.

to be fair the ref SHOVED AN ELBOW INTO HIS CHEST FIRST they may be football players and officials but overall they are men the ref made pushed smith first for no reason and I'm sure smith probably thought it was another player trying to hold him back and he swiped away. I'm so sick of the ticky tack rules in the NFL for everything. The rules are meant to protect the players and the integrity of the game. the rule book isn't meant to be used the way it is today. You could have looked at the situation and seen it didn't deserve an ejection.

The ref was trying to prevent him from going after the Charger player. He shoved he ref. The ejection was deserved. It's symbolic of an undisciplined team which we are.

Sorry, but the ref kept unnecessary pushing Smith while he was going away and Justin shoved him to make him stop. It was a understandable reaction to an unnecessary action by a ref. I can accept the penalty, but that ref should no longer officiate an NFL game if he cannot stay within his responsabilities.

Its kind of like dealing with a police officer who is a prick. There is nothing you can do about it. You can either swallow your pride, or swallow something worse in prison.

The ref was a prick, but Justin Smith is a professional who needs to stay in the damn football game.

Word. Being a consummate professional & position leader in any job requires discipline & mindfulness of the consequences for every action you take.
I just couldn't believe Alex Smith got body slammed TWICE and there was no call.


ANY QB that is decent that gets called. Philip Rivers? 15 yards, EASY.


f**k that, dude. You can't tap a QB's helmet a la Manny Lawson v. Denver, but you can f**king BODY SLAM THEM?!

Un-f**king-believable.
Push ref = ejection.

End of discussion.

We are just an undisciplined, stupid, and unprepared team. That leads you to look higher.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Push ref = ejection.

End of discussion.

We are just an undisciplined, stupid, and unprepared team. That leads you to look higher.

Any time a bunch of fans are whining about refs after a blowout like last night...well, it looks kind of silly to me. The ejection was more self flagellation by the 49ers against themselves IMO.
The rule is the rule. IMHO, howeve, that ref was provoking JS as a minor shoving match was de-escilating. When the Chargers were pinned deep, the NFL (this ref anyway) took the presure off of them by removing JS from the game. This, the "hit out-of bounds" call, and the non-calls on the AS body slams were fixes to keep a bad team out of the playoffs.
As much as I want the 49ers to succeed, they are a bad team this year (thanks Sing) and as we have all seen in every sport the good teams have calls go their way and the bad teams have calls go against them. It is the way it has always been.
It's funny because after the game the official stated that

"Justin basically came at him and shoved him"

Not really what everybody else saw.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,323
Garth DeFelice is a local San Diegan. It pissed me off even more to see him palling around with Phillip Rivers at the end of the game. There Clearly wasn't intend. Clearly, Clete is a liar as well. The whole incident was captured on film, so there is no denying it. http://bensanderson.posterous.com/san-diego-native-garth-defelice-make-game-tur
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,323
Originally posted by 49erAddict:
The rule is the rule. IMHO, howeve, that ref was provoking JS as a minor shoving match was de-escilating. When the Chargers were pinned deep, the NFL (this ref anyway) took the presure off of them by removing JS from the game. This, the "hit out-of bounds" call, and the non-calls on the AS body slams were fixes to keep a bad team out of the playoffs.
As much as I want the 49ers to succeed, they are a bad team this year (thanks Sing) and as we have all seen in every sport the good teams have calls go their way and the bad teams have calls go against them. It is the way it has always been.

That is absolutely the same way that I saw it.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,323
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jrice80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by johnontilt:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. He touched and pushed a ref. You can't do that.

to be fair the ref SHOVED AN ELBOW INTO HIS CHEST FIRST they may be football players and officials but overall they are men the ref made pushed smith first for no reason and I'm sure smith probably thought it was another player trying to hold him back and he swiped away. I'm so sick of the ticky tack rules in the NFL for everything. The rules are meant to protect the players and the integrity of the game. the rule book isn't meant to be used the way it is today. You could have looked at the situation and seen it didn't deserve an ejection.

The ref was trying to prevent him from going after the Charger player. He shoved he ref. The ejection was deserved. It's symbolic of an undisciplined team which we are.

Sorry, but the ref kept unnecessary pushing Smith while he was going away and Justin shoved him to make him stop. It was a understandable reaction to an unnecessary action by a ref. I can accept the penalty, but that ref should no longer officiate an NFL game if he cannot stay within his responsabilities.

Its kind of like dealing with a police officer who is a prick. There is nothing you can do about it. You can either swallow your pride, or swallow something worse in prison.

The ref was a prick, but Justin Smith is a professional who needs to stay in the damn football game.

Word. Being a consummate professional & position leader in any job requires discipline & mindfulness of the consequences for every action you take.

Clear to me he didnt' see that it was a ref. He thought he was pushing another player's hands off of him. If it were another player, he wouldn't have gone flying like that, and it wouldn't have been a big deal. Garth DeFelice is an idiot. It's not the first time he's injected himself in the game.
I guess past good behavior means nothing.

Yes. he made contact with an official... But its not like he went to the guy n pushed em....Yes he should have been ejeted based on the rules....But that ref needs to thinkg about making that personall foul call if a pplayer is going to get ejeted.

J Smith conduct was not the same as lets say Courtney Brown walking up and bullrushing a Zebra.

J smith didnt do it on purpose. He accidently shoved a ref who got into the heat of a fight....


All should be forgiven....the ref was just being a drama queen
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Push ref = ejection.

End of discussion.

We are just an undisciplined, stupid, and unprepared team. That leads you to look higher.

Any time a bunch of fans are whining about refs after a blowout like last night...well, it looks kind of silly to me. The ejection was more self flagellation by the 49ers against themselves IMO.

Not really. Ive seen much worse players do much worse to refs. its on them to call it. THat ref was being apuss.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 946
Nine times out of ten, the official lets it slide or gives a warning. That guy overreacted and made a pure judgment call that could've determined the outcome of the game. A 15 yard penalty is one thing; taking one of a team's best players out of the game is something else. A ref has to be able to keep his head. This guy didn't.

I can't fault the call insofar as the letter of the law is concerned. Justin Smith broke the rule... no question. But some of the best calls a ref can make are the non-calls. This guy made himself too big a part of the game.
Wish that f*gget ass ref would stare me down, I'd knock his f**king dentures out.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,563
It looked like he glanced at the ref before shoving him aside. I don't think he realized what he did until it was too late.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,840
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The call was 100% correct, you can't push a ref, regardless of awareness.

But...

The official could have simply done what the other official was doing and simply blocked his path, he didn't have to be on his little power trip and throw his elbow at him, but he did, and Justin Smith can't be baited by an old man with something to prove on national TV. Smith has to be smarter than that if he is interested in winning a ball game.

I agree