There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Justin Smith have been ejected from the game?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. He touched and pushed a ref. You can't do that.

to be fair the ref SHOVED AN ELBOW INTO HIS CHEST FIRST they may be football players and officials but overall they are men the ref made pushed smith first for no reason and I'm sure smith probably thought it was another player trying to hold him back and he swiped away. I'm so sick of the ticky tack rules in the NFL for everything. The rules are meant to protect the players and the integrity of the game. the rule book isn't meant to be used the way it is today. You could have looked at the situation and seen it didn't deserve an ejection.
This and the 4th down mishap destroyed the morale of what was ........AGAIN....a close game until momentum shifted to the other team.
Originally posted by johnontilt:

to be fair the ref SHOVED AN ELBOW INTO HIS CHEST FIRST they may be football players and officials but overall they are men the ref made pushed smith first for no reason and I'm sure smith probably thought it was another player trying to hold him back and he swiped away. I'm so sick of the ticky tack rules in the NFL for everything. The rules are meant to protect the players and the integrity of the game. the rule book isn't meant to be used the way it is today. You could have looked at the situation and seen it didn't deserve an ejection.

The ref was trying to prevent him from going after the Charger player. He shoved he ref. The ejection was deserved. It's symbolic of an undisciplined team which we are.
no.
There is a gray area for ejections, as there should be. The refs can talk about it, which they did. The ref who got "pushed" (hardly a push but whatever) obviously was on a power trip and wouldn't budge. There needs to be oversight on the refs, they have far too much power and very little repercussions for bad decisions they make.
Yes he made a mistake. Yes it was not a huge mistake but the rules state that a player cannot engage or come in contact with an official for any reason. emotions got the best of him. I feel bad for Smith wasting his time away on this haphazard team.

The ref was trying to prevent him from going after the Charger player. He shoved he ref. The ejection was deserved. It's symbolic of an undisciplined team which we are.

Sorry, but the ref kept unnecessary pushing Smith while he was going away and Justin shoved him to make him stop. It was a understandable reaction to an unnecessary action by a ref. I can accept the penalty, but that ref should no longer officiate an NFL game if he cannot stay within his responsabilities.
The call was 100% correct, you can't push a ref, regardless of awareness.

But...

The official could have simply done what the other official was doing and simply blocked his path, he didn't have to be on his little power trip and throw his elbow at him, but he did, and Justin Smith can't be baited by an old man with something to prove on national TV. Smith has to be smarter than that if he is interested in winning a ball game.
It was a BS call but he touched the ref.
Originally posted by jrice80:

Sorry, but the ref kept unnecessary pushing Smith while he was going away and Justin shoved him to make him stop. It was a understandable reaction to an unnecessary action by a ref. I can accept the penalty, but that ref should no longer officiate an NFL game if he cannot stay within his responsabilities.

Its kind of like dealing with a police officer who is a prick. There is nothing you can do about it. You can either swallow your pride, or swallow something worse in prison.

The ref was a prick, but Justin Smith is a professional who needs to stay in the damn football game.
he barely even touched the ref,...he didnt push him, all he did was get the jackass' elbow out of his chest, it shouldnt have even been a flag...those refs made horrible calls all night long
[ Edited by daWest on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM ]
he should of tackled the ref and threw an elbow to the cheek
It was a ridiculous overreaction by the offical, and then after Smith removes his elbow(shoved), the official has the balls to shove Smith and then give him a staredown? Complete toolbag And to top it off he lists his hometown as San Diego on his facebook

And by the way, contact with an official is not an automatic ejection. It is left to the discretion of the officials.
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
f**k the refs and and f**k roger goodell
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
It was a ridiculous overreaction by the offical, and then after Smith removes his elbow(shoved), the official has the balls to shove Smith and then give him a staredown? Complete toolbag And to top it off he lists his hometown as San Diego on his facebook

And by the way, contact with an official is not an automatic ejection. It is left to the discretion of the officials.

i just sent him a nasty massage on facebook

Garth Defelice for anyone else who wants to