LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Should Justin Smith have been ejected from the game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes. He touched and pushed a ref. You can't do that.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
That ref was trying to look like a bad ass. He jumped between Big ass Justin Smith like he could actually do something. He should of been in the f**king middle of a scrap that was pretty much over, who the f**k is he herb dean? Justin tries to get away and probably thinks it's just a smaller player and when he realizes it's the ref he's already throwing his flag like he just got sucker punched. That ref was a b***h and it made me even more mad when I saw him on the sideline talking to the san diego coaches laughing it up. f**king f*gget ass old man.

and f**k Roger Goodell

the laughing on the san diego sideline irked me too. did anyone else feel that after smith shoved his arm that the ref gave him a slight shove back right in his chest? plus the stare down was a lil uncalled for and over the top
[ Edited by smacII on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM ]
That ref looked like he was on a power trip. He was pushing Smith pretty hard. Smith isn't the kind of player that does that, he said he didn't know it was the ref. Either way that wasn't any worse than the Norris 85 yard hands to the face mask while the SD player had his hand on Norris'.
Originally posted by smacII:
Originally posted by Ajanke:
That ref was trying to look like a bad ass. He jumped between Big ass Justin Smith like he could actually do something. He should of been in the f**king middle of a scrap that was pretty much over, who the f**k is he herb dean? Justin tries to get away and probably thinks it's just a smaller player and when he realizes it's the ref he's already throwing his flag like he just got sucker punched. That ref was a b***h and it made me even more mad when I saw him on the sideline talking to the san diego coaches laughing it up. f**king f*gget ass old man.

and f**k Roger Goodell

the laughing on the san diego sideline irked me too. did anyone else feel that after smith shoved his arm that the ref gave him a slight shove back right in his chest? plus the stare down was a lil uncalled for and over the top

This play really bothers me because the way the ref initially pushed Justin Smith was not a block, it was more of a provocation. Justin Smith looked like he was trying to get whoever was in front of him out of the way, more like swiping away a gnat. Then the referee who has his back turned freaks out and pushes him back.

The referee didn't even see what happened. He lost his cool completely while Justin Smith wasn't holding his arms up like he did something wrong. This whole incident stinks. I hope someone outright tackles this sod next time. Like someone whose third on the depth chart or something. His ejection was a big factor in why Philip Rivers was able to go crazy with the ball.
No that referee was a douche he was damn near elbowing Justin Smith the entire time without laying a hand on the Chargers guy. Justin barely touched that ref and the ref had the nerve to stare him down like he was about to fight him. It was a classic douchebag maneuver and a huge turning point in the game. Once that happened I was like damn we lost.
Originally posted by joebbadass:
There was something about the way the ref jumped into Smith, his demeanor. Also the ref's outrage after the shove looked "put on." It seems there have been a lot of games with selective penalties and non-penalties. I don't like Michael Vick as a person, but the Cowboys seemed to be able to take a lot of extra shots at him last week that would not have been tolerated with the Mannings or Brady.

They said on the broadcast that ref was "old school" and "not afraid to jump in the middle of two guys going at it"
Originally posted by smifunk:
There was something about the way the ref jumped into Smith, his demeanor. Also the ref's outrage after the shove looked "put on." It seems there have been a lot of games with selective penalties and non-penalties. I don't like Michael Vick as a person, but the Cowboys seemed to be able to take a lot of extra shots at him last week that would not have been tolerated with the Mannings or Brady.

They said on the broadcast that ref was "old school" and "not afraid to jump in the middle of two guys going at it"

Anyone remember this game? Same ref, Garth Defelice.

I'm seeing a pattern here.
[ Edited by Dr_Gonzo on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM ]
The shoving match was minor and about to end before that sawed off f**ker jumped into Smith's face. The 15 yard penatly was obvious, but the ejection was entirely ridiculous.

After the game got out of hand the only thing that kept my interest was the hope that one of the Niners would "accidently" drive that a-hole into the turf.
Garth DeFelice is known throughout the NFL has a hotheaded referee with a power trip. DeFelice seems to think he's an enforcer instead of a rules interpreter. You guys remember this hit on Kenneth Darby back in 2008?

That was Garth DeFelice as well.

Know facts: Garth DeFelice is a San Diego native and resident (Facebook Profile). He's also a self proclaimed Smartass with a recovering alcoholic wife.
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
Originally posted by smifunk:

Anyone remember this game? Same ref, Garth Defelice.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Wow, I remembered that picture and was thinking last night is that the same guy. Dude shouldn't be reffing if he has something against the NFL players. Seems like a cranky old man who likes going on power trips.

Maybe we should bring this up and the Smith play and get the "smartass" fired.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IMO, it was both the refs and Smith's fault, but the ref made it bigger than it was, by reacting the way he did. I'm willing to bet Smith apologized RIGHT AFTER he knew it was an official.

Besides this dumbass official has a history.

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO, it was both the refs and Smith's fault, but the ref made it bigger than it was, by reacting the way he did. I'm willing to bet Smith apologized RIGHT AFTER he knew it was an official.

Besides this dumbass official has a history.

I would be happy if both the ref and Justin got fined. But I have never heard of a ref being fined, and I suspect it won't happen.
Fock that ref!

After getting ejected justin should have tackled that focker! He got ejected already for nothin... might as well make it mean something.
Rules are rules, but that ref is a dick.
No way he should have been ejected. Had it been a proven DIRTY player like James Harrison then yes. Justin Smith has been a model citizen on and off the field from day 1 of his career no one can argue that. I can't even remember the last time the man was penalized for anything...The ref was a tool and he shouldn't have been penalized. That said, it really didn't matter as far as the outcome of the game. I have been embarrassed by this team plenty in recent years but I have never been this embarrassed
Share 49ersWebzone