There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Justin Smith have been ejected from the game?

• fryet
  • Veteran
As I understand the rules, the official has to determine if the shoving was intentional. If it was intentional, by rule the player has to be ejected.

Here is a video clip of the incident:
video

Justin Smith says he didn't see the ref, and his shove was more defensive in nature (like one used to shoving off blocks of the OL). On the other hand, he did intend to shove somebody (it isn't like he backed into the ref), and the refs black cap was in his face.

I really could go either way on this.

The one thing that I thought was inappropriate was the behavior of the ref. He stuck his elbow into Justin Smith's chest. That wasn't necessary, and was encouraging a violent response back. I imagine that if the ref had just used his hands to push Smith back, he wouldnt have got shoved back either. But since he behaved in a violent manner, he got a violent response.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
that ref is a bum
  • mod
  • Veteran
f**k the refs and and f**k roger goodell
No, it was obvious he didn't know who it was. Once he noticed you can see he tries to grab him so he doesn't fall. Had it been Ray Lewis or someone of that caliber they probably wouldn't of even threw a flag.

That being said, it didn't matter whatsoever. We still would've gotten blown out. Who knows, maybe it stopped an injury.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Ump had it out for us.

the Niners haven't caught a real game changing break from the officials since Jerry Rice caught the ball out bounds on the Catch II drive vs Green Bay in the playoffs in '99

Originally posted by boast:
Ump had it out for us.

the Niners haven't caught a real game changing break from the officials since Jerry Rice caught the ball out bounds on the Catch II drive vs Green Bay in the playoffs in '99

that was the game where jerry fumbled but the ref said he was down.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
There was something about the way the ref jumped into Smith, his demeanor. Also the ref's outrage after the shove looked "put on." It seems there have been a lot of games with selective penalties and non-penalties. I don't like Michael Vick as a person, but the Cowboys seemed to be able to take a lot of extra shots at him last week that would not have been tolerated with the Mannings or Brady.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
That ref was totally looking for something... what does he expect. He pushed Smith in the middle of a skirmish... and Smith reacted to the refs advances with a push of his own.

I thought maybe another official was going to correct the situation when they huddled up, as it was obvious there was NO intent to push or harm the ref, but I think one that threw the flag stuck to his guns.
That ref was trying to look like a bad ass. He jumped between Big ass Justin Smith like he could actually do something. He should of been in the f**king middle of a scrap that was pretty much over, who the f**k is he herb dean? Justin tries to get away and probably thinks it's just a smaller player and when he realizes it's the ref he's already throwing his flag like he just got sucker punched. That ref was a b***h and it made me even more mad when I saw him on the sideline talking to the san diego coaches laughing it up. f**king f*gget ass old man.

and f**k Roger Goodell
[ Edited by Ajanke on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM ]
There was no way he should have been thrown out. I agree with the penalty because you can't touch the refs but being thrown out was totally excessive and contrary to what that ref said he was not coming at him intentionally. It really was a game changing play because the defense we play rellies on Justin creating havoc in the backfield. Without that pressure the defense was more vulnerable thatn they were already against the 3rd ranked offense. Regardless, Sing and Mike Johnson forgot the basic rule of offense : you need to score points to win. horrible playcalling and poor execution by the o-line killed the run and pass game.
I believe if the flag is thrown for that, he has to be thrown out of the game. Should have been paying more attention to who he was pushing.
Yes. It was his best swim-move of the night!
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Ajanke:
it made me even more mad when I saw him on the sideline talking to the san diego coaches laughing it up.

I think it's obvious, even the refs want Sing fired.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home