LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Shafted by the officials?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
why can't it be that our team is crap AND we got shafted by the officials?

Its not one or the other people, so get over yourselves.

We suck and the officials made it that much harder for us to be competitive. The ejection sucked all the wind out of us, and because we suck and are poorly coached, we could not recover. That's an indictment on the team AND the officials.

The officials are the officials. Nobody was screaming in horror when SD was flagged during Reed's 1st period field goal. The refs weren't certainly evil at that point.

So, which call was the one that was most horrific and changed the game?
The Smith pylon could have gone either way. Smith pushed a ref. Walker grabbed a facemask.

The worst call was on Brown, but that was inconsequential in the game.

The flag on SD was an obvious infraction. The call on Brown was easily the "worst call," though I can't speak to the facemask call because I couldn't see it clearly on my TV.

Obviously the ejection was the "most horrific" call that changed the game. Pretty clear.

The ejection was the game changer, but that wasn't the official's fault. That was all on Justin Smith. Rules are rules, and it is what it is. He said it himself
Originally posted by FourNine49:

We suck and the officials made it that much harder for us to be competitive. The ejection sucked all the wind out of us, and because we suck and are poorly coached, we could not recover. That's an indictment on the team AND the officials.

The officials are the officials. Nobody was screaming in horror when SD was flagged during Reed's 1st period field goal. The refs weren't certainly evil at that point.

The Smith pylon could have gone either way. Smith pushed a ref. Walker grabbed a facemask.

The flag on SD was an obvious infraction. The call on Brown was easily the "worst call," though I can't speak to the facemask call because I couldn't see it clearly on my TV.

Obviously the ejection was the "most horrific" call that changed the game. Pretty clear.

The ejection was the game changer, but that wasn't the official's fault. That was all on Justin Smith. Rules are rules, and it is what it is. He said it himself

and the officials said themselves that ejections are at their discretion, not written into the rule. a 15 yard penalty was the right call on that play, not an ejection.

and the officials said themselves that ejections are at their discretion, not written into the rule. a 15 yard penalty was the right call on that play, not an ejection.

It wouldn't even be an issue if Team Captain Justin Smith kept his cool and played like a well-kept leader.
I know this team is crap and plays like crap on most occasions. But like Hessian said you don't need any help from the refs to make us look any worse than we are.

Bad calls change the game and kill any momentum. To me the facemask penalty was the worst call all night.
[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by prime21:
im not saying we wouldve won but we wouldnt have been forced to pass so damned much, and truthfully, the score didnt get out of hand till the 2nd half when we were forced to pass and ditch the run. All i said was that it wouldve been a different game, especially with J. Smith hounding Rivers all night.

I agree with you. Those calls really killed any momentum or hope that we did have. We where in the game and when it's close you never know what can happen. Our confidence dropped shortly after.

Losing Justin was critical

I'm not blaming the Refs but it was one of the worst called games I've seen in some time

There is no 5 yard face mask penalty anymore they changed that rule and all of those they called even the one on SD during the 9ers TD drive was just that absolute crap

Thank you
  • mod
  • Veteran
The game was officially over when Smith was ejected.

We werent going to win it anyways but the calls overall were horrendous. I even think that fumble on the sideline by josh morgan was a bad call. we got away with that one.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
The game was officially over when Smith was ejected.

We werent going to win it anyways but the calls overall were horrendous. I even think that fumble on the sideline by josh morgan was a bad call. we got away with that one.

Let me give you another one. Smith getting sacked by Garay in the 3rd quarter. He got slammed into the ground. That's roughing the QB, never called. Even Rod Woodson pointed it out on the highlight.
I thought the Justin Smith call was a little harsh. Penalty was reasonable, but ejection? Come on.

The Tarell Brown call was also BS, but I've seen that same call gone against other teams as well. So in that way, I guess I can't complain. It's the judgment of the rule itself that I have an issue with.

I couldn't see the face mask against Norris so I'll give the refs the benefit of the doubt there...

-9fA
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Four horrible calls really stood out to me aside from the constant non holding calls on San Diego.

1-The Justin Smith ejection-Ive seen alot worse than what was the case here, it was not a shove, it was not intentional-Smith pushed the official's hand away, that is not grounds for throwing him out.

2-Alex Smith TD-this was a TD-the one by Vincent Jackson was even less convincing but at home in San Diego he was given the score.

3-Teddy Ginn TD-facemask? where? since when is it illegal to touch another players helmet?-this was definitely not a facemask.

4-Sideline personal foul on Terrell Brown-this one was just ridiculous- how could he have predicted in mid-tackle that the runner would choose to hop out of bounds?-BAD CALL!

This could have been a totally different game if these BULLSH!T calls never took place, but hey San Diego @ home? that says it all.

All of these are dead on, and would have changed the game for us. SD is a much better overall team and we needed every break to go our way to win. Having the refs screw us over sealed out fate.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Four horrible calls really stood out to me aside from the constant non holding calls on San Diego.

1-The Justin Smith ejection-Ive seen alot worse than what was the case here, it was not a shove, it was not intentional-Smith pushed the official's hand away, that is not grounds for throwing him out.

2-Alex Smith TD-this was a TD-the one by Vincent Jackson was even less convincing but at home in San Diego he was given the score.

3-Teddy Ginn TD-facemask? where? since when is it illegal to touch another players helmet?-this was definitely not a facemask.

4-Sideline personal foul on Terrell Brown-this one was just ridiculous- how could he have predicted in mid-tackle that the runner would choose to hop out of bounds?-BAD CALL!

This could have been a totally different game if these BULLSH!T calls never took place, but hey San Diego @ home? that says it all.

All of these are dead on, and would have changed the game for us. SD is a much better overall team and we needed every break to go our way to win. Having the refs screw us over sealed out fate.

Yes, well, we also needed to take advantage of every opportunity, and didn't. D. Walker should have made the catch when the ball landed in his hands for a big gain, we should have scored when we were 6 inches from the goal line, Ahmad Brooks should have intercepted Rivers' pass deep in Charger territory, and on and on and on. But the problem is that we are a bad team, and bad teams allow opportunities to slip away and in turn allow the officiating to affect the game this much.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i'll say it again... it didn't matter.

we weren't winning this game with or without the calls. you don't lose by 27 and blame it on the refs i'm sorry...

You do realize it would have been a totally different game though? We downward spiraled after those calls/plays. I will throw in Brooks' dropped INT as well but that is us not the refs. We left like 21 points on the field on offense/defense.
The facemask penalty to me was horrendous. The Ted Ginn TD was good IMO. But we got burned on that. It wouldn't matter though.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM ]

It wouldn't even be an issue if Team Captain Justin Smith kept his cool and played like a well-kept leader.

I posted this in another thread but I want to point out here too....That ref, Garth Defelice, was the same guy who tried to punch a rams player when we played them last year, anyone remember? It seems like he is a hot headed a*****e himself who can barely hold his s**t together.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i'll say it again... it didn't matter.

we weren't winning this game with or without the calls. you don't lose by 27 and blame it on the refs i'm sorry...

You do realize it would have been a totally different game though? We downward spiraled after those calls/plays. I will throw in Brooks' dropped INT as well but that is us not the refs. We left like 21 points on the field on offense/defense.

Agree, if you say the calls especially early dont matter you dont know what you're talking about. MOMENTUM is huge in football; that game could have been a lot closer and gone either way if that Alex's TD stood (which it should have there is no way there was any evidence clear enough to over turn that call) and justin didnt get thrown out. You could just see the team fall apart after that.
Maybe if we were a more experienced team they wouldnt have fallen apart as easily but fact is we arent and terrible calls will affect us more.
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:

I posted this in another thread but I want to point out here too....That ref, Garth Defelice, was the same guy who tried to punch a rams player when we played them last year, anyone remember? It seems like he is a hot headed a*****e himself who can barely hold his s**t together.

LMAO, that's one bad ass ref.
Share 49ersWebzone