LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Good things about this game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by new49er:
It proved that we sucked.
Every time this team comes off a victory, I give myself hope.
Our defense is not that great, our offense can not move the ball, and special teams have not broke one this whole year.
I hope by the end of this week, we are officially out of the playoff race, so I can just move on and look forward to next year.
Amen.

Don't feel bad, man. That's just being a good fan that can see the potential this team has. We just dropped the ball in every conceivable way tonight. At least you kept some faith... that resilience may hurt more now, but it's always what makes a true fan, come what may.
Epic face palm at it all. The futility of the coaching the ownership. This game should tell Jed that the coaching is retarded and save for a bit of dumb luck here and there this season, it has been all year long.
I don't blame Alice. He really is the least of our problems. It's inevitable that he will go somewhere else and then become a better player just because he'll be surrounded by ppl with a clue.
You don't become a fan overnight. It's like a relationship you go through, the good and the bad. As a fan the problem I see are the Yorks, can they ever win? They are nearing a decade of ownership and haven't moved from square 1.
~ Dingletary is very likely gone.

~ Alex probably will be.

We will still be stuck with Yorks and no GM...
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
There is always a silver lining! With this game it is multi-faceted.
1. We can finally stop the crazy talk about playoffs. Even if we were numerically in it, it is even more painfully obvious we have no business being there.
2. Sing should finally be gone at the end of the season.
3. The Alex experiment may finally have run it's course.
4. We can watch the playoffs without being so emotionally invested and keep our blood pressures down.

Alex had next to nothing to do with the loss today.. So I don't see how that comment makes any sense.

The rest, sure.

We've established that our defense is horrendous, our mental capacity, discipline, and all things having to do with preparedness, preparation and coaching are all horrendous.

Nate Clements will be entering his 11th year next year I believe -- It's time to bring in a new-comer. Dangling Clements and adding a stud corner and pass rusher in the FA/Draft could be a wise move.

We need new players all around. QB, DL, LB, CB, S, OL, WR, RB/FB, K -- The only position we're set at is TE and Punter. The mock I've posted up in the draft forum recognizes these needs, and hopefully with the addition of a competent coach (and staff with him) helps us achieve what our team is capable of, rather than constantly underachieving for the talent level we possess.

QBs don't beat the SD Chargers.

The Chargers D is good. Especially the pass D. We had no shot at it after the opening TD by Jackson.

Cmp/Att Yards Avg TD INT QB-Rating
Player A v. Chargers D
31/48 285 5.9 2 4 59.8

Player B v. Chargers D
19/29 165 5.7 0 1 66.0

Player C v. Chargers D
18/31 198 6.4 1 0 87.8

Player D v. Chargers D
19/32 159 5.0 1 0 82.7

A = Peyton Manning
B = Alex Smith
C = Bradford
D = Brady

Both Manning and Smith lost. None of them had "great games" and everything was dink/dunk.

You beat SD with a strong running game, Defense and ST. Heck..NE won with 179 yards of total offense!

If you were expecting Smith to go nuts today and win you are delusional.
1. We can finally stop the crazy talk about playoffs. Even if we were numerically in it, it is even more painfully obvious we have no business being there.
4. We can watch the playoffs without being so emotionally invested and keep our blood pressures down.

this is an overreaction. we pretty much knew that we we're going to be hard pressed to win this one. what we need...

KC (getting Cassel back) to beat StL
Seattle at Tampa next week (TB needs to win)
we need to beat the Rams (we have a week and a half to prepare for this)
need to beat Arizona at home (not hard)

i would not be surprised if we won out... i expect Seattle to lose to Tampa... really a lot of it comes down to KC vs. StL
Originally posted by Wubbie:
This game didn't really confirm anything to me that we didn't already know.

Singletary - Weakness in X's and O's.

Alex Smith - Generally responsible with the football. (Threw his only pick on a desperate 4th down attempt). Doesn't make any electric plays though.

O-Line - Young and inexperienced.

Defense - Lack of a consistent pass-rush and/or solid secondary continues to hurt us.

Mistakes - Still there.

This
The best thing about the game was that it ended.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Alex had next to nothing to do with the loss today.. So I don't see how that comment makes any sense.

The rest, sure.

We've established that our defense is horrendous, our mental capacity, discipline, and all things having to do with preparedness, preparation and coaching are all horrendous.

Nate Clements will be entering his 11th year next year I believe -- It's time to bring in a new-comer. Dangling Clements and adding a stud corner and pass rusher in the FA/Draft could be a wise move.

We need new players all around. QB, DL, LB, CB, S, OL, WR, RB/FB, K -- The only position we're set at is TE and Punter. The mock I've posted up in the draft forum recognizes these needs, and hopefully with the addition of a competent coach (and staff with him) helps us achieve what our team is capable of, rather than constantly underachieving for the talent level we possess.

Alex had alot to do with the loss. How about not willing to throw to his best target or unwilling to attempt to throw his receivers open. He suck!
Davis drew double coverage most of the night. He wasn't open...ever.

Which brings me to something that has bugged me for quite a while: A lot of people throw around this term "throwing a receiver open" as that is a easy to do as sticking the key in the ignition and the engine starts.

You can't throw to a receiver that is not getting separation once you throw the ball. If you do that the DB has a much chance to get the ball as the receiver. There is no magic that happens to a guy who hasn't been open all night that will bring him open if you throw the ball his way. That term needs to go away. It is way overused. The 49ers DON'T HAVE ANY RECEIVERS THAT CAN RELIABLY GET OPEN. NONE. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE THE QB THROWS THE BALL...THEY AREN'T OPEN.

Further, it isn't just about getting open. The receiver has to be open while the QB has a passing line to throw through. Tonight the OL was NOT giving Smith any open passing lanes.

There is just SO MUCH to this game besides just watching and blaming the QB for all that goes wrong. As OTC said, one of the very best posters on here said earlier, Alex Smith had next to nothing to do with this loss. There were so many other people that contributed more to this loss than Alex Smith that they would fill a bus full before Alex even got to the door.

So true our wrs cant get seperation and ol is so bad. Note to sing do not start a rookie at rt unless he gets better....which he has not. Alex is not a good qb but he is definitely above average. He looked great last week bc our wrs were getting seperation and the ol was actually GIVING HIM TIME which most other qbs have. Until our ol gets better our offense will look like crap.

All true, incl that Alex is not a great or even good QB! Which illustrates my point about the "Alex experiment". To say he had nothing to do with the loss, as the other poster claimed, is simple wrong. He DID play a part in the loss in that unlike a number one pick QB, he also did nothing to make us at least more competitive in this game. A truly good or great QB would have found ways to at least make the O less pathetic. C'mon, after 6 years, isn't there enough evidence about Smith? He continues to be erratic and inaccurate even when by some miracle, a receiver gets open and he has time. Yeah, our O-line still sucks, our receivers don't get seperation, the running game is up and down, etc, etc. Smith may indeed do better on a better team, but he hasn't been, nor will he ever be worthy of that number one pick, or even being picked in the first round at all. He just isn't the answer!!!! Not now, not ever!!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by seeking6th:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Jeff Reed is still perfect.

oh yeah, don't let him on the plane, too

I know, why did we just not kick the field goal again, were closer he just made it! Playing to loss the game, sing is to brilliant, but i think norv just out smarted you all game...
eh, I don't have a problem with the decision to go for the TD rather than the field goal. You can't start trading field goals for touchdowns with a team like the Chargers that have so much fire power.

The problem was the play call, not the decision to go for it. The decision was telling the offense you have confidence in them to score. That was a good thing. The bad thing was the alignment that gave the 49ers no check out options.

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by seeking6th:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Jeff Reed is still perfect.

oh yeah, don't let him on the plane, too

I know, why did we just not kick the field goal again, were closer he just made it! Playing to loss the game, sing is to brilliant, but i think norv just out smarted you all game...
eh, I don't have a problem with the decision to go for the TD rather than the field goal. You can't start trading field goals for touchdowns with a team like the Chargers that have so much fire power.

The problem was the play call, not the decision to go for it. The decision was telling the offense you have confidence in them to score. That was a good thing. The bad thing was the alignment that gave the 49ers no check out options.

Serious us fans even knew when the blocking TE stays in motion behind the Line we are going to run up the middle. A play action boot leg would of had Alex run in untouched!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

The rest, sure.

The Chargers D is good. Especially the pass D. We had no shot at it after the opening TD by Jackson.

Player A v. Chargers D
31/48 285 5.9 2 4 59.8

Player B v. Chargers D
19/29 165 5.7 0 1 66.0

Player C v. Chargers D
18/31 198 6.4 1 0 87.8

Player D v. Chargers D
19/32 159 5.0 1 0 82.7

A = Peyton Manning
B = Alex Smith
C = Bradford
D = Brady

Both Manning and Smith lost. None of them had "great games" and everything was dink/dunk.

You beat SD with a strong running game, Defense and ST. Heck..NE won with 179 yards of total offense!

Oakland beat SD by pounding them with the running game.

The 49ers started off running very well, then on that 3rd & 2 play they called that ridiculous speed screen which failed. At that point, SD hadn't stopped the run yet. They should have pounded the run again. In that situation you don't change the strategy until the opponent proves they can stop it.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

The rest, sure.

Player A v. Chargers D
31/48 285 5.9 2 4 59.8

Player B v. Chargers D
19/29 165 5.7 0 1 66.0

Player C v. Chargers D
18/31 198 6.4 1 0 87.8

Player D v. Chargers D
19/32 159 5.0 1 0 82.7

A = Peyton Manning
B = Alex Smith
C = Bradford
D = Brady

Oakland beat SD by pounding them with the running game.

The 49ers started off running very well, then on that 3rd & 2 play they called that ridiculous speed screen which failed. At that point, SD hadn't stopped the run yet. They should have pounded the run again. In that situation you don't change the strategy until the opponent proves they can stop it.

I agree we should have stuck with the run more. But our coaching staff has proven over and over again they have no idea how to attack other teams or identify a weakness.

We were set to get the ball in the 2nd half so we could maintain our run attack even if down 1-2 scores and keep it competitive. Instead we fell apart...again
The only good thing about this game, was that i was able to watch on my own TV in my own living room and serve myself as many beverages as i wanted.

Then they played the game and proceeded to look like horses!*t
The best thing about this game, and what I was hoping for, was public humiliation on a grand scale, in front of a national audience. The worse the horror, the better likelihood that we can move in a new direction, with a new head coach, possible new GM, and more.

The uglier, the prettier.

Marshall Faulk pre-game assessment of Mike Singletary: "I think he is doing a great job". And, the entire set of commentators said that Mike should be given more time.

I hope that all of their eyes were opened to our nightmare, which sadly is reality.
Share 49ersWebzone